Cornwall Football Forum

MASSEY LEAVES BUCKLAND ATH

OFFICIAL CLUB STATEMENT......taken from the Buckland website.

Buckland Athletic Football Club have today parted company with 1st team manager Steve Massey. The decision has been made over concerns as to the future direction of the club.

We thank Steve very much for his efforts and wish him all the very best for the future.

Antony Lynch has been given the role of Caretaker Manager whilst the committee take the time to assess the best way forward for the club

i think it might of had something to do with his style. there were alot of people on saturday saying how trevor (i think he is called) of st.austell had put the effort in, wearing a lovely maroon coloured suit to welcome the champions but massey had gone for a asda george special!!

in all serious gd luck to whoever takes over at buckland and looking forward to masseys mutterings in the next few weeks

Surely the committee would not replace a manager just because of a couple of unexpected results.

Perhaps the relationship between manager and players has broken down.

Unexpected? Surely the result against Parkway wasnt that unexpected..and with the result St. Austell had against Pakrway, Buckland should have known they were in for a rough ride. Looking foward to the mutterings tomorrow.

P.S, at least a team will be getting changed in a shed this weekend, rather than not at all...

From a reliable resource i am told that there was a "WitchHunt" orchestrated by whom is yet to be knowm to oust the Manager. Bucklands committee have run for cover and hid behind the smokescreen of "Didnt like the direction in which massey was taking the club" is to be interpreted as they cannot cope or manage the profile massey had created, and infact didnt like the idea of progressing to the Western division if they had won pronotion this year.

So calling all footballers and fans alike, (exception to J miller he only plays because he can paint!!)the truth is yet to come out, as you dont sack your manager when you are sitting second in the league, possibility of winning games in hand, to put you top by four points do you????

I predicted Christmas.

I'm afraid the prediction prize goes to 'motherwontletmegoargyle' who wrote on another thread:

Will he last to the end of the season, year or even til the clocks go back?

Think you'll find that motherwontletmegoargyle COVERED all angles......... the winner has got to be Goldeneye........... :thumbsup:

Personally, Buckland Athletic were worthy Champions last season and won it without attracting a bad reputation or with a poor attitude. I am afraid the introduction of Steve Massey changed all that. The Charity Cup game at Tavistock was a fine example of Steve Masseys tactics, getting Darren Gilbert banned from the dug-out, after an altercation between them at half time.

No doubt there will be rumours in the coming days/weeks relating to the departure of Steve Massey, could be interesting.

Unfortunately, Steve Massey has a higher opinion of himself, than others have.

So will there be "Masseys Mutterings" this week?

"i think it might of had something to do with his style. there were alot of people on saturday saying how trevor (i think he is called) of st.austell had put the effort in, wearing a lovely maroon coloured suit to welcome the champions but massey had gone for a asda george special!!"

Nice one ssshhh.....

Our Trevor is always elegantly turned out and a fine ambassador for the club - as you say, far more dapper than SM!! Trevor's wife Pam is behind the players & officials hospitality food which i belive is top notch. :thumbsup:

Steve Massey has always been a jack in the box jumping from one club to another just take Truro & Falmouth as starters,

If any clubs in the SW peninsular League are sensible, they will stear clear of him,

he appears to be the man that you want, but is quite likely to jump ship if he does not get what he wants,

So in this case he will probably say that he was not sacked but decided to leave,

Hammers :c::huh: :c:

REIGNING Carlsberg South West Peninsula League champions Buckland Athletic have parted company with manager Steve Massey after a meeting at Homers Heath on Monday night.

Buckland chairman Roy Holmes, who was not present at the meeting, could only say: "It is my understanding that Mr Massey had been sacked and that the club would be making a full statement at a later date."

A short statement was released by officials at Homers Heath yesterday, stating: "We thank Steve very much for his efforts and wish him all the very best for the future.

"Antony Lynch has been given the role of caretaker manager whilst the committee take the time to assess the best way forward for the club."

Massey was given the task of guiding Buckland to a second consecutive Peninsula League title during the close season and, up until the past three weeks, he had been in charge of a side unbeaten in the league.

A 5-1 defeat at Saltash was followed by a narrow 1-0 success at Tavistock but Plymouth Parkway's 4-2 victory at Homers last Tuesday was followed by the shock 6-4 defeat at St Austell on Saturday.

It is believed that it is not this run of results that has led to Massey leaving the club but concerns as to the future direction of the club that led the Steering Committee coming to their decision on Monday.

Massey was obviously upset when he spoke to the Herald Express, admitting: "I'm bitterly disappointed in the decision that the club has made.

Massey explained the circumstances in which he was informed of the news.

"In a brief phone call last night (Monday) I was offered the opportunity to stand down and if I didn't take that offer then I would be sacked.

"I didn't want to give them that option as in my time at the club I've done nothing to be ashamed of or be disappointed in.

"I feel very proud of what I was trying to build and so I await, with anticipation, a statement from Buckland giving the full reasons for my dismissal."

Massey was annoyed that he was not included in the meeting, adding: "The way it was done does not give them any credit as I thought they were bigger and better people than that.

"To hold, what is basically a Kangaroo Court, put me on trial and find me guilty without even offering me the opportunity to attend and answer these allegations and slurs is so disappointing."

From WMN Today

Posts concerning Steve Massey that have appeared recently-many entertaining stories- always remind me of the notorious Witchfinder General who flourished in 17th,Century England.I believe his method was that he would attempt to drown a suspected Witch.If she drowned she was innocent:if she didn't she was guilty-so she was drowned anyway.

That seems to correspond roughly with some of the "justice" regularly administered on this Forum.

Better beware,though-one account has it that he was eventually set upon by the disgruntled victims and hanged for Whitchcraft himself.