Cornwall Football Forum

Applications to Join SWP

from the SWP Website

LEAGUE NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS

Applications to join the League :

We can confirm that the following clubs have applied to join the league for season 2010/11 :

Brixham United (South Devon League)

Helston Athletic (Cornwall Combination League)

St Day (Cornwall Combination League)

St Martins (Devon & Exeter League)

Sticker (East Cornwall Premier League)

Topsham Town (Devon & Exeter League)

These clubs now go forward to the ground grading stage in April and promotion is also subject to final league positions being known in May.

A list of clubs applying for Promotion to the Premier Division will be released in early March.

Regarding Helston-Do you have to finish in the top two to get considered?

Disapointing there is no application from Illogan RBL, it would be unkind if they pip Helston for second spot.

No applicants from the North Devon League or the Plymouth & West Devon League.

I was thinking of Torrington FC and Wessex Rangers respectively.

Info sent to me 2 weeks ago but not confirmed yet.

Clubs applying to join the Combo league so far (not complete list yet) ; Pendeen Rovers, Mousehole, Goonhavern and one of the Falmouth teams based at Dracena Avenue.

Are Mousehole thinking of leaving the SWPL Div 1 West and settling back into the Combo?

Anyone heard anything?

If they did leave, then all three teams applying, Sticker, Helston and St Day if ground/facilities were ok could join Div 1 West making 18 teams.

Clubs applying to join the Combo league so far (not complete list yet) ; Pendeen Rovers, Mousehole, Goonhavern and one of the Falmouth teams based at Dracena Avenue.

Are Mousehole thinking of leaving the SWPL Div 1 West and settling back into the Combo?

Anyone heard anything?

If they did leave, then all three teams applying, Sticker, Helston and St Day if ground/facilities were ok could join Div 1 West making 18 teams.

In a word.........NO!

Anyone heard anything?

Mousehole have applied for their FHFL team to join JCCL. No Falmouth based team has applied.

To join SWPL (W), do you have to finish top of JCCL?

Guest Postie Pidge

I would hope that the clubs applying are financially sound - since the inauguration, the west has lost two teams where as their East counterparts have lost one.

Hope it's not a case of too much too soon

St.Day shouldn't be given promotion even if they finish above Helston.St.day is a cricket/soccer club,Helston is a real soccer club with a true ground.But with the swpl record of promoting clubs like godolphin(play on a farm) vospers(play on a council car park) they will probably give st.day 25 years to sort out their pitch,like the ccfa told perranwell 25 years ago too :thumbsup:

So long as you pass the groung grading you are obviously good enough. Helston is a good club with good facilities. But to be fair St days are on a par and the changing facilities are 2nd to none. The cricket has nothing to do woth the football facilities. With the great hardworking committee at the club if they do gain promotion they will be sound.

I cannot see why Illogan havent applied they are more than set up for it and are a very good club as well.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN YOUR VENTURES :clapper:

If the league need more teams why can't they let more than one team in from the same league. Seems a silly rule........

Illogan haven't applied again because they like being a shark in a goldfish pond.The goldfish pond is poor and starving!if two clubs from the this bowl joined the swpl,then this bowl would need refeeding on a massive scale even more than now.On sharing grounds with cricket clubs this is totally wrong,ground sharing with other soccer clubs is ok but you don't see inter cricket club or ac cc playing at the san siro!

Illogan haven't applied again because they like being a shark in a goldfish pond.The goldfish pond is poor and starving!if two clubs from the this bowl joined the swpl,then this bowl would need refeeding on a massive scale even more than now.On sharing grounds with cricket clubs this is totally wrong,ground sharing with other soccer clubs is ok but you don't see inter cricket club or ac cc playing at the san siro!

Bananaman unless you start banging the ball in the net, it looks like you will be restocking the goldfish bowl!

Guest thebigfella

Regarding Helston-Do you have to finish in the top two to get considered?

Disapointing there is no application from Illogan RBL, it would be unkind if they pip Helston for second spot.

No applicants from the North Devon League or the Plymouth & West Devon League.

I was thinking of Torrington FC and Wessex Rangers respectively.

Wessex Rangers in the SWPL? Don't be daft!!

1. Their ground and facilities are awful, even for the P&WDCL

2. The P&WDCL have lost their Senior status and is no longer a feeder to the SWPL!!

Any team from Plymouth wanting to progress would now probably look to join the ECPL as this is the only route open to them to move up the pyramid.

thedigfella you havnt playd for me and it didnt work out by any chance? you seem to have a problem with wessex, i think for local football we have a good facility, have you seen some local football set ups ?.

But i will tell you wessex wouldnt apply cause of the facilitys needed.

So long as you pass the groung grading you are obviously good enough. Helston is a good club with good facilities. But to be fair St days are on a par and the changing facilities are 2nd to none. The cricket has nothing to do woth the football facilities. With the great hardworking committee at the club if they do gain promotion they will be sound.

I cannot see why Illogan havent applied they are more than set up for it and are a very good club as well.

If the league need more teams why can't they let more than one team in from the same league. Seems a silly rule........

It does seem bizarre that 2 teams connot be promoted from the same league (especially with Wendron folding), so if a league has more than one ambitous team, then at least one will not gain promotion.

It does seem bizarre that 2 teams connot be promoted from the same league (especially with Wendron folding), so if a league has more than one ambitous team, then at least one will not gain promotion.

I think they decided not to allow it so that a league isn't totally deprived of all its "better" teams.

It just wouldn't be fair on the JCCL (in this case) for all the better teams to go up at the same time, and anyway what's wrong with the "smaller" clubs having to do better than what they are now and actually pose a threat to the "bigger" teams. Otherwise you're just handing it to them on a plate.

One can't afford to feel sorry for the "smaller" teams!

HOW CAN ILLOGAN BE A SHARK IN A GOLDFISH BOWL WHEN THERE ARE MANY TEAMS THAT PAY AND ILLOGAN ARENT ONE OF THEM.

2. The P&WDCL have lost their Senior status and is no longer a feeder to the SWPL!!

Any team from Plymouth wanting to progress would now probably look to join the ECPL as this is the only route open to them to move up the pyramid

- says the big fella.

Not entering the argument as most of you havn't a clue on the rules - just to say wrong about Plymouth. If a team fits all the criterea in the Plymouth and West Devon league it can join the SWPL.

absolutely ravo you look at plmystock and vospers, both plymouth teams based in the swpl after moving up the ladders and plymstock also having a team in the ecpl. in a way i agree that teams from p and d should try and gain promotion from ecpl as then you have the necessary budgets to cope with swpl but also if you are looking to expand your clubs then you could field a second team in the ecpl (like torpoint and millbrook), but if not the ecpl then at least the swpl div 1 east is the place as plymstock and vospers were once members. good luck in your application.

Cornish soccer must be going mad if small village clubs like st.day have a budget,they must average more countryside wildlife than fans for home matches and the last time i checked the cornish fa didn't charge animals admission fees.Clubs like st.day can't afford to pay players long term,just look at portsmouth truro city west ham!

to be fair Winno, I can think of a few teams that have changing facilities on a par, if not better than St Day. Wendron, Porthleven, Portreath, Ludgvan. If a few teams sorted out their showers, then they would be up there as well.

At St Agnes, we may not have the best team or best pitch, but we got the best showers!!!

Who mentioned showers Daz, I said the facilities at St Day are on a par with the likes of Helston. Aggies showers are good but are mixed teams and as we know that wouldnt warrant promotion.

As for a budget at St Day don't make me laugh. All thats at the club are hard working individuals whom give their time including myself. Last week barrowing 50 loads of sand to try and get a game on. Lots of teams don't pay their players but there are incentives i.e free jugs of beer after a game petrol money sometimes for away games.......

I also think youll find we average more than most for homes games this season. Perhaps Cornishteddyboy may confirm that.

HOW CAN ILLOGAN BE A SHARK IN A GOLDFISH BOWL WHEN THERE ARE MANY TEAMS THAT PAY AND ILLOGAN ARENT ONE OF THEM.

What are you on about gerrard8? :blink: Nowhere does bananaman mention anyone getting paid - all he's saying is that Illogan have been one of the better Combo teams over the last couple of seasons consistently bagging points all the way.

What are you on about gerrard8? :blink: Nowhere does bananaman mention anyone getting paid - all he's saying is that Illogan have been one of the better Combo teams over the last couple of seasons consistently bagging points all the way.

mr smudge .woudnt you say that the teams that pay are the sharks in the goldfish bowl.illogan are a good team for the right reasons no money involved.they might get a jug of beer ,but most teams in mining 3 get that.

I know you never mentioned showers Winno, I just mentioned them from Aggie's point of view, and yeah, because they're communal (as such) means that we couldn't go up.

With regards to the facilities at St Day, surely you share all of those with the cricket?? bar, pitch, changing rooms, showers??

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the SWP could end up ruining some 'smaller' clubs, sending them back to Junior football if they don't maintain a budget of sorts (whether that be, incentives, paying players, travel expenses).

I do agree with you there Daz.

Some clubs it will ruinsome it wont.

On the other note the facilities during our season are not shared with anyone at all but football.

LONG LIVE MARTYN KIMMINS !!!!!!!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Guest Bundiwilliams

guys calm down on here!!!!!

heres how i see it and usually wrong but here goes

yes illogan dont pay players and thats bloody good, but they have been a cracking team over the last two years and never wanted to go further this is because of two things i feel---- fear of not doing well in a higher league and the fact of the travelling involved the higher up the system you go, to go up you have to start paying your players travelling etc otherwise who is willing to do a 60-100 mile round trip to play on a saturday???

Now the subject of St.day i hate them lol

but putting that aside, all the games we (portreath) have been hammered in this year i have enjoyed st.days ground the most, we went there and got hammered 14-1 i think i loose count after 10 lol but the ground there was lovely, the atmosphere before the game was cracking, the fans gave us banter all through the game. yes so the field next to it is a cricket pitch and yes they share the bar with crickets players for the first bit of season and last bit but bloody hell the ambition there is second to none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

talk about knocking a club thats trying to progress, nice to see a club with balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest thebigfella

thedigfella you havnt playd for me and it didnt work out by any chance? you seem to have a problem with wessex, i think for local football we have a good facility, have you seen some local football set ups ?.

But i will tell you wessex wouldnt apply cause of the facilitys needed.

Ravo, I'm sorry if you took offence at my comments. I was merely trying to make a point that Wessex could not apply to join the SWPL because of the facilities. Perhaps I made that point a little too fiercely.

It appears I am wrong regarding the status of the P&WDCL and feeding into the SWPL. I stand corrected. I assumed (wrongly) that because the league had lost their senior status that they would automatically not be a feeder into the SWPL. It seems P&WDCL clubs can apply, but would then 'jump' a step if succesful!

I have never played for you my friend and, to be honest, you probably wouldn't have wanted me anyway! But I have no problem with Wessex Rangers at all. I have come across them many times over the years in the P&D and P&WDCL and have even treaded on the hallowed Yelverton turf myself on numerous occasions. It's a well run club, but I have to say, even for the P&WDCL the facilities really are not great... but, like you rightly said, bar Tamarside and the SWPL reserve sides, they're not much worse than any other club in that league!!

Good luck for the rest of the season Ravo.

Good point st.darren.if st.day got promoted,what would happen if the joint landlords (st.day cc) decided to have a cricket match on the same day as soccer.I wouldn't fancy sharing a shower with a 20 stone cricket player or getting hit on the head from a cricket ball when playing or watching soccer.

Guest Chris B

St day are fixtured away for the first 3 weeks of the season to prevent Cricket/Football clashing. I dont think St Day CC dictate when they have fixtures mate. I'm guessing thats the job of the league fixture sec?!!!? Also the cricket pitch would cover the 2 football pitches Bananaman. Have you actually been to St Day?

I heard Illogan Did apply but it was too late??

Its looking a bit 'iffy' for Helston to finish in the top two for SWPL qualification.

Two Reserve sides at the top and Illogan with the best record seeming the likely champions plus Perranwell in the hunt.

If Illogan did apply too late would it not be in order for all JCCL clubs to receive a circular regarding the deadline date.

Although I wouldn't expect the Combination League to promote the idea for one of its clubs to leave.

There was a reminder on this Forum about the closing date.

If Illogan did apply too late would it not be in order for all JCCL clubs to receive a circular regarding the deadline date. Although I wouldn't expect the Combination League to promote the idea for one of its clubs to leave.

Surely as a recognised Feeder League they should communicate to their clubs as to when deadline dates are. Anyway, the club themselves should also make sure they know - that is if they really do want to be a forward looking club!

Surely as a recognised Feeder League they should communicate to their clubs as to when deadline dates are. Anyway, the club themselves should also make sure they know - that is if they really do want to be a forward looking club!
- says Dave Deacon

Its all in the rules for every Club Secretary to see or find out, its not rocket science if you are interested

thats very nice of the league to let st.day have 3 weeks grace from home fixtures at the start of the season,3 home games at the end of the season is handy if your pushing for promotion!!!this is unfair for all the real soccer clubs in the league.As for this story about illogan's application being to late,well this is such a typical example of the cornish being cornish.Thanks to chris for the news about the cricket pitch covering both football pitches at st.day,this is really dangerous now,as both soccer games could be abandoned due to injuires to players from cricket balls.