Cornwall Football Forum

Dobwalls 2 Foxhole 3

Dobwalls 2 Foxhole 3

Saturday 2nd October 2010

After two successive defeats, Foxhole returned to winning ways with a hard-fought victory over a youthful Dobwalls outfit after an incident-packed match. The Foxes almost drew first blood inside the opening seconds when Griffin's dangerous header from Rickard's cross presented some concern to Hardie, but it quickly became apparent that the home team were pinning their hopes on their speedy twin strikers Richards and Notman, both of whom were soon causing some anxiety to the visiting rearguard. After nine minutes, Richards raced clear to round Billy Holland only to see Adam Holland clear his shot from the line. However, the referee adjudged the keeper had impeded the striker, and controversially issued a yellow card and awarded a penalty, which Richards himself smashed home. Moments later, a well-placed Notman nearly doubled the lead, but his shot narrowly missed the target.

It was to prove costly, as Foxhole began to assert themselves, with Hayhurst and Rowe (twice) going close with headers, Griffin squandering two one-on-ones and Rickard stinging Hardie's hands from distance, as Dobwalls struggled to cope with the Foxes' unashamedly long-ball approach. Nevertheless Richards, in particular, was still lively, and should have done better on thirty-five minutes with only Billy Holland to beat, before, with the final kick of the half, a long ball was not dealt with by Hardie under pressure from Rowe, allowing Rickard to force home the equaliser from close range.

Now attacking down the slope, the Foxes were to enjoy their most productive spell early in the second-half with a change of tactics to a shorter-passing style which did not make life easy for the towering central defenders Hawes and Thackeray. Immediately on the restart, Friendship's free-kick from the left was headed on by Rowe for Rickard to strike an effort against a post, Bromhead being happy to hack away; from the corner, Rowe met Rickard's flighted centre with a thumping header into the net. Griffin soon found himself in the clear but was again unable to convert, while Hardie denied Rickard with a fine save before, on the hour, Rickard played an intelligent one-two with Rowe to give Hayhurst the opportunity to score from three yards.

Griffin was giving Jones a torrid time, and may have done better with two further chances, but Richards, recently the recipient of a yellow card for fouling Rickard, gave his team hope with his second with twenty minutes remaining following good work by Lawrence. It was certainly game on, but instead of the expected goalmouth excitement and tension due to Dobwalls pressure as they sought a point, the match degenerated into a relentless procession of bookings. Ralph's name was taken after a foul on Lawrence, Griffin took exception to Richardson's challenge on Dingle, and they were both cautioned, and Andy Frost talked his way into the book before being shown an immediate second yellow for further dissent on eighty-four minutes. Tapper was next, also for speaking out of turn, before the match ended in some confusion with Hawes appearing to be dismissed for two more yellow cards in rapid succession for yet more dissent. Consequently Foxhole were able to comfortably see out time to secure the three points they deserved and climb to seventh in the table.

Foxhole (3-5-2): Billy Holland; Adam Holland, Lee Whetter, Bradley Ralph; Carl Rickard, Scott Laughton, Ryan Hayhurst, Brandon Tregidgo (sub. Jordan Dingle), Kyle Friendship; Richard Griffin (sub. Gareth Geach), Mark Rowe.

Dobwalls (4-4-2): Ben Hardie; Shaun Jones (sub. Matt Williams), Phil Bromhead, Matt Hawes, Matt Thackeray; Dan Lawrence, Andy Frost, Bradley Richardson (sub. Matt Frost), Steve Tapper; Ryan Richards, Josh Notman.

Referee: Mr James Strout (Port Isaac).

Its a fact of footballing life that clubs bring in players from elsewhere in an effort to win games.

However I think if I'd have been Manager of Foxhole I don't think I could have come on here posting such a glowing match report knowing that my team had been full of " ringers "

What happens to the poor numptys who had to sit on the bench while the saints players enjoyed their afternoon

Will they turn up next week or are they off somewhere else

What must young Ayden Rundle be thinking,having sat on the bench for several games.

No doubt Foxhole will "offer" some players to St.Dennis when they don't have a game.However,I doubt wether any of them are any better than St,Dennis lads.

I suspect the Foxes will find that what goes around,comes around.I thought that Glyn was above all this!

What must young Ayden Rundle be thinking,having sat on the bench for several games.

No doubt Foxhole will "offer" some players to St.Dennis when they don't have a game.However,I doubt wether any of them are any better than St,Dennis lads.

I suspect the Foxes will find that what goes around,comes around.I thought that Glyn was above all this!

ha ha, ringers! aren't they generally players brought in from higher league clubs? i think you might find that we were short of players due to suspension, hols and work commitments, the st.Dennis lads were availible and wanted a game so we were happy to have them rather than ravage our second team.(we also had a 'ringer'from sticker, and a stand in goalkeeper who is not playing for any other team!) I'm sure young Ayden didn't mind too much as he was on holiday and has actually played in all the games he's been with us and only from the bench once!

I'm very sorry if you guys feel we gained an unfair advantage by starting two players from the league below, a goalkeeper who's not playing regularly and then by bringing on a left back from the league below and playing him as a striker! were still a bit short this week so if either of you fancy a game give us a shout lol! :P

No need to apologise

Not sure what the actual definition of a ringer is - Those boys that you had in from St Dennis may play in a lower league nominally but they'd walk in your team and you know it !

On the other hand I'd be quite willing to help you out on sat - I'm not quite as quick as I once was now that I'm 52 and about 16 stone

Good Luck anyway

It will be interesting to hear peoples views and thoughts at the end of the season when teams call on the "help" of other players to either win them promotion or avoid relegation. The teams that normally loose out are those who battle through the season, fight for points to keep them afloat and then turn out on a saturday and find they are playing against opposition from much higher leagues because players have offered their "help" !!

Managers should have more committment to the club they work with and use the squads they have built up over the previous months of the year instead of enlisting the "help" of others.

MQ