Cornwall Football Forum

Millbrook VS Newquay

Guest Dane Bunney

Guest Dane Bunney

as sad as it is , its true newquay provivde us with our biggest gate of the season , so was just wondering

but mike, we are happy to have one less at this fixture than last year !!! didnt see you down vospers on the line saturday ???? Maybe we will bump into you down cally when we go down there ????

To be honest, you have to congratulate Millbrook on keeping going at this level given the pittiful attendances (as per SWPL website). Sadly it seems not much support for the club in the village or locally so well done to those people keeping the Club's head above water.

Also, whilst 'cruising' the attendance averages nice to see St.Austell's above St.Blazey's! :clapper:

Guest Dane Bunney

Tony thanks for your comments, the commitee at the club work very hard to keep the club running. There is a stigma within the village towards the football club which has built up over the past 4-5 years ,

the club have done a number of things to try and get the locals through the gate , but its like banging your head against a brick wall.

an example of this , is a LOCAL ex-millbrook player who's son now plays for the first team will not pay to come into the ground and watchs his son play from the road outside the ground, but is willing to pay to get into away grounds!!!!

I used to go down and watch Maker with rame and more recently Edgecumbe down there, who I must say were a fantastic young side and used to get a good crowd down there - sometimes up to 100 people. Also watched Millbrook now and then but I and probably most other locals (im not from Millbrook) would want to watch a side made up of players from nowhere near the town. I know Edgcumbe were are side made up from Torpoint and Millbrook lads and all I can say is that they would rather watch their own. Maker weren't particualry great but were made up of Millbrook lads.

To keep going despite finincial constraints however is a great accomplishment for the club, and the manager must have good persuasion skills! Maybe if they get a few more local players they might start getting some more spectators.

Where do Edgcumbe play now by the way??

Guest Dane Bunney

anychance , thanks for your input

from speaking to people at the club the decline in attendances has only happend in the last 5 years , before that they used to be well supported by local people. but have allways had plymouth players playing for the side.

Just like to add that this season the squad has at lest 6 millbrook/torpoint lads in it !!!! so why arnt the locals in the area coming to support these lads ??

granted rest of the squad is made up of 1 tavistock lad 1 ivybridge lad and rest are from plymouth

but this seasons squad has more local people playing in it than its had for years !! yet no-one will support there local side , and thats just the first team ! the reserves have 1 or 2 locals and the youth team is made up mainly of local lads ,

millbrook as a club this season proberlly is more locally represented than ever before when you look across the 3 teams

edgcumbe play up near torpoint now !!!