Cornwall Football Forum

Saturday 20th Results

Witheridge 1 Falmouth 0

Falmouth got what they deserved from the game "Nothing" !!!!

This was a poor performance against what wasnt a good Witheridge side, Falmouth were short of two of their better players but that was no excuse for what was the worst Falmouth outing of the season....

Falmouth went one down early on a defensive mistake was punished well and then Chapman had to save a penalty to keep them in the game. Chapman was the only player that take some pride from this game.

Eddy could have squared it up but blasted a great chance wide in the second half...

Falmouth need some new blood, the defence was bad, and there was no control of the ball, too many players appeared to be unable to kick the ball , or pass.....

No Title challenge...

Nothing for the Falmouth faithful this year

Poor

Good result for Bodmin too,looks like we are in for one of the tightest seasons yet in this league, although I should imagine Penzance will be dissapointed with their result.

They appear to be like a pint of Directors Bitter in that they dont seem to travel too well ?

Ive got a feeling there will be a cigarette paper between four clubs at the end of this season.

Combined age of the 2 linesman at the falmouth withy game had to be atleast 140 ! One of them especially must be now in a retirement home he was that old and he along with his other mate couldnt keep up with play ! Not saying they had to much bearing on the result but when their having to guess if people are offside then they do have a negative impact on the game! Same fixture last year a women was linesman and she too couldnt keep up with play ! Seriously has anybody on this forum come across a decent official this season as i dont know if it was possible but they seem to be getting worse ? The Devon FA and Cornwall FA are a JOKE !!!!

ivybridge 1-3 torpoint

Ivybridge had Dennis Mason sent off, to be fair, the defender maybe should have walked as well. The Ivybridge keeper had to be taken off with a suspected broken wrist, to be replaced with an outfield player. Torpoint were lucky not to be down to 10 men after what most of the 80 ish crowd saw as a 2 footed tackle, however, the ref thought otherwise.

A good entertaining game of football.

Combined age of the 2 linesman at the falmouth withy game had to be atleast 140 ! One of them especially must be now in a retirement home he was that old and he along with his other mate couldnt keep up with play ! Not saying they had to much bearing on the result but when their having to guess if people are offside then they do have a negative impact on the game! Same fixture last year a women was linesman and she too couldnt keep up with play ! Seriously has anybody on this forum come across a decent official this season as i dont know if it was possible but they seem to be getting worse ? The Devon FA and Cornwall FA are a JOKE !!!!

Maybe its time to walk the walk and get yourself qualified...................... always on the lookout for officals!

Penzance were depleted again taking several players from the Reserves to fill up the ranks.

Injuries? Suspensions? Or unavailabilities?

Magpies are rocked by latest injury setback

PENZANCE have been dealt a fresh injury blow following the news teenager Mark Richards could be out for the rest of the season with a broken leg.

The 16-year-old suffered a fractured knee and split shin in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Ivybridge at Penlee Park (match report page 86) after a challenge with Dean Smith, which earned the midfielder a yellow card.

Richards was taken to hospital, although the injury did not require surgery.

His leg, however, will remain in plaster for six weeks, before doctors carry out further tests on the injury.

It is the latest blow to strike Penzance, whose season has so far been hampered by a string of injury setbacks.

Magpies' boss Gary Marks said: "The injury jinx goes on and we're bitterly disappointed for Mark.

"There was nothing malicious in the tackle, but there was certainly intent.

"It was one of those rough and tumble games, and unfortunately poor Mark will now be out for a while with a broken leg.

"His leg will be in plaster for six weeks, but after that I don't know how long he will be out for."

Seven players were unavailable for Saturday's game against Ivybridge, although the Magpies could still count themselves unlucky not to come away with all three points after several chances went begging.

Marks is able to call on Steve Burt for the trip to Bovey Tracey this weekend, while Nick Pugliese could feature following a hamstring injury.

Paul and Liam Quinn, brother of head coach Wayne, signed for the Magpies in time to make their debuts against Ivybridge.

They will remain registered with the club, but as they work away from the area, they are unlikely to feature on a regular basis.

As well as the long-term injury to Richards, the Magpies are also without the services of Gerens James, Bradley Wills and Chris Wolstencroft through injury, with the trio sidelined for a month.

Tim Nixon serves the final game of his suspension this weekend, while Simon Stevens is unavailable due to work commitments.

Marks also confirmed that Jamie Devine is unlikely to feature in the near future after revealing the defender "could not commit 100 per cent" due to his work commitments.

After Saturday's game at Mill Marsh Park, the fourth-placed Magpies host St Blazey at Penlee Park on Tuesday evening.

Marks said: "It's difficult to find any kind of consistency when we're struggling to put 11 players out.

"But we will go up to Bovey Tracey with confidence and hopefully push on for three points.

"It would be nice to go into the St Blazey game on Tuesday night with a win under our belt."

Marks, meanwhile, has apologised to supporters for his use of language following the challenge on Richards on Saturday.

He said: "There were ladies and gentlemen behind me when it happened and I apologise to them for my choice of language."

I assume you will be stepping into the breach and doing a refereeing course? That is assuming you are not treating your wife/girlfriend to a night out for cleaning the house lovely :rolleyes:

Saltash United 6 - 1 St Austell

Last I heard Saints were winning 1-0 (Body)!

St Austell took the lead on 3 minutes through Mike Body but from that point on it was pretty much one way traffic as Saltash put in a great performance of attacking football to go 4-1 up at half-time. Gavin Coulton equalised for the Ashes on 22 minutes, and 5 minutes later Sam Hughes gave the home side the lead. Coulton made it 3-1 on 37 minutes and Hughes scored his second of the game just before half-time. Chris Menhenick and Paul Chuwen scored the other Saltash goals. Saltash played some good football and could have increased their lead. The Lillywhites defending was very poor at times and we can't complain about the result. Credit to Saltash, let's hope that we're a bit better against Ivybridge next week!

I'd be very careful if I were you and mind what you’re saying as I (myself a referee) know a lot of refs on the forum so they may take serious offence to this. Although we don’t always make the right decisions but we’re always out there trying our hardest and taking all the abuse we get. If you try running the line for ANY game i think you’ll find out how hard of job it is. Or you could try doing the course and ‘improve’ the standard of assistant refereeing as you think you’re better than what we have already.

I know this year Devon FA and CCFA did an assistant refereeing fitness test but it wasn’t compulsory. I did it and the CCFA one had 3 referees of over 50(in age) pass. I do have a feeling that they are going to try and make it compulsory this year though.

:SM_carton:

Saltash United 6 - 1 St Austell

Last I heard Saints were winning 1-0 (Body)!

St Austell took the lead on 3 minutes through Mike Body but from that point on it was pretty much one way traffic as Saltash put in a great performance of attacking football to go 4-1 up at half-time. Gavin Coulton equalised for the Ashes on 22 minutes, and 5 minutes later Sam Hughes gave the home side the lead. Coulton made it 3-1 on 37 minutes and Hughes scored his second of the game just before half-time. Chris Menhenick and Paul Chuwen scored the other Saltash goals. Saltash played some good football and could have increased their lead. The Lillywhites defending was very poor at times and we can't complain about the result. Credit to Saltash, let's hope that we're a bit better against Ivybridge next week!

To be honest with you, not very professional, but i'm pretty fed up with St.Austell fans coming on here blaming the defence when results don't go our way. Defending starts from the FRONT, and majority of goals today WERE NOT defensive errors. It was excellent movement off the ball from Saltash, and when there are 6 men that need to be picked up running through, and 3 defenders, you've got a pretty tough job on your hands. Well done to Saltash on your win. Thoroughly deserved.

Re Randy's post about the age of the linesman, at the Withy match, the age wouldnt matter if they were fit enough to be in line with play rather than trying to cheat a few yards so as not to be in line... and before you say I was a ref and ran lines in the Western league i look at the standard now and keep thinking of coming back then i think of the abuse, and everything that went with it.....maybe it just aint worth it, but think there should be a fitness test, to ensure that a certain standard is maintained. :SM_carton_y:

Penzance were depleted again taking several players from the Reserves to fill up the ranks.

Injuries? Suspensions? Or unavailabilities?

Magpies are rocked by latest injury setback

PENZANCE have been dealt a fresh injury blow following the news teenager Mark Richards could be out for the rest of the season with a broken leg.

Magpies' boss Gary Marks said: "The injury jinx goes on and we're bitterly disappointed for Mark.

"There was nothing malicious in the tackle, but there was certainly intent.

Sorry but what do you mean - Intent to do what? The only intention was to win the ball.

As I said before, wishing him all the best to a speedy recovery

Witheridge 1 Falmouth 0

Falmouth got what they deserved from the game "Nothing" !!!!

This was a poor performance against what wasnt a good Witheridge side, Falmouth were short of two of their better players but that was no excuse for what was the worst Falmouth outing of the season....

Falmouth went one down early on a defensive mistake was punished well and then Chapman had to save a penalty to keep them in the game. Chapman was the only player that take some pride from this game.

Eddy could have squared it up but blasted a great chance wide in the second half...

Falmouth need some new blood, the defence was bad, and there was no control of the ball, too many players appeared to be unable to kick the ball , or pass.....

No Title challenge...

Nothing for the Falmouth faithful this year

Poor

This was not a poor Witheridge side as 10 out 0f 11 have played for most of this season and longer.Withy dominated most of the game and were unlucky not to win by more and as for Falmouth not being able to pass the ball was down to them more worried about about kicking players (no9 especially).Today was a good performance from Withy and if it continues they will soon move up the table.

:SM_carton_y: Ivybridge Town (0) 1-3 (2) Torpoint Athletic

Att: 80+

Torpoint went to Erme Valley with three first teamers missing to get a hard fought three points. Torpoint scored in the second minute when Lewis Kershaw scored from 8 yards after a Darren Hicks through ball.

Then Iyvbridge suffered the loss of Mike Roberts, their keeper on 15 minutes, with a suspected broken arm/wrist, I wish him well and speedy recovery. Sam Chitty went in the goal, for 'The Ivys' and to be fair he made some good saves during the rest of the game.

The game turned ugly on 38 miuntes when Dennis Mason kicked Warren Daw in the back of the head and he got a stright red card. Warren got a yellow card for standing up to him, I can't blame him though as I would do the same thing. You can't go round kicking people in the head.

In first half stoppage time Lewis Kershaw got brought down in the area by Lee Rundle, for Adam Carter to score from the spot.

In the second half, Ivybridge were the better team even when they had ten mean and got a goal back in the 66th minute when John Wyatt scored a well tock 30 yard screamer. Hopes of a come back disappeared when goal machine Adam Carter scored his second of the game and his 24th league goal, when he did two defenders and driving home from 15 yards.

We took 20 to 25 fans with us to Erme Valley out a crowd of 80+. There was dangerous incident during the game when Martin Piper backed into the post to make a save and he disloged the post for the crossbar to come crashing down, just missing his head, the Torpoint players had to climb up and fix the home sides goal! Then at the end of the game I went in for a pint in there so called club house, to look out of the window in the gloom of Erme Valley to see the Ivybridge Town's plalyers taking down the goals and bring them in. This is not a step 6 setup it's more like a P&D setup or Duchy League set up. They are meant to start on their new ground improvements, they have been going on about for the last three years and all they have to show for it, is a fenced off muddy square. We at Torpoint worked hard in the first two seasons of the SWPL Premier Division to get floodlights, hard standing and a new stand up in the time for the deadline. Sorry for having a moan but when I got back to Torpoint last night my shoes were really muddy and the bottom of my jeans were very muddy as well, you would not get that at 'The Mill'

Match Stats.

Torpoint Athletic: Piper, Todd, W. Daw,White, David, Veale, Kershaw (Hall 76), Roberts ©, Carter, Grant, Hicks.

Subs not used: L. Daw, Payne. Thornton.

Scorers: Kershaw 2, Carter 45 pen. 78

Cards: W.Daw YC 38

Corners: 4

Goals on Target: 8

Goals off Target: 7

Possession: 52%

Ivybridge Town: Roberts (Stevens 14), Wyatt, Scragg, Crowley ©, Rundle, Chitty (went in goal), Mason, M.Landricome, Truelove, McClements (Westcott 78), Simmons.

Subs not used: Sutton, Edwards

Scorers: Wyatt 66

Cards: D. Mason RC 38

Corners:6

Goals on Target: 6

Goals off Target: 10

Possession: 48%

Ref: Darren Thompson

A. Ref: R. Lloyd

A. Ref: I McGuffog

Man of the Match: Lewis Kershaw (Torpoint)

Match Rating: 3/5

We took 20 to 25 fans with us to Erme Valley out a crowd of 80+. There was dangerous incident during the game when Martin Piper backed into the post to make a save and he disloged the post for the crossbar to come crashing down, just missing his head, the Torpoint players had to climb up and fix the home sides goal! Then at the end of the game I went in for a pint in there so called club house, to look out of the window in the gloom of Erme Valley to see the Ivybridge Town's plalyers taking down the goals and bring them in. This is not a step 6 setup it's more like a P&D setup or Duchy League set up. They are meant to start on their new ground improvements, they have been going on about for the last three years and all they have to show for it, is a fenced off muddy square. We at Torpoint worked hard in the first two seasons of the SWPL Premier Division to get floodlights, hard standing and a new stand up in the time for the deadline. Sorry for having a moan but when I got back to Torpoint last night my shoes were really muddy and the bottom of my jeans were very muddy as well, you would not get that at 'The Mill'

I'm sorry but having read this comment I felt the need to reply. I played for ivybridge for 2 yrs and when i was there I enjoyed every minute of it, they are a very hard working club with a great future, the people behind the scenes have been working extremely hard to not only acquire the lease from the council, instead of the cricket team which has been drawn out over the past two season but they have also had to get funding to get this project out the ground, which in the current economical climate Is an uphill battle in it's self. As a club they are building a new ground from scratch which wasnt the same for torpoint you had the basis there already, so I think they should be congratulated on there efforts to get to where they are now.

As for the players taking the goals down what is your problem with that? They didn't ask you to take them down did they! If the players are happy to do that what's the problem, it's not hurting you or anyone else

I dont have a problem with torpoint as a club but this comment is looking down on clubs not so fortunate to be where you are now, both teams are doing extremely well torpoint especially so don't throw away all your hard work and the respect other clubs have for you by writing such an arrogant comment again well done duds and eddy for how your teams are performing this season

Iyvbridge suffered the loss of Mike Roberts, their keeper on 15 minutes, with a suspected broken arm/wristy.

Sorry for having a moan but when I got back to Torpoint last night my shoes were really muddy and the bottom of my jeans were very muddy as well.

Yet again a goalkeeper is injured after a challenge by the torpoint striker, not the first time either!

If you give me your shoes and jeans I'll wash them for you........ If you had not noticed it had been RAINING. Next time wear wellington boots or dont go to the game!

Good luck to Torpoint for the rest of the season.

This was not a poor Witheridge side as 10 out 0f 11 have played for most of this season and longer.Withy dominated most of the game and were unlucky not to win by more and as for Falmouth not being able to pass the ball was down to them more worried about about kicking players (no9 especially).Today was a good performance from Withy and if it continues they will soon move up the table.

Iyvbridge suffered the loss of Mike Roberts, their keeper on 15 minutes, with a suspected broken arm/wristy.

Sorry for having a moan but when I got back to Torpoint last night my shoes were really muddy and the bottom of my jeans were very muddy as well.

Yet again a goalkeeper is injured after a challenge by the torpoint striker, not the first time either!

If you give me your shoes and jeans I'll wash them for you........ If you had not noticed it had been RAINING. Next time wear wellington boots or dont go to the game!

are you suggesting torpoints carter is dirty (Yet again a goalkeeper is injured after a challenge by the torpoint striker, not the first time either!) if so i suggest you check the diciplinary stats on cornish soccer

torpoint 7 yellows 0 reds

Ivybridge 37 yellows 2reds yes thats 37,

are you suggesting torpoints carter is dirty (Yet again a goalkeeper is injured after a challenge by the torpoint striker, not the first time either!) if so i suggest you check the diciplinary stats on cornish soccer

i take you watched the game fingers r us as you got a little bit of mud on your shoes, Might have something to do with the rain we had all week leading up to kick off!!! STUPID...

Well done to Torpoint for getting floodlights up. But took them a long time as they have been playing in the south western league for years, just goes to show that it isn,t cheap and takes alot of planning through the councils that are involved in erecting floodlights.

When you come next year fingers r us you will eat your words but just in case pack your wellies :)

In response to Leaner's comments re my original post, I don't recall ever making a comment criticising the defence in previous games. In retrospect, I can understand why my post may have been seen as a criticism of the defence, but it wasn't intended to be. Some of the defending was poor on Saturday, but I have to agree with Leaner in that the defence didn't get much support from the midfield and attack at times. Saltash did put on a very impressive display of attacking football and throroughly deserved the win. The result was disappointing but I'm sure that Andy and the lads will put this game behind them and look forward to Ivybridge on Saturday.

Up the Lillywhites!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::c: :yahoo:

I've missed the last couple of away games but agree with Leaner in that defending starts up front and the whole team have a role to play. However, the unavoidable truth is that St.Austell are conceding too many goals for whatever reason. I think most supporters were realistic about this season hoping for consolidation and, with luck, getting half way or maybe above. At times we've been superb but also at times looked far too open....is it the formation? Hopefully it's something that can be improved upon - one things for sure The Lillywhites are not boring to watch nor predictable!!

I'm not sure if all the comments towards Witheridge's win over Falmouth, were made by genuine supportors actually watching the game, but i have to agree with North Devon Dweller. though we Falmouth didn't looked to have travelled well and not really got started, lets not take nothing away from Witheridge, who i must agree could and should have scored more goals if it wasn't for our keeper, deserved to win. A game that was well contested at times due to two teams trying to get something out of the match. i'm sure it was a blip and will be put right very quickly. other than a disapointing result, i would like to thank Witheridge and its secretary for the hospitallity shown towards our club, and the best for the rest of the season

No names were mentioned, other than the one you have named! Also, what part is not true in what was stated?

Good luck for the rest of the season.

No names were mentioned, other than the one you have named! Also, what part is not true in what was stated?

[/quot

pmsl are you in politics if not you should be,

i also wish the ivys the best for the season, yourselves and torpoint are certainly making the "big boys"

look over their shoulders.

look forward to the return at the mill

[/quot

pmsl are you in politics if not you should be,

i also wish the ivys the best for the season, yourselves and torpoint are certainly making the "big boys"

look over their shoulders.

look forward to the return at the mill

I agree with you 100% I think there could be a few more shock results before the end of the season.