Cornwall Football Forum

question for u

Cheers dave i know there is no senior side now but what was the ruling if u had 2 or more players representing the county??? Surely the rule should apply for the youth aswell?? i know tommy picks the boys who are playing at the highest level possible, after all it is still a county game. Wasn't there a rule made this season about this??

There is no Rule in the Peninsula League which would permit the postponement of a league fixture because 2 or more players were representing their County. However, Leagues over which the County has sanction (ECPL & Combination) can be approached requesting postponement (CCFA Rule 13). So, Peninsula League Clubs can use players from their Reserve team to fill the gaps left by those selected for County games without having to field a depleted Reserve team on the same day.

The step system has almost put an end to county senior football. A club can no longer postpone a fixture if they have 2 or more players in the county side, they can however bring the game forward and who's going to do that?

Other counties were having problems fielding sides and pulled out of the competition. Cornwall were left with no one to play.

We have problems ourselves. Most clubs are sympathetic towards the Cornwall Youth Team. Newquay have 4 in our side for our game at Saltash on Saturday against Northamptonshire and will not be able to postpone their game. I'm grateful to Jim Hilton for his support and to all the other managers who have given their consent to their players playing for us.

Last season we "allowed" players to represent their clubs even though they were selected for the Cornwall team. It caused us some problems but we had to cope.

This Saturday we will be without Chris Luxton as Bodmin require his services for their game against Buckland. We totally understand why Darren Gilbert would need Chris for this fixture but hope that he will be available for our next fixture.

It's a sad irony that on 2 previous occasions when Newquay and Penryn have met, Newquay have had up to 5 players in the Cornwall side.

There's no doubt that the players who are selected for Cornwall are given the opportunity to play and get a different football education. The standard is high and with no senior team, it's the last chance they'll get to play for their county.

I understand both sides and I'm grateful to managers who have the forsight to understand that their players will benefit from the experience.

Some of the players will have already enhanced their profile by getting in our side and will be picked up by teams in a higher league. I'm as interested in player development as the results. If you can develop the players, the results will usually follow. Ask anyone who's played for us and I'm sure they will consider it a very worthwhile experience.

As managers of our respective teams we need to work together, something that I've always tried to do in the past. If there is no co-operation then the future is bleak for the Cornwall Youth Team. We've already lost 2 counties for this forthcoming season.

surely the best way to look at this situation is "short term loss long term gain" clubs like newquay are to be commended for constantly providing players for the county youth set up :clapper: yes they may lose out in the game against penryn but in the long term they will gain from the county experience.this will surely enhance their standing in the local community as their coaching system has a proven track record and any parent who wants the best for their child would be involved with their club.providing they can keep these players when they get to adult football it is how a good club should be run. :yahoo: :c:

For the past three seasons the Peninsula east and west leagues have finished their fixtures a good 2-3 weeks before the official end of the season, so I see no reason at all, why the match between Newquay V Penryn could not be postponed for another date. After all these are two teams that have good stadia infrastructure and are keen to get into the top league, it would be a shame to see either one of them miss out on a promotion spot because of a jobs worth.

I am very proud of the fact that 4 of our young lads have made it into the County Youth squad for Saturday's game. I know that everyone of the boys is very excited at the prospect of representing the County and is looking forward to the game. It is a great opportunity to play with other great young players from other Clubs and I think there is a special bond between the youngsters who represent the County and I know other Newquay boys who have played for the Duchy have returned after a game with a real positive attitude about a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I think it is good that these boys have the opportunity of working with a highly qualified and motivated coach in Tommy and I am certain that each player will develop their own individual game as a result of the information and advice that Tommy passes on to them. As for Newquay we have tried over the last few seasons to build a squad of players such that any team that plays is capable of winning any game. Although we have 4 missing from Saturday's squad because of the County Youth game I am confident that the team that play's against Penryn on Saturday is capable of getting a positive result and it is an opportunity for those players to stake a claim for a starting position for our next game at home to Porthleven the following Tuesday. I wish, Tommy, the 4 Newquay lads and the other memebrs of the County Youth squad the very best of luck for Saturday against Northamptonshire.

Thanks for your very positive comments Jim, I hope that your short term loss is your long term gain.

Stig, I agree that there are no logical reason why there teams can't postpone their fixture, except that the league system won't allow it. In many respects it penalises the teams that have a burgeoning youth system. It's out of our hands I'm afraid.

The squad is:

Danny Carne

Lewis Hilton

Ryan Barnes

James Ward

Luke Doddridge

Jack Lowden

Ed Goodman

Jack Wood

Adam Solomon

Ben Rosevear

Jack Lawrence

Ben Hurst

Cody Cooke

Tim Nixon

Billy Curtis

Connor Mewton (still to be confirmed)

Whilst pleased that 4 of Jim's (Nqy) young players have been selected, all have been regulars for the 1st team this season. Having lost at home (0-3) to Penryn in the TC, we know that Sats game would have been tough enough without these absentees.

However, I believe the SWPL is wrong to not allow a PP. Having said that there have been at least 2 AGMs since its inception where motions for the rules to be changed can be voted on. I very much doubt if this has happened.

So no use moaning about it part-way thro a season.

If you don't like the rule, try to get it changed.

Midweek can't happen.

Who's going to travel to Northamptonshire etc in midweek? We have U-18 players in our squad and this brings up the issue of child protection when ensuring the players get home at 4am after a game.

Playing Dorset away in Portland would involve a 5 hour journey each way. Assuming that the adults could leave work in the middle of the day (I couldn't) and we kick off at 7.30pm and left at 10pm sharp, allow for the required driver stop of 45 mins work out what time we'd be back!

County FA's would have a huge objection...you wouldn't get anybody to do it.

When we play games on a Saturday I rarely get home before 11pm and that when we kick-off at 2.30pm.

Was hoping the league would tommy ( re arange it ) i know the boys will enjoy the exerience and that, but come the end of the season it might come back and bite them in the ass. There are another 10 -11 players from squad that might disagree and want to make that next step up the league, At the end of the day i thought someone from the league might of sait something about it.GOOD LUCK to u and the boys for saturday tommy u doing a good job

No reason why Penryn v Newquay could not have been played midweek, all that needed doing was the 2 clubs and SWPL agreeing to it 2 weeks before the original fixture. I'm sure Penryn will be delighted to play tomorrow but Newquay will still be able to give them a damn good game, looking forward to it. Lets hope the new away kit will bring the boys some good fortune.