Cornwall Football Forum

Liskeard get their new manager

Although I'm still awaiting the official word from the club, Joe Davey, who left Launceston less than a week ago, is about to be announced as the new boss of Liskeard.

It's not known for sure when he will take charge of his first game as I gather that Reserve manager Martin McHugh is likely to be looking after things for the next couple of matches.

Guest trueblue

It's now official from the club. Chairman Roger Williams has told CORNISH SOCCER "Can confirm that Joe Davey is first team manager from 4th October."

Just cannot understand the football club. They complain about lack of support and money and yet they take a further step backwards. A perfect opportunity to introduce a local manager and yet decide against it. Surely common sense would tell you that local manager and players = money, support and backing. Liskeard should be one of the biggest clubs in Cornwall and the South West but instead are on the slippery slide backwards. A dated football ground with an even more dated committee!!!!

Guest trueblue

Surely common sense would tell you that local manager and players = money, support and backing.

When has common sense put money into a club! Sponsors put the money in so rightly or wrongly they get a say in the running of clubs. Thats just the way it is, but I'm sure you know already.

i agree to an extent. but if they were to go local (like the second team) they would generate more money for the club through gate receipts etc. as for the sponsor, yes they should have a say if they are on the main committee and only a say!!!!!!

Are the local players good enough for the peninsula premier league? Yes the second team is doing well, but they were relegated last season so playing in a lower league.

the ECPL side of this year only has 2 players left in it from the side that finished last season, and another 2 that played half of that season. the other players have come back from Dobwalls peninsula side and st cleer. are they good enough for the prem???? maybe if given the chance they could answer that question. after playing in both sides over the past two years i personaly believe that there are a few in the resurves that could play it. sponsors do put money into the club, but should respect what the commitee do with it. my opinion would be if the side was more local then the sponsors money would be used better by having a local side as the money that is being used for players wages would go staright back into the club and the club would grow!

Guest trueblue

Are the local players good enough for the peninsula premier league? Yes the second team is doing well, but they were relegated last season so playing in a lower league.

yes i think they are. the majority of the second team have came from dobwalls with a couple of extras. there is a difference between playing in the premier and winning it. whoever and wherever, all you want is a local side. if you have to pay money to watch your local team, you want to know at least some of the players.