Cornwall Football Forum

Vote for the strongest League?

Vote for the Stongest League........  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the strongest league...

• The Old South Western League
    • South West Peninsula Premier Division

The old south western league was step 7 i think, and peninsula league step 6, now, but which is strongest?

The league is more even due to the consistent relegation of clubs every season - no more re-election for the bottom sides. Cornish clubs such as Liskeard, Blazey, Launceston not as strong as a few years back. The current top 3 Peninsula sides are from Devon. Former SWL clubs Newquay, Porthleven, Callington in the league below can not yet make the step up - Wadebridge likely to join them being surpassed by stronger Devon clubs.

think the difference is 10/15 years ago the best players generally played for the top 3/4 clubs. so you were guaranteed points against lower teams, and not many shocks, very much like the premiership now.

now it seems every club can point to 2/3 players who could play for the top 4/5 teams. so i think the the league is much more even now, where as, in my opinion, the top sides today, are not as good as yesteryears top sides.

so, id say the league is stronger now, but the top sides not as dominant.

having played in both leagues i can say without any doubt that the old south western league was better, and not just the top the teams, but right through the league. i think if you ask any players that have also played in both leagues they will say the same.

I have played in both but I was very young when competing int the Old South Western League. Most of the the old boys always say the standard has dropped dramatically?!?! :c:

I think the new SWPL has had a detrimental affect on Cornish football on the whole,instead of having three Senior leagues in Cornwall we now have four. The Prem SWPL may be as strong as the old South Western League but Div 1 West doesn't appear to be very strong.This has no doubt had a knock on effect to the Combination Leagues. :unsure: :ninja: