Cornwall Football Forum

Godolphin v Newquay

Godolphin 5 Newquay3, A deserved win for Godolphin who played a route one game ,whilst Newquay tried to play football on a pitch that turned into a mud bath, when will Newquay learn you can,t play pretty football in the type of conditions prevailing.

The referee was poor this afternoon ,giving every decision the home team shouted for,he missed a certain hand ball and the booking were laughable for both sides.

Anyway roll on tuesday when St Austell visit Mt Wise. 7.30 KO

Very entertaining game despite the weather and the pitch. Spent most the game in the pouring rain whilst it was blue sky over the sea. Couple of hundred there I would have thought.

Not sure about route 1 for the G, they played some lovely football, particularly on the left side, the build up for their 3rd I think, was top drawer. Newquay seemed to have their chances particulalry 1st half but didnt get the run of the ball or lacked a bit of composure in front of goal.

Thought the ref did quite well considering the conditions, loads of slides going in. Yep he missed a blatent handball, but he was blindsided and the assistant was down the other end. Booking for Newquay was for a persistant shirt pulling I think.

All in all an excellant game, a credit to both sides. Don't know whether its been debated before, but how good would a Newquay/G team be? Thinking about it Newquay Godolphin FC does have a certain ring to it.

A great game for the groundhoppers and G supporters. G took their chances ever so well and threw themselves in front of a lot of efforts. Overall, no complaints about the result really. Newquay goalscorers, well there was some debate about the first. I thought it was Jake Hartigan but another fan said it was Luke Weldhen then yet another said it was Luke Rigby so we will have to wait for that one. The other two were from Scott Palmer with a neat finish to give Newquay some hope then Luke Weldhen with what turned out to be a late consolation.

The free kick that opened the scoring for G was a superb strike that any player would have been proud of.

Well done to Derek, John, Mick, Tanya and all the players of the G a thorougly deserved win and no complaints from me. The G were just that little bit better than Newquay in every department yesterday and there seemed to be a greater desire to win from their players than from the Newquay players. In very difficult conditions i thought both teams went hammer and tongs to try an win the game but Godolphin's finishing was better than Newquay's. I bet Phil Hiscox and the Ground Hoppers were delighted with such an entertaining game and hopefully everyone there enjoyed the game despite the weather. I think Kevin Knowles refereed the game very sensibly given the conditions and the fact that it was a local derby. Whilst I am disappointed I am very proud of the run that our boys have produced to get us into the position where we currently are in the league. We now look forward to Tuesday evening and the visit of St Austell to Mount Wise for another big game. It is great for the Club that these big games are happening at the end of the season, far better than having nothing to play for. Well done to the G boys again and a special mention for Mark Rose ("Squizzer") who was the outstanding individual player on the day.