Cornwall Football Forum

Half Way Point

Guest Gary Andrews

Guest Gary Andrews

So we have reached what is seen as the half way point in the season guys , thought I’d start a discussion on the ups and downs of your teams so far, there are a few discussion points which could be rolled out in this one topic such as :

Are your team performing as expected?

Who is the team that has impressed you most so far?

What team has surprised you the most????

Who has been the stand out players?

What managers are maybe doing a decent job when it was never expected of him??

And vice versa

What managers have flopped when he was expected to push your club on??

I think St Blazey have surprised a lot of people by being right in the mix at the top. Bodmin have hit form again recently and are probably now the favourites. Buckland will be right in there as well and I'd be surprised if the title came from anywhere other than these three.

At the other end, I still expect former St Blazey LEGEND Sir Bobby Oaten to fight to the death to keep Clyst up. Wadebridge looked far better than relegation candidates in our two senior cup games against them. Holsworthy are my tip for the drop.

Guest Rydon Ranger

How's your pitch looking for Saturday afternoon Dan, hope everything is ok because we are desperate for a game. Can't stand another football free saturday!!!!

How's your pitch looking for Saturday afternoon Dan, hope everything is ok because we are desperate for a game. Can't stand another football free saturday!!!!

I live in St Austell and have not had chance to go over and have a look. However, the most recent snow only got as far west as Lostwithiel and things must be looking good for the game to be on.

All the best - we want some proper noise from you lot on Saturday. Any idea how many you are bringing?

Guest Rydon Ranger

Fingers crossed then Dan, don't want another saturday off, my Mrs is doing my head in!! Not sure on numbers yet, think a lot of them are waiting to see what the weather is doing before they committ. Lets just hope it's a good game, which i am sure it will be. Hopefully see you on saturday.

Fingers crossed then Dan, don't want another saturday off, my Mrs is doing my head in!! Not sure on numbers yet, think a lot of them are waiting to see what the weather is doing before they committ. Lets just hope it's a good game, which i am sure it will be. Hopefully see you on saturday.

Come say hello. Friendliest (and noisiest) fans in the league.

Guest Gary Andrews

Surprised St. Blazey are not doing better with Glyn in charge, I thought they would be stronger.

you have to be on a wind up here stewart ??? Im sure i saw that Blazey are joint top!!! I think your side are lucky that you have played more games then most teams , having seen you a few times i can only think this is the only reason you hold a healthy position in the league so far !!

Surprised St. Blazey are not doing better with Glyn in charge, I thought they would be stronger.

I sense a mindless "dig" here. No need for it mate.

Nobody (save Blazey fans) gave us a hope of the title at the start of the season, and here we are, two points off the lead and one of the red hot favourites.

:SM_carton:

Nice Gary, I'll keep off your inane posts in the future! :SM_carton:

Oh, and by the way - pay attention - it's Stuart, cheers, brains.

STUART......i think you will find that its spelt Glynn!

Interesting comment about St Blazey too...where exactly did you expect Glynn Hooper's St Blazey to be at the half way point of his first season in charge? Top with 3 games in hand, 8 points clear and a plus 70 goal differance???

Come on STUART, have a rethink.

Glyn undoubtedly is a first class coach and motivator and we are extremely lucky to have him here.

He is surpassing our expectations on a budget which would not compare with a lot of clubs, both in our division and even lower. FACT.

Let's all do the talking at the end of the season!

No mindless dig and no rethink required sorry boys.

My honest opinion, I thought St. Blazey would be stronger. They have not picked up as many points as they could have as they've not been as good as I was expecting them to be so far, simple.

I have the upmost repsect for Glynn both when he was playing and now as a manager and coach, so I thought they would be stronger.

Dan, I thought you would be strong title contenders, St. Blazey have a great tradition of success and Glynn was a great player for you and is a very good coach. Without knowing, and not wanting to, I would imagine the resources he has at his disposal are up amongst the best in the league and he is a draw for top players too.

We played down at yours on Boxing Day and should have won, we played well, you not so well as you would have hoped, no rocket science or digs, just opinion. I dont really care if you don't agree, but no need to assume my motives are unkind, is there?

Wish I'd never graced you with my presence on this thread in the first place, and won't bother in future.

Cheers

As an official of a club (I assume you manage TAFC these days) I would be careful about posting anything about budgets, based on hearsay, rumours or your own fanciful ideas. I also don't know exact figures (nor do I have any desire to know - I am just a supporter, remember), but I DO know that our budget is smaller than approx HALF the teams in SWPL Premier. That's a fact.

Re: Boxing Day, yes you played OK and yes, we were well below par, but that's the way of things on Boxing Day matches.

We are in with a shout of the title at start of 2010, one thing you are not. Criticizing a club which 1) has come so far over the past 12 months, 2) is well above you in the league stinks of only one thing: jealousy.

This has been achieved on an extremely small budget and few in the SWPL/Cornish footballing communities would deny that this is a fantastic achievement.

Personally, I think Blazey are being flattered by their current league position. I have seen them play a few times and in my opinion they aren't all that. However, Glynn is doing a great job with the resources available and well done to the committee for managing the club sensibly without overstretching things.

Its a funny league this year with teams dipping in and out of form and it wouldn't surprise me if Blazey did end up winning it. If they do then it'll be one in the eye for those clubs that pile a load of money into the playing budget.

If Blazey do win the league then I can only say that the quality must be falling as in my view the current Blazey team would be stuffed out of sight by the Blazey team that won the south western league 6 times.

Not so funny when someone has a "mindless dig" at YOUR club is it...

anyway... i thought the title of this topic was "half way point" and for people to post their views on how they think the season is going so far and how they think it will end up... not for everyone to read a slagging match between Torpoint and St.Blazey...

Mr Dudley,

I apologise if I misinterpreted or misconstrued your comments in any way.

I'm not here to make enemies and I admit I maybe reacted too quickly.

Your fans were a credit to your club on Boxing Day and some even came over for a chat. Will look forward to seeing them again at the return fixture.

I wish you and your club all the very best.

chairman's reply-

He is surpassing our expectations on a budget which would not compare with a lot of clubs, both in our division and even lower. FACT.

Let's all do the talking at the end of the season!

have you manipulated the words mr chairman? as this could read that your budget would not compare with the lower budgets around the leagues!!!!!

Guest Gary Andrews

May as well call this forum ''st blazey fc fans forum'' ... thats all i ever see discussed with a bit of newquay -torpoint and falmouth chucked in on the side ...

started this topic to see if i could start some discussion about the other sides that play in the league , there must be talking points that can be discussed about the other teams , rather than an over pasionate fan and a manager showing a complete lack of class by totally ripping into another football club....classy !!

come on guys what about the other clubs ???

Gary, im afraid to say there are veru few fans from different clubs because sadly, there arent many clubs with real fans who really want to see their club do well. You never hear a word from the likes of Bodmin, Liskeard, Wadebridge, Cully, Clyst etc.

At the end of the day, Winning the league only puts a couple grand towards the club in prize money. The fun in football is the week to week football and seeing what the next match brings and having a pint with ya mates and having a laugh.

Roll on moro!! :drink:

May as well call this forum ''st blazey fc fans forum'' ... thats all i ever see discussed with a bit of newquay -torpoint and falmouth chucked in on the side ...

started this topic to see if i could start some discussion about the other sides that play in the league , there must be talking points that can be discussed about the other teams , rather than an over pasionate fan and a manager showing a complete lack of class by totally ripping into another football club....classy !!

come on guys what about the other clubs ???

St Blazey has the best support of any side in Cornwall and that is reflected by the number of posts on this forum.

Premier

Pretty much as i expected it to be,and Falmouth Town,the team i support, are about where i expected.It'll be interesting to see if the pack can hang on this time as Bodmin have pulled away towards the end previously.

East

Liverton are the surprise,as i recall(correctly i hope) they struggled last season.

West

Hayle deffo the surprise package,and Truro near the bottom surely wasn't to be expected.

Total attendance figs are not exactly accurate anyway!!

Some add up everyone in the ground.

Some add up everyone who pays and dont include commitee members etc.

Some just make up a figure!!

What you need to look at is the away support that clubs bring.

So the clubs with a good away following are.....

St Blazey, Newquay, Buckland, Withy, Falmouth, Porthlevan, I may have missed some.

Looking forward to seeing the travelling Bucks tomorrow. Fingers crossed on some decent weather. Peeing down right now!! :blink:

Surprise, surprise, Blazey fans turn the topic into talking about St Blazey again.

In my opinion based on what i have seen so far this season, and the return of O'Hagan, Bodmin will win it again, but may well be pushed close by teams such as Buckland, Blazey and possibly Parkway. Feel Tavistock could be there or there abouts with squad they have but too inconsistent. Shame Saltash do so well in fa cup and vase competitions, as immediatly playing catch up in the league and feel this hinders there assult on an elusive league title, i did have them as the favourites at the start.

As for the other end feel Clyst, Holsworthy, bovey tracey and possibly wadebridge going to be in and around the drop zone.

But first things first, lets hope some games are played today!!!

Well if you want a change, why not mention who youd like to see win it (not including who you may support!!)

For me, for all the hard work gone in to make this club a top quality SWPL side, good ground, good support, and generally a good club all round........it has to be...............

BUCKLAND.

But id like to see us beat your lot today first. :c: