Cornwall Football Forum

Hopper Defends Raid On Cooper

NEW signing Sam Cooper makes his home debut for St Blazey against his former club Penzance on Saturday with controversy raging over the transfer.

Blazey boss Glynn Hooper insists the signing of striker Cooper was 'above board' after Penzance boss Trevor Mewton angrily hit out at his decision to join the Green & Blacks.

Mewton is unhappy that the move went ahead, having turned down an approach for the 18-year-old, and Cooper himself having reassured the Magpies that he was staying at Penlee Park.

In Penzance's programme for last Saturday's game with Cullompton, Mewton wrote: "It's probably the most embarrassing situation I have experienced as a manager. He says (his quote): 'It's for his future development and improvement with a club who will make him the best centre forward in Cornwall' – I just hope he will find as much success there as we achieved in my 10 years at St Blazey!"

Mewton added: "I'm not sure what my future 'in the game' is. I have always trusted people to their word and never taken anyone for granted.

"This leaves a very bitter taste, and Sam was influenced by outside sources."

Story contiinues at www.thisiscornwall.co.uk

At the end of the day, players will go where they want to go. Look at Nanks for example. He wanted to go, Glynn tried to keep him but other things were a deciding factor. Wether it be others taping up, offering more money, it dosnt matter surly, as the players arnt contracted to play for any club.

Clubs could contract players to secure the player but that comes with the risk of the player becoming injured, not intrested etc and still having to pay their wages.

sorry to say it but he was awful on the weekend ! and on the commment that he is going to be the best striker in cornwall i have never heard anything so ridiculous in my life. to be the best striker he would have to be able to play football and not just win headers !