Cornwall Football Forum

THE F TROOP- AFTER THEY WERE FAMOUS!!!!

Guest john

What ever happerned to the F-Troop? They were the Falmouth Town supporters who use to sent terror down the backs of visiting teams!! They were vocal and perhaps abusive but they were great.

Does anyone have any memories to share?

Where are the members now?

Who were the members of the F-TROOP?

I guess they probably disbanded as they had children, got married, jobs, e.t.c But would it be good to get them back??!?

:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink: :drink:

I remember when i started watching Town in the mid/late 80's me and my mate used to stand near the F- Troop to listen to the banter, and pick up a few choice words!! Early memory, Rappo scoring at the clubhouse end and running behing the goal slapping everyones hand. Quite how he ran in those extremely short shorts I will never know!!

Pretty sure John Little, big guy fuzzy grey hair and beard passed away a few years ago now.

Gary Spiler is now supporting Truro, who would have thought that yrs ago!!?

Afraid thats the only names I can remember from those days

Guest Postie Pidge

1991/92 South Western League Cup Final at Bodmin

Falmouth Town 5 Devon/Cornwall Police 0

The F-Troop on the bank at the clubhouse end second half started chanting "Philpy Philpy give us a wave" and worked their way through the team.

There was also the incident in 1997 when after the SWLC final at Newquay against Truro, in the furore, the Jewson Champions banner went missing and ended up being paraded around the Treyew Road clubhouse before the F-Troop were told in no uncertain terms to leave!

Guest Damian Stevens

quite a bit more than that happened Pidge at Truro City club house if you remember !

there was some great charachters in the F-Troop , Gary Harrington , big Rick Matthews , John Little , Andrew Davis, Graham Browning to name a few, all gave me so much sh*t when i played for Truro against Town !

one or two have had children and almost grown up ! one or two passed away , i still see Rick ( closet Truro City Fan !! ) Matthews around and Gary Harrington around .

Great days those were but we are all a little older and wiser now, certainly not many of us left. The highlights for me were the many F.A.Vase weekends. Always praying for an away draw back then.

Melksham and Cirencester F.A. Cup trips were particularly good weekends. Only problem was we always lost.

Pimmy with 8 cans of tennants super on the way home from Arlesey Town !!!

Sledges face when we started singing 'Western League w@*k w@*k w@*k' at Ilfracombe

There are lots and lots of good memories

and Damien when did we ever give you any stick ?

Back in the eighties I travelled to Holsworthy and ariving in the sleepy market square I was met with the marauding invasion of F'Troop who certainly livened up the place.

During that season they produced regularly their own 'Fanzine' which was titled 'Timmy Goes To Torrington' (TGTT).

I thought at first it referred to current player Timmy Allen but it was later confirmed to be Timmy Snow -so there is another name of F'Troop.

The magazine was toned down on its content after a request by manager of the day Dave Wadd.

Guest Postie Pidge

I'm not sure if the late great "Sabu" was a member of the F-Troop but there was the story of a Vase game (possibly Westbury) where he drank so much he fell asleep in the grass behind one of the goals and was discovered by a young girl who said she'd seen a dead man in the grass!

Talking to Henry of Constantine-he tells me this is his 50th.season supporting Town and he is writing his memoirs of those years.

With such a great memory that publication would be a 'must have'.

One frightening F.A.Trophy tie (early 70's) at Barry Town, South Wales would make a chapter all of its own.

I wasn't there but can anyone recall the happenings then?

Senior Cup Final Day was always special for 'Sabu' and I would look forward to 5 minutes before kick off with 'Sabu' on the pitch giving every Town player a personal 'Gee Up'

I'm still getting alot of stick still from Graham Browning for playing for Truro,St Darren i think you find that a certain falmouth supporter found his way onto Steve Tabbs fist,those were the days damo playing shoot the pot on away journeys and woody forever shooting and losing.

I was on that trip to Barry Town. Not a very hospitable place. If I remember correctly (it is a long time ago), the ground had a funny layout. One end the terracing was quite low behind the goal, and to the left it rose up a bit like behind the clubhouse end at Bickland along the side to what I believe was the clubhouse at the other end. On leaving the ground the coaches were pelted with stones by the locals and if I remember correctly some of the windows were cracked. I believe that on the way back, Freddy Phillips who organised the coaches had to be taken to Musgrove Park hospital at Taunton with a suspected heart attack.

Back to the F Troop, another member was Rob Pyatt. He still watches Town. Damian, I don't think that there is any way that big Rick Matthews is a closet City fan. His mates would disown him if he was. Does anyone remember Brian "Sissy" Searson. I have memories of him back in the "Clockwork Orange" days booting a visiting Yeovil Town fan all the way down through the grandstand, onto the roof of one of the dugouts and across the pithc being followed by members of the local constabulary. Oh, happy days. :drink:

I remember a big guy(although i was still young)called Gonzo or Bonzo.

And Jamie Johnson when he got older,though he's a couple years younger than me.

One Cup Final against Liskeard at Snozzle,where this guy walks past in flares,and Jamie starts singing Ding Dong,Ding Dong.

At at St.Blazey where two female pc's stand in front of us,and we all start dancing and singing "Lets all av a disco"

Can remember a song about pushing a wheelbarrow.

I still see one of the F Toop at Bickland now,don't know his name though,and I've seen Graham there a few times.

Ironically,i sure one of them joined the Police force.

Guest Damian Stevens

i am jesting about big Rick being a ' Closet Truro fan ' of course , but he was living a stones throw from Treyew road for a while and rumour was he was spotted spectating on one occasion !

Big No5 , who are you ? im remember playing ' shoot the pot ' on away trips , Tristan Wood would be suicidal on some away trips ( what happened to him ? ) , blowing a fortune ! i once lost £30.00 between Truro & St Blazey once , if that wasnt bad enough i jumped out the side door off the mini bus totally p*ssed off & not looking ( was injured ) and got hit by a passing car and went over the bonnett ! now thats bad luck !

also replying earlier to St Darren ,i think you meant John Burrows not Matthews and yes Adrian Bleasdale was class, a great partneship with Johnny in midfield.

Damian, that was pretty damn unlucky mate!

Although I was a youngster and new on the scene, they were some really memorable times back then and my fondest in football.

We certainly had some real quality in the side. Like you say Bleasy and Jonny Burrows (Youre right St Darren- JB was bloody hard!) were untouchable on their day and had some top battles with Sledge, Sage and Rower in the Derby games v Falmouth and as youve already mentioned Steve Wherry was a superb player (never known any player to be able to turn in such little space and tight areas!). Coops definately had some options back then, Reds, Tall's, Justin Norman, Sean Cooper and of course yourself!

Would love to know where Woody is now. Didint he live in Newquay back then?? He must only be around 34/35 now isnt he?

i am jesting about big Rick being a ' Closet Truro fan ' of course , but he was living a stones throw from Treyew road for a while and rumour was he was spotted spectating on one occasion !

Phew! I've known Rick for years, lived in the same street when we were kids. He's Town and always will be, I saw him at the senior cup game against Truro at Porthleven and he was cheering for Town that night.

:rolleyes:

SABU was a legend and is sadly missed by all at Falmouth Town. He seemed to get all the gossip long before anyone else and 9 times out of 10 he was right.

I remember Sabu going on a trip organised by Keith Hampson. We were going up north to see Man Utd play. On the way up we were in the vicinity of Birmingham/Wolverhampton and Sabu looked out of the coach window. Seeing floodlights in the distance, he asked which ground that was? Sadly, it was a British Rail goods yard with lots of lights.

Upon arriving in Bolton, we got to the hotel where we were staying (The Pack Horse Inn) and just after getting off the coach, Sabu saw this young lady standing alone outside the hotel. He went straight up to her and shook her hand, announcing to her that he was "Sabu" and asked if she know that "All roads lead to Bickland Park". She looked a bit bewildered by this strange character and her boyfriend who had noticed the goings on came over to see what was happening. Sabu made his apologies and beat a hasty retreat. Wonderful memories of a great character. I will have a drink to SABU. :drink:

He was also a useful fearless goalkeeper for Porkellis and in my days as Pengegon secretary we went to an address in Redruth to get him to sign a transfer form.

His name was Terrence Pascoe and I presume it was his wifewho answered the door and we politely asked for Terry-she turned around and shouted up stairs 'SAAAAAB' its for you.

What was the story about a women referee who got winded by the ball and it was Sabu first on the scene giving the' kiss of life'

thats the one Damo! Burrows!! hard bastard he was in the middle of the park

went on a weekend with,j.b and a bleasdale,butlins minehead,lost loads on johns cert horse tips,and cant remember much about the weekend,think perranwell were there aswell,nicky meds was getting over a broken leg,didnt seem to stop his drinking though,good times,and also remember gary penhaligon who was playing for nanpean at the time, :drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink: :drink:

Evening all,

Not too sure how I am considered a member of F-Troop, but I do have many fond memories of supporting Town! Rick, Gary, Robbie you guys led me astray!! hahaha. Bridport away in the Vase springs to mind !! Matters, on a personal level, got clouded at Bickland when I got banned for 12 months in 2003 with no explanation .... guess you should never mix politics and pleasure!! :D:D Lesson learned.

Anyhow I don't watch much football nowadays, let alone have any allegiances to any club in particular. After spells with Penryn (very enjoyable) and Truro (good crack with the supporters but a lot's wrong in the higher echelons) I enjoy my winters hibernating due to my commitments within speedway; I currently manage the Plymouth Devils.

Respect to all,

Gary Spiller.

After reading this i went and dug out all my old programme's from 94-99. I was a 10 year old when i first went along with my uncle to watch and was in awe of the F-Troop and a good reason as to how i've turned out!! Some good times had going along to Bickland and a few away trips, Cup Finals!!

It was a shame to go along last season and watch Town v Truro City in the FA Cup and to see hardly any of the F-Troop there and see Truro sing all game and some Falmouth born and bred in there with there Corparate FC Jackets, Shirts etc!!!

All Roads Lead To Bickland Park!

F-Troop, Gone, But Not Forgotten!!!!

What ever happerned to the F-Troop? They were the Falmouth Town supporters who use to sent terror down the backs of visiting teams!! They were vocal and perhaps abusive but they were great.

Does anyone have any memories to share?

Where are the members now?

Who were the members of the F-TROOP?

I guess they probably disbanded as they had children, got married, jobs, e.t.c But would it be good to get them back??!?

:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

I remember some of the names , gunner hocking pyatt doyle pimmy sissy browning powell Lannion Johnson . chris lannion could belch at one end of the ground and you could hear it at the other end! Also remember Frome town at home 78 may be 79 the goal mouth was covered in toilet roll and the bloke on the tannoy had to beg the F troop to stop throwing any more!! :drink:

F-Troop!!! :clapper: Great bunch of lads and im sure Tommy will agree they were worth an extra man some games.Nothing better than seeing a packed clubhouse end with a floodlight game at Bickland back in them days!!! Thanks for the memories lads :thumbsup::c:

ps) Those shorts wudnt get around my ankle now Dunc!!! :(

Chris Lannions belches always got a round of applause. He also managed to wind up every goalkeeper (and Mike Honey) in the south western league with ease. I remember one evening when we played St.Blazey, we had a penalty and I think he had every Blazey player stood around the box wound up. True Genius ! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Another name Dave Powell ? Gary Spllier?

I use to work with David Powell! He told me a story about a trip away to St.Blazey. He said they were all in the back of a white van. In the distance they saw Steve Massey walking towards them! They then all jumped out the van and scared the shit out of him!

But yes i remember the F Troop in their later years and they were a good laugh. I do not think their language/behaviour would be so much accepted these days. But there were some good people in the group.

After reading this i went and dug out all my old programme's from 94-99. I was a 10 year old when i first went along with my uncle to watch and was in awe of the F-Troop and a good reason as to how i've turned out!! Some good times had going along to Bickland and a few away trips, Cup Finals!!

It was a shame to go along last season and watch Town v Truro City in the FA Cup and to see hardly any of the F-Troop there and see Truro sing all game and some Falmouth born and bred in there with there Corparate FC Jackets, Shirts etc!!!

Well you didn't look very hard mate, there was a good turn out of the F-Troop boys at the game against the Treyew Road mob. Admittedly they were a bit more spaced out (errr...) and not grouped on the back wall.F-Troop not gone and never forgotten. lol

The F-Troop are, and will always be, the most loyal Cornish supporters and our allegience to Town is unquestionable, we are just a bit older and a bit less able to make the full commitment to saturdays (plus going to watch Chelsea gets in the way a bit lol).

A message to Damo - Don't let those idiots sing lol (Go Pistoleros - top band)

& Rick a closet Treyew Roader!!!!?? Never ever gonna happen. EVER!!!!

Town Fan - cheers Nige

Sabu RIP

Keep The Faith

Falmouth Til I Die

Bozman

i spent a few hours yesterday in the company of 2 of the famous F Troop and showed them this thread and they thought it was great, and i think they will be on the site to share some memories with everyone,

i heard some great stuff yesterday :c::c:

Will, you old tart, thanks for showing us the thread.

A few stories might appear on here, you never know. :ninja:

Someone should write a book lol

:c::drink: :clapper:

Well you didn't look very hard mate, there was a good turn out of the F-Troop boys at the game against the Treyew Road mob. Admittedly they were a bit more spaced out (errr...) and not grouped on the back wall.F-Troop not gone and never forgotten. lol

The F-Troop are, and will always be, the most loyal Cornish supporters and our allegience to Town is unquestionable, we are just a bit older and a bit less able to make the full commitment to saturdays (plus going to watch Chelsea gets in the way a bit lol).

A message to Damo - Don't let those idiots sing lol (Go Pistoleros - top band)

& Rick a closet Treyew Roader!!!!?? Never ever gonna happen. EVER!!!!

Town Fan - cheers Nige

Sabu RIP

Keep The Faith

Falmouth Til I Die

Bozman

Well Bozman why dont you try and get your backside back up to bickland and watch the boys play today against launceston ? I will be there to give you a warm welcome, I might even buy you a pint of Export! :c:

i spent a few hours yesterday in the company of 2 of the famous F Troop and showed them this thread and they thought it was great, and i think they will be on the site to share some memories with everyone,

i heard some great stuff yesterday :c::c:

Will, you old tart, thanks for showing us the thread.

A few stories might appear on here, you never know. :ninja:

Someone should write a book lol

:c::drink::clapper:

Well Bozman why dont you try and get your backside back up to bickland and watch the boys play today against launceston ? I will be there to give you a warm welcome, I might even buy you a pint of Export! :c:

Damned Damned Damned (in joke)

Read this after the event, I wish I'd made the effort now

Export would be very nice indeed. lol

:drink::c: :drink:

• 7 months later...

For all of you, who are interested, photos of the Famous F-Troop (and friends) are viewable at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=816480371#!/album.php?aid=227267&id=725768242

Enjoy

Warning: a little naughtiness in some of the photos - you have been warned ;-)

Enjoyed looking through the pics. Reminded me a lot of the Blazey Boys, currently still going strong despite falling attendances at local football matches.

Why do you think Falmouth have lost their hardcore of support when St Blazey have maintained theirs.

And could there ever be a resurrection of the F-Troop or similar groups of fans at other Cornish clubs?

Dan, I would not like the F troup back, because their language was so bad families stoped coming to the home games,

& sometimes they got into fighting,

I can never remember the same type of suporters at any other Cornish club, but I would much rather have happy families at a match than the F troup,

Hammers :c: :clapper:

For all of you, who are interested, photos of the Famous F-Troop (and friends) are viewable at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=816480371#!/album.php?aid=227267&id=725768242

Enjoy

Warning: a little naughtiness in some of the photos - you have been warned ;-)

Figured I better pop by and say hello seeing as the photos Ive started uploading have started doing the rounds (there are a lot more photos to come when i scan them). Spent many a happy afternoon crammed int he back of Ricky Matthews van with Rob Pyatt and Harry Garrington..

One thing I will address is what someone above said about language/Violence. Language yes, some of the supporters language was pretty choice, but thats a pretty common event in everyday life and football, but fighting? In the years I followed Town (late eighties and early nineties) I never saw a F-Troop member involved in any fighting, they might have fought amongst themselves occasionally, and there may have been the odd punch between two drunk members of opposing teams but that wasnt born out of F-Troop. I honestly never saw any fights involving any of them. The odd vocal fight between opposing teams but thats it.

Anyway.. While Im here a few memories of my time following Town. This was twenty years ago so the memory is a little hazy, but for me the top three days out.

Mangotsfield away in the cup. I think this was the first big away day I did. Falmouth had played Penzance (?) the week before with players in strange positions, reserves playing and looked very ordinary. The day of the game Wadd got on the coach and told all the fans travelling that Mangotsfield had had scouts down watching so they had pulled a fast one. Mangotsfield at the time were unbeaten at the top of the Western Premier and massive favourites. Result, 1-0, Phil Shapcott got the goal (if my memory serves), I dont remember much after that except a very pretty young lady in the mill on the exe with a lace up skirt that caught everyones attention.

St Blazey last game of the season '89 (maybe 90) - theyd already put us out of the cup earlier in the year, but we went to blazey top of the league.. They could technically still win it but had to beat us 4-0 or something. Dont even remember the result, but winning the championship at the ground of our biggest rivals was a wonderful wonderful moment. Cant even remember the name of the pub we went back to in blazey after the game. Dont know what time we got home. Who cares.

Newquay v Launceston (?) 1990 - last week of the season and falmouth had no game on the saturday so we all went to newquay to cheer on launceston. Again, the mind might be dodgy, but from what i remember launceston were bottom of the league, Im not sure if they had even won a match, Newquay were second, but if by some miracle they lost to launceston we were champions. Launceston probably had about 3 fans at home games, and none travelling to away games and i will never remember the players faces as they came out of the clubhouse to the cheers of about 30-40 fans behind the goal. Complete shock from them. I dont remember the goal, Im pretty sure it was a header, I just remember the launceston player running towards the falmouth fans celebrating. Ultimate humiliation for Newquay who we enjoyed a fierce (but very freindly) rivalry with. I dont think they knew what hit them with a whole bunch of falmouth fans celebrating in the newquay clubhouse afterwards.

Only falmouth would have taken that many fans to a game that they werent even involved in.

Anyway, glad i dug those photos out as its been nice to be in touch with a few people from those days again. The reason I havnt seen town recently, ive been living in devon for the last 15 years and about to move to durham. But i still check the newspapers for their results regularly. Good to see they are getting back to winning ways.

There will be more photos to come. And for falmouth fans I also have to the "road to wembley" program from 89 on video which is shortly going to be digitised and youtubed.. ;)

Looking back, im not sure it would be the same if people tried to do it again. Back then, there was no internet, very few people had mobile phones, so everything was hit and miss. Hardly anyone had cars, getting to matches often involved multiple bus journeys (i remember it taking us 6 hours to get back from bugle) one day. Nobody was ever sure what pub we would all be in, who would be there, but that was the fun of it. Life nowadays is all so organised with internet and email and mobiles and facebook, takes all the fun out of it. Going to see falmouth play newquay now is simple, arrange it on facebook, meet your mates in the pub, done. Back then it was an adventure involving buses wandering pubs trying to find people, not getting home because youd missed the bus. Far more fun.

Regardless of where I am, if Falmouth ever make the vase final I will be heading there. Im just hoping for an fa cup or vase draw in the north east of england.

Dave "Get that bus out" Marsdin