Cornwall Football Forum

WESTERN LEAGUE

with a quarter of the season gone and usual candidates for top spot

all around top eight i wonder how many would take the next step to w/league

with the vase results in mind i feel that quite a few could hold thier own

playing wise, It would be nice to see one of "our" clubs bringing western league

footie down here again,

i think that if parkway won the league they would go up, and i wouldnt be surprised to see

regular 400+ fans at bolitho,

Good luck to all teams and hope we have western league representation next season

It would be better if there was automatic promotion.... however that may be unfair on the more western based sides, just think if Falmouth or the likes of Penzance , Bodmin even the St Austell based clubs were to go up think of the travel costs, and the cost of refs etc... it could cripple the clubs financally from which they would never recover, the crowds would not be that higher either to cover the costs, however the more eastern based clubs like Parkway, Buckland would not have that far extra to travel and could easily move to the higher league.

One season in the higher league, may be a step too far for many clubs... and maybe cause a few clubs to go to the wall....

Cornish based clubs without a benefactor such as a businessman... ie Truro will not make the leap...

If it was automatic promotion would we see a final day loss to avoid promotion....by certain clubs....

Red Viking, finally, someone has said what i've been saying all along!! promotion is just not worth for Western Sides, there's no money in football down here (profit making money).

One of the best posts ever written on here!

apart from the logistics of the travel involved the biggest bar for most clubs would be the cost of players!

I have nothing against any club in this league but if the situation arises I personally think prmotion should be taken.

Wasn't that the whole reason for founding the SWPL by the fact that now you can bypass Western one and go straight to Western Premier?

I can understand the concerns regarding expenses but I personally will always route for a team I know are going to take the step over a team that will not.

What I cannot understand and this is not meant detramentally is as I have travelled around Cornwall over these passed few seasons and spent time chatting in the club houses afterwards you guys are very passionate about your football and from what I understand it is a strong talking point however, when the subject of moving up the pyramid comes up so does the excuses of why you can't do it.

When the Peninsula Leagu was formed Witheridge finished the season before in the Devon League a couple of places below the required end position to be able to enter the Premier but due to Budleigh Salterton not taking promotion and Newton Abbot not allowed to we were offered a place to which we jumped at the opportunity and are so glad we did even though this season isn't going to well :rolleyes:

Travelling expenses didn't really play a part in making this decision and for a side that at the time had been playing Devon and Exeter League football only twelve months before where you only really play local sides in front of a crowd of around 20 Witheridge showed their ambitions by making the decision hat yes will will travel to the far west of Cornwall to play football beacause we want to challenege ourselves at the highest standard possible when we could of took the easy option and said no we ae going to join the Eastern division because we can't afford the travel expenses.

Red Viking, finally, someone has said what i've been saying all along!! promotion is just not worth for Western Sides, there's no money in football down here (profit making money).

One of the best posts ever written on here!

apart from the logistics of the travel involved the biggest bar for most clubs would be the cost of players!

Agree with the logistical problems and the burden on finances that would bring BUT people playing in the Peninsula league are getting way more money tha 95% of Western League players.

I have nothing against any club in this league but if the situation arises I personally think prmotion should be taken.

Wasn't that the whole reason for founding the SWPL by the fact that now you can bypass Western one and go straight to Western Premier?

The re-organisation of the leagues was also intended to concentrate the Devon and Cornwall clubs in the Western Premier division, rather than split across the WL Premier and Div 1. This has happened except for Elmore of course. By co-incidence three of the four clubs relegated from the Western Premier over the last couple of seasons were from North Wilts, eliminating these long away trips (although adding to Elmore's mileage).

I believe teams should be encouraged to take promotion but can fully understand the reason why most prefer to remain in the cswpl as the western league catchment area basicaly stretches from Lands end to the Swindon area which must be nearly 250 miles apart. One solution may be to form a separate league at step 5 the same level as western premier for teams from cornwall, Devon, west Somerset and west Dorset, this could incoparate western based teams in the 3 ares named above plus the top sides from the cswpl if they so wished to move up. The cswpl and the western league could then promote teams from their respective feeder leagues to allow for the sides that have moved on.

The way this would work is that there would need to be 3-4 clubs to have the funds to get promoted initially softening the initial few seasons. A few more clubs could then afford it then it could lead to 4-5 away trips to Cornwall and 7-8 to Devon with the rest a bit further. It would take a few years to even out but it is the only way that it would work I think.

AFC ST Austell would definitely go up........ With out a shadow of a doubt.......Forward thinking clubs make the transistion easy... St Austell do have the advantage of a large catchment area with lots of businesses to support and fans wanting to fill the coaches on away trips.....

With the new floodlights and another new stand going up in early 2011 this club wont stand still........ Try and tell a sponsor that you have won the league but won take the opportunity to go up..... but telling them that you are the 2nd highest ranking club in cornwall and watch the money come flooding in....

AFC St Austell is the future.

Money Man