Cornwall Football Forum

Torpoint V Clevedon

The last time the referee checked the position of the keeper was right at the start of the clip, yet when questioned by Clevedon's secretary insisted the keeper was in the centre of the goal!!

Now this is not sour grapes, we were beaten by a good side, but it would have made a major difference especially as five minutes later Torpoint pulled the game back to 3-2

apparently the clip got aired on the local news accross the south of England last night.

Yes the keeper can move along the line, but the referee is supposed to make sure that the players are in the correct position, if the keeper is off his line which he was then it should have been retaken, the referee did not check where the keeper was and just blew his whistle, was it gamesmanship probably but then the referee should have booked the keeper, next time your at a match and a penalty is awarded somebody will try something to put the taker off, that decision just about summed up the refs performance

Well the referee certainly clearly whistled for the kick to be taken, surely this should have alerted the keeper as to the fact the kick was about to be taken, the keeper did not react to the whistle at all.

is that a referees opinion or based on the laws of the game, because my understanding is that the referee should ensure that all players are in the correct position before blowing his whistle to allow the kick to be taken?

Yes the ref was poor but having been a keeper if you about when a pen is being taken and the ref deems you to be ready then he will blow, seen keepers sidestepping up and down the line trying to put players off and wobbling etc. Shoulda been pen at other end too but was unfortunate on torpoint and there will always be this argument but it's happened now and can't be changed

i'm pretty sure i remember barthez in his days at united always banged his boots against each post before facing a spot kick. on one occassion barthez was in the act of doing this and the penalty was taken and scored without barthez, the keeper, being ready. I am pretty sure that the ref blew his whistle for the penalty to be taken... but then made the penalty be retaken when barthez was ready.

now i could have just imagined this or thought it would be a good idea to teach the keeper a lesson as i was pretty young at the time!

Perfectly legal. On the line, between the posts and facing play. The referee has therefore started play with his whistle. The ball went between the posts and crossed the line.

Goal stands.

I beg to disagree, the keeper was NOT facing play, as is clearly shown in video clip.

Whilst the keeper may be guilty of gamesmanship, the Referee dealt with is penalty truly appalingly.

I am not a Torpoint supporter, but a Saltash United supporter, so no bias here.

The last time the referee checked the position of the keeper was right at the start of the clip, yet when questioned by Clevedon's secretary insisted the keeper was in the centre of the goal!!

Now this is not sour grapes, we were beaten by a good side, but it would have made a major difference especially as five minutes later Torpoint pulled the game back to 3-2

apparently the clip got aired on the local news accross the south of England last night.

I Think the refs got it wrong,pipes is having a drink b4 the ball is on the spot,if he goes 4 a drink when the balls on the spot then a yellow card is fair enough,very very bad decision by the ref.

Putting the boot on the other foot so to speak, surely it was bad sportmanship for the player taking the penalty when he could see the goalkeeper was not ready. So perhaps we should not leap to put the blame on the referee when in fact the players involved were guilty of unsporting behaviour.

But were you at the game?

Yes, both players are guilty of bad sportmanship, the the Referee has the whistle and should not have blown it until the goalkeeper was in position.

Pastyman of course I was not at the game, all I am doing is playing devils adocate and putting different aspects on the scenario. My honest opinion on seeing the video clip and thats all I can base an opinion on is that all three people involved were to blame for the incident. 1 the referee for not making sure the goalkeeper was ready,2 the goalkeeper for delaying the kick trying to put the kicker off (unsporting behaviour ) and 3 the player taking the kick when he could see the goalkeeper was not ready( unsporting behaviour ). I hope that puts my point of view across. Also remember the referee`s decision is final and if he decided that the goal should stand then thats it, to prove that just look at the scoreline.

Pastyman of course I was not at the game, all I am doing is playing devils adocate and putting different aspects on the scenario. My honest opinion on seeing the video clip and thats all I can base an opinion on is that all three people involved were to blame for the incident. 1 the referee for not making sure the goalkeeper was ready,2 the goalkeeper for delaying the kick trying to put the kicker off (unsporting behaviour ) and 3 the player taking the kick when he could see the goalkeeper was not ready( unsporting behaviour ). I hope that puts my point of view across. Also remember the referee`s decision is final and if he decided that the goal should stand then thats it, to prove that just look at the scoreline.

Thanks for being honest and admitting you were not at the game.

As I have stated before, I did attend the game.

I agree, all three were to blame and the penalty should have been retaken.

Thanks for being honest and admitting you were not at the game.

As I have stated before, I did attend the game.

I agree, all three were to blame and the penalty should have been retaken.

The referee was so good he could not see that Liam Thornton had been felled in the penalty area.

I haven't been on here for ages; I hope you've all missed me !

Heard about this one from a Team Manager who thought it the strangest thing he'd seen in years !

I can't hear what the ref had said to the keeper or the player and , I have to say it, very unsporting behaviour by both players.

The keeper was in between the sticks on the goal line and facing the field of play and the whistle was clearly heard by all; therefore the goal (technically) stands and a re-take is NOT awarded.

My take on this , with the good fortune of hindsight; the ref made it hard work for himself although he was technically correct. The unwritten Law of Common Sense does not always get applied correctly.

I don't see anyone having a go at the penalty taker very much, after all, it was him what did it !

A lesson to be learnt here for all concerned; boy do I love this game !

The keeper was in between the sticks on the goal line and facing the field of play and the whistle was clearly heard by all; therefore the goal (technically) stands and a re-take is NOT awarded.

standing directly behind the goal when this happened and at no point was the keeper on the line

that pic is inconclusive, where the ball is he could ( only saying could) have touched the ball first.

nice camera work however

again standing directly behind the goal when this happened and all though it was probably a fair shout for a penalty if liam hadn't gone down so theatrically then maybe a penalty would have been given.

But realistically nothing would have changed the result torpoint lacked belief for the majority of the game, you could say the penalty incident sparked a bit of fight from torpoint which allowed them to pull the two goals back but even when we were then on top we failed to make a positive change to keep the pressure on clevedon, even after clevedon went down to ten men we still took are time making a change and lost the momentum we had built up, hopefully torpoint will have learnt something form this though?

standing directly behind the goal when this happened and at no point was the keeper on the line

that pic is inconclusive, where the ball is he could ( only saying could) have touched the ball first.

nice camera work however

again standing directly behind the goal when this happened and all though it was probably a fair shout for a penalty if liam hadn't gone down so theatrically then maybe a penalty would have been given.

But realistically nothing would have changed the result torpoint lacked belief for the majority of the game, you could say the penalty incident sparked a bit of fight from torpoint which allowed them to pull the two goals back but even when we were then on top we failed to make a positive change to keep the pressure on clevedon, even after clevedon went down to ten men we still took are time making a change and lost the momentum we had built up, hopefully torpoint will have learnt something form this though?

I wasn't there and can only judge by the youtube footage posted here, (can we have some more of this? better than the ,local news these days)and the keeper is technically between the posts and facing the field and on the goal line. However, I agree he does not look like he's expecting the kick to be taken any time soon.

Whichever side of the fence you're on ; and I'm not expecting much response from Clevedon fans; Torpoint can consider themselves very unlucky in this instance.