Cornwall Football Forum

BEST GAME OF WEEKEND BLAZEY v Pz

Well its the return of the old pretender to Blazey v the new kid on the block , what a day !!!!! Lets hope the Blazey supporters are back from there Christmas holidays and back to full vioce , with the added spice of big Trev not happy with the way players seem to want to leave him and end up at Blazey its looking good for a great spectical and hottly contested game , lets pray for some dry weather !!!!

Of course the St Blazey v Penzance has an added spice to it now with the transfer of striker Sam Cooper from the Magpies to the Green & Blacks.

Trevor Mewton is obviously not too happy with the overall outcome, or at least the way it came about. Here's what he had to say on the subject from his notes from last Saturday's Match programme:-

"Before welcoming today's visitors Cullompton Rangers for what will be our first home game for five weeks I have to address the situation regarding Sam Cooper leaving the club.

At training on Tuesday evening, he confirmed to both me and most of the players that he was staying and that's why I was delighted to release his decision to the press (The Cornishman) on Wednesday morning.

On Thursday evening I then got a call from John Mead to say the League secretary had informed him he had received an e-mail from St Blazey requesting the transfer.

It's probably the most embarrassing situation I have experienced as a manager. He says (his quote): "It's for his future development and improvement with a club who will make him the best centre forward in Cornwall" - I just hope he will find as much success there as we achieved in my 10 years at St Blazey!

Writing these notes, I'm not sure what my future 'in the game' is. I have always trusted people to their word and never taken anyone for granted. This leaves a very bitter taste, especially as I know there has been dishonesty from the start, and Sam was influenced by outside sources."

Trevor Metwton just hates getting a bit of his own medicine, I no full well that some of our players at Afc St Austell have recieved calls form Trevor this season but no official approach to the club.

I believe St Blazey have acted professionally and in my opinion it was the boy Coopers decision in the end.

Answer me this though if players and clubs in Cornwall believe we are professional, why cant players at the beggining of the season be put on a contract meaning that if a player is prized away a fee should be in place.

Many players are only after one thing at that is money signing a contract at the beginning of the season would iradicate the high scale player movement in the season. Whats your thoughts

Money Man

Trevors programme notes are very bitter.

Would be interesting to hear John Meads comments on this as it was he he vigourously denied any wrong doing when Trevor was accused of tapping up some youth players at St Just.

Trevor has been a great servant to those he has managed but clearly it wasnt just his doing that St Blazey enjoyed success.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is a public slur on all of the people who DONT GET PAID behind the scenes at St Blazey who put processes in place for funds etc in order to give him the players he wanted.

Such a modest man!

As for Money Mans comments regarding contracts, I agree that something should be done to try and protect some clubs, particularily those who nurture youngsters to then lose them to clubs with no youth set up as soon as they come of age!

Transfer fees would be a small reminder that this is after all, an amatuer level and it may give some managers a reality check when they sign some players. If they still want to pay the fee and take the player then ideal, both clubs gain!