Cornwall Football Forum

Buckland v Penzance

Buckland 3 Penzance 1.

Despite the fact that due to suspensions, holidays and the Cornwall youth game Penzance had eight first teamers out they aquitted themselves very well up at Buckland on Saturday. The small band of travelling supporters were very impressed with the set up there from the clubhouse to the stand to our four year old twin's favourite bit the little playground inside the ground: what a great idea!

After an intial battering Penzance came more and more into the game and were kind of unlucky to go in one down at half time after a set piece caught the defence (with Darren Ball making a welcome and generally excellent appearance in the first team for the first time in a few years) napping just minutes before the whistle. In the seciond half the game could have gone either way and there was a definite feeling of next goal being crucial. As it was , after a susstained period of Penzance pressure Buckland equlised when a fortunate bounce left keeper Butcher stranded and a well taken finish made it 2:0. Within sconds another lucky bounce canoned off Sam Coopers foot for 2:1 and a barnstorming assault on the Buckland goal only spoilt by lax defending at a corner in the dying seconds for Buckland's third.

A lot of credit to the team for the way they battled.

The Buckland programme was very impresseive: clearly a real labour of love.

What a shame that the day was slightly tarnished by the aggresive and foul mouthed supporters stood at the top of the main stand.

To be honest a full strength Penzance team could and should have won. To me the title still looks wide open.

Buckland 3 Penzance 1.

Despite the fact that due to suspensions, holidays and the Cornwall youth game Penzance had eight first teamers out they aquitted themselves very well up at Buckland on Saturday. The small band of travelling supporters were very impressed with the set up there from the clubhouse to the stand to our four year old twin's favourite bit the little playground inside the ground: what a great idea!

After an intial battering Penzance came more and more into the game and were kind of unlucky to go in one down at half time after a set piece caught the defence (with Darren Ball making a welcome and generally excellent appearance in the first team for the first time in a few years) napping just minutes before the whistle. In the seciond half the game could have gone either way and there was a definite feeling of next goal being crucial. As it was , after a susstained period of Penzance pressure Buckland equlised when a fortunate bounce left keeper Butcher stranded and a well taken finish made it 2:0. Within sconds another lucky bounce canoned off Sam Coopers foot for 2:1 and a barnstorming assault on the Buckland goal only spoilt by lax defending at a corner in the dying seconds for Buckland's third.

A lot of credit to the team for the way they battled.

The Buckland programme was very impresseive: clearly a real labour of love.

What a shame that the day was slightly tarnished by the aggresive and foul mouthed supporters stood at the top of the main stand.

To be honest a full strength Penzance team could and should have won. To me the title still looks wide open.

I think that's quite a decent synopsis of the day. thanks for all the kind words about bafc. i also think penzance played well and second half was a tight affair but thankfully we stayed focused and got the 2nd goal. i think we played within ourselves and the 3 games in 8 days took its toll. had all been available to penzance we might have come unstuck but you never know we might have raised our game a little bit more.

i think it is fantastic that at the half way stage , the champions can come from anyone of about 8 teams. i am not sure that the cornish sides have taken to a devon side leading the way as i get the impression this type of thing was not gonna happen for a few years just yet.

as for the supporter in the stand. if you pay your money , you can , within reason, have your say, as we have found out enough times, on our travels, in both devon and cornwall

baylo