Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay 1 - 1 Godolphin

For the second season running, this eagerly antisipated fixture drew an excellent crowd (550+)to Mount Wise, where thankfully, after a heavy pre match shower the sun emerged from behind the clouds.

The first half was keenly contested with both teams trying to play football on an understandably heavy pitch. Godolphin shaded it i felt, but without posing too big a threat to the Newquay goal with Jody Dean looking strong in the home defence.

In the second half there was again very little to choose between the two teams, but it was Godolphin who made the all important breakthrough on 70 minutes when Phil Lowry was put through on goal to round the keeper and score after possibly looking marginaly off side.

Newquay's best chance came on 76 minutes and fell to substitute Scott Palmer who was denied by a superb save from point blank range by Shaun Semmens.

Godolphin then than had a glorious chance to wrap the game up 10 minutes from time when Aaron Dilly raced clear with all the time in the world, but was denied by keeper Barnes who saved with his outstetched foot. Then Lowry was put through only to be denied by a very dubious linesmans flag.

With 7 minutes remaining a long ball forward decieved the G defence and pacey substitute Christian Lett gambled in behind to beat G keeper Semmens to the ball before somewhat belatedly and dramatically going down inside the box for the referee to award a penalty. Up stepped Palmer to blast home the equaliser and give Newquay a share of the points.

In the end another excellent day for football in Newquay, a good contest, and although i would imagine Jim was a tad happier than i am, just about a fair result.

Oh and i forgot, a good day for Bazzer's hat ! :smiley20:

Pity my hat had a hole in it Derek,To days game shows the wealth of talent in the Newquay area

and the team we could muster from both sides,perhaps we could play a newquay and district side

against ,say a St Austell area side or Truro side for a game in memory of Brian Biggins.

A fair result on the day I would agree.