Cornwall Football Forum

Millbrook FC Announcement

Guest Dane Bunney

Guest Dane Bunney

It saddens me to announce that Millbrook FC will be withdrawing from the south west peninsula league at the end of the season.

Due to this decision by the club, I have resigned and will sever all ties at the end of the season. I have become very fond of Millbrook Football Club and have dedicated a large part of my life managing the team I wish the club and those that work very hard for the cause every success for the future.

However,

It is my personal opinion that this will be massive step backwards and the club are aware of my opinion. I am a young ambitious manager and do not see any benefit to me personally in remaining at a club that is taking such a large step backwards.

I would like to publicly thank the committee Members for giving me my first opportunity in management 2 years ago and thank anyone associated with the club that I have come into contact with since my appointment.

There will be more in the press this weekend

I feel very strongly that this is the wrong decision.

During St Blazey's glory years, we always feared a trip to Millbrook as they were the only team who could beat us.

A big backward step for Millbrook and a massive blow for the SWPL's West section which may have to draw more teams from England to make up the numbers.

At this moment there are two Devon clubs in the Premier League relegation positions and looking at new applicants I can only see either Topsham/Sidmouth to be the only new member.(one club per league allowed)

I have doubts over Brixham United and Helston Athletic making a a top two qualifacation position with other applicants off the pace.

So it could look like 2 Devon clubs down from Premier and one Cornish and one Devon club up.

One new applicant from Devon to the SWPL.

This would see THREE Devon clubs moving West to redress the balance of 17 clubs in East & West divisions.

So much could change before the end of the season and this is only my early speculation.

Lets hope Millbrook may review their decision.

How it would have been easier if Bude and Illogan had applied, (or never missed the deadline)?

Guest The Villa Man

Terrible decision by Millbrook to pull out of the league , surly cant be a money issue as they don’t pay expenses and never have the lights on for evening games .

Feel sorry for the manager , who is doing a great job and must be really fed up that all the hard work which has been put has been for nothing .

Fair play to you Mr.Bunney for staying till the end of the season , shown great loyalty and I’m sure it will only be a matter of time before you’re snapped up by another SWPL club .

Why are they pulling out of the SWPL when they have an East Cornwall team that only formed this season?

Surely if you can only manage one senior side you should play at the highest level.

It was obviously a big mistake starting a second team again?

I take my hat off to Dane for sticking it out until the axe falls, I am sure many others would have walked out now.

Millbrook, were always a very difficult team to play,

they will be greatly missed,

Dan Blazey that is a very bold statement to make that Millbrook were the only team who could beat St Blazey, you have been beaten by many other teams in the league, this year for a start,

I know for a fact that in the past Falmouth Town have beaten you, Bodmin, Truro City,

so come on Dan own up, no team is unbeatable. Sorry Dan A red card for you for making that comment :SM_carton:

Hammers :c::clapper: :c:

does this mean swiggsy will be in charge of the first team for the remainder.

if the 1st team are leaving whats that mean for your seconds as they r in the ecpl div 1. can you have 2 teams in same league format?

good luck to millbrook. mike u sure its not the bunney hop not ground hop lol, gd luck dane as well well done on what youve done there.

mike

It was only a matter of time to be honest the way the club has been going down there last few seasons, on and off the pitch. A great shame tho as I spent a lot of time as a kid watching some good sides down there. Big decision to make tho, what is happening to their ecpl side?

Millbrook, were always a very difficult team to play,

they will be greatly missed,

Dan Blazey that is a very bold statement to make that Millbrook were the only team who could beat St Blazey, you have been beaten by many other teams in the league, this year for a start,

I know for a fact that in the past Falmouth Town have beaten you, Bodmin, Truro City,

so come on Dan own up, no team is unbeatable. Sorry Dan A red card for you for making that comment :SM_carton:

Hammers :c::clapper::c:

Well yeah, we were pretty much unbeatable for a time; that's why we won the old SWL five seasons in a row. During that time, we broke the record for the longest unbeaten run (over forty games) in British football.

Even when we were convicingly beating the likes of Truro, Bodmin and Falmouth, we knew we were gonna come up against it with Millbrook. It is well known that they were our "bogey team".

In any case Hammers, this thread is about Millbrook FC, not another chance for you to demonstrate your obsession with St Blazey Football Club.

Dan Blazey, you made an incorrect statement that Millbrook were the only team, to be able to beat St Blazey in their hay day, I was just pointing out that you were wrong, when St Blazey & Falmouth were the top two teams in Cornwall that every other team wanted to beat, do you not remember the Mighty game at Falmouth when Town beat you 4-3,

as for your record ,Falmouth still hold the best record, we won the Western Leaque 4 times on the trot, Did you ?

We are still the only Cornish club to have reached the first round of the FA cup, need I go on,

St Blazey have over lots of years been one of the top clubs in Cornwall & still are, but if we are going to talk facts let's get it right,

at the begining of the season When St Blazey started off very well you were boasting that they would win the League, do you still say that,? I think that at the Time I pointed out to you that it was far two early to make statements like that,

I rest my case,

Hammers :c::clapper: :c:

surly cant be a money issue as they don’t pay expenses and never have the lights on for evening games .

In an attempt to get back to the main subject of this thread, a question for Dane in the absence of anyone else from Millbrook AFC replying:-

If the quote above is correct, why did the club not do away with their ECPL side? With four SWPL clubs within 30 miles of Millbrook, surely it wasn't just down to travelling costs?

Guest Dane Bunney

Dave i would love to answer the above question giving my own opinion which is formed from my own observations and conversations with club officials ,

but im still the manager of the club, and the official reason given by the club is its cheeper to run a ecl team.

I need to respect that decision while im the manager. Myself and the players will close ranks and play for each other in the remaining games, i have known about this for a few weeks and its been very hard on a personal level to motivate myself , let alone 15 lads. The players and i had our own meeting on wednesday night and there was a real sence of togetherness. All im really worried about now is looking after myself and the players that have given so much. We may not be the best team in the league , but i think we are one of the most hard working !!! and they deserve better than this !!!!

off to porthlevan now !!

Did you not pick up the sarcasm in my post Chairman?

Hammers has made himself look stupid by stating "facts" about St Blazey he does not know. I made a simple statement that Millbrook were our bogey team when we were at our best.

Shame that Hammers feels he has to resort to the old "yes, but we nearly won the FA Cup and we won the Western League 74 times in one season", etc. to try to win the "debate". *YAWN*

Taking it back to my original point, Millbrook had a really strong side less than a decade ago.

Right, let's have a reality check here. This was not a decision taken lightly by the club and is not against anyone personally. How do you think the people who have worked so hard all these years (and some of them are still on the committee who actually worked so very hard to get the club in the SWL) feel. It is simply not viable anymore. The average gate at a match is 8 yes 8!! the referees expenses have to be paid as well as everything else out of this. Some members of the committee actually have a grass cutting contract in Millbrook and they cut the communal grounds all year round and the money goes straight into the club to enable the club to top up the expenses-they personally get no gain from this and the youngest of these is 60!!

Bad gates of course have a knock on affect in the Socail Club and so it goes on! Nobody in Millbrook is interested anymore-just try and get younger people to join the committee-it is a case of 'what will I be paid'-that's a laugh as I am sure anyone who is on a committee will tell you-it actually costs you for the privilege of trying to keep the clubs going.

So there you have it-the truth. It's sad I know and I feel most for the people behind the scenes-that's where the real work is done and that is who deserves the praise and sympathy because at the moment they are all feeling very demoralised and dejected at having to make this decision.

This is a personal message and it is not intended to be a statement on behalf of the club-that should be done by the Chairman

Sharan Bettridge-Secretary Millbrook AFC Social Club

CARLSBERG SOUTH WEST PENINSULA DIVISION ONE WEST ATTENDANCES

Summary Stats : Updated Wednesday 17th February

Total Division Attendance : 10,009

Average per Game : 69.02

Club High Low Total Games Average

Newquay 565 79 1,691 12 140.91

St Austell 263 85 1,286 11 116.90

Perranporth 177 57 707 7 101.00

Porthleven 113 34 827 10 82.70

Penryn Athletic 120 47 617 9 68.55

Truro City 145 14 733 11 66.63

Callington Town 74 48 523 9 58.11

Godolphin Atlantic 84 38 448 8 56.00

Plymstock United 82 38 555 10 55.50

Hayle 91 26 495 9 55.00

Camelford 84 41 327 6 54.50

Mousehole 74 36 486 9 54.00

Foxhole Stars 72 34 378 8 47.25

Dobwalls 56 39 408 9 45.33

Vospers Oak Villa 62 22 311 8 38.87

Millbrook 29 18 217 9 24.11

I got my resources from the Secretary-I forgot to say that this is actual Millbrook supporters. We have had one parent whose son plays for the team who will not pay to come into the ground and instead watches the match from the top of the road!!

Back to the point and from a players perspective on this issue. It is dissapointing to hear that the SW team is not in place next season leaving the players with the choice of dropping down 2 leagues to the ECdiv1 league or face being without a club at the end of the season. The results have been inconsistant going on a 4/5 unbeaten run taking points off Godolphin, St Austell, Camelford etc, but then loosing 4 or 5 on the bounce after. But surely that can be partially put down to the age of the team somewhat, with the majority of the squad aged 19 and below inconsistancy is prevalant, and with experience those players will become more consistant in their performances perhaps.

To be fair the majority of the team do deserve to be performing in the SW league next season (let it be open to opinion on which players that is), but like Dane the players have chosen to stick together and continue playing as a team. So us as players now have 11 games to pull together continue traveling away to games such as Mousehole, Perranporth etc knowing that they have no SW club next season. Not only were Millbrook Bottom last season, but also a side note of Millbrook's best position in the last 5 seasons is 12th and thats when a budget was in place for the players, and at present Millbrook are 13th and with plenty of points available to finish above 12th, with no budget and with an extremely young squad. surely a testament to the players and management at the club?

Guest mr observer

but also a side note of Millbrook's best position in the last 5 seasons is 12th and thats when a budget was in place for the players, and at present Millbrook are 13th and with plenty of points available to finish above 12th, with no budget and with an extremely young squad. surely a testament to the players and management at the club?

I agree it would be a good achievement, but now with this news i would say it will be a tall order. How will players motivate themselfs now, Dane Bunney has already mentioned on this thread that he has struggled to motivate himself in past weeks.

However it is a testament that bunney kept his squad together for a long trip to porthlevan yesterday. After the news this week it would have been easy for some players to cry off this long trip.

If they do finish 12th or above i hope bunney gets the credit he will deserve and be handed a another job in the swpl. To do this in normal circumstances without a budget is good, but in these circumstances will be impressive.

Guest mr observer

I heard the same

But after speaking to a senior member of the squad it was only going to be the case if bunney decided to walk before the end of the season ,

Maybe Mr unorthodox can shed some light

i don't think it was the intention of players to move to an ECPL side, registered or not. like i stated earlier, come end of the season, its a choice of a SW club approaching a player or the players stay on at Millbrook in an EC capacity. I also said that SOME players deserve a better standard to that of the EC league, so why would they step down a league or two 3 months before they get possibly forced to? the players have to use the remaining 12 games as a shop window and hope their performances reward them with a move to a SW club.

hope this answers your questions :D

• 2 weeks later...

I AM DISSAPOINTED TO HEAR ABOUT MILLBROOK AS THE CLUB HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FREINDLY TO VISIT , HOWEVER I CAN FULLY UNDERSTAND THEIR DECISION CONSIDERING THEY HAVE TO TRAVEL TO THE LIKES OF HAYLE OR MOUSEHOLE A ROUND TRIP OF NEARLY 200 MILES, I WOULD BE SURPRISED IF ANY OTHER LEAGUES AT THIS LEVEL EXPECT THEIR TEAMS TO TRAVEL AS FAR.MAYBE THE WHOLE LEAGUE NEEDS REORGANISING BEFORE MORE SIDES PULL OUT.

IT'S A SHAME TO SEE A DECENT CLUB LIKE MILLBROOK STRUGGLING FINANCIALLY AND HAVING TO CONSIDER DEMOTING THEMSELVES NEXT SEASON.

I'VE ALWAYS BEEN MADE WELCOME THERE, REGARDLESS OF MY ALLEGED POOR PERFORMANCES, AND THE CLUBHOUSE IS AS GOOD AS ANYBODY ELSE'S. THE CHANGING ROOMS UNDER THE COVERED SEATING AREA ARE UP TO STANDARD AND THE PITCH IS EXTREMELY WELL KEPT.

AMPLE CAR PARKING AND SATELLITE TV IN THE CLUBHOUSE AFTERWARDS, GREAT PASTIES TOO !

IT'S A BIT LIKE THE POST OFFICE; USE IT OR LOSE IT !

tis a shame seeing millbrook leave swp football many years ago the club was thriving

busy in the clubhouse (sundays was heaving and skittles nights were amazing)

and reasonable success on the field. over the years the club has been used less and less

which results in less money for players, (after all lets be honest money talks) which results in less fans

due to less success on pitch.

having helped to prepare the new ground destoning the old tip etc as a cub when they moved from cow field

at insworke i have seen this club die a slow death something is obviously wrong within millbrook fc it is now a huge

village but less support, i sincerely hope this is just a blip and in a few years will see millbrook back where they used to be,