Cornwall Football Forum

Bloxwich Utd V Torpoint Athletic

Well done to the players on an awesome comeback at The Red Lion Ground.

The team were magnificently backed, with about 40 supporters making the trip to the Midlands, leaving Torpoint at 7.30 am.

The pitch has a significant slope, running end to end and the home team used this to their advantage in the first half, adapting better to the heavy conditions.

An early goal settled Bloxwich, with Torpoint struggling to get going. Even so we still had a couple of good chances to get into the game and had a good penalty shout turned down late in the half. Bloxwich continued to pose a threat on the counter and I'm sure all were happy to turn round one goal down and still in the match.

Torpoint dominated the second half, but against the run of play, an excellent ball into the box from Bloxwich on the hour mark saw a header end up in the net and double their advantage.

Torpoints spirit that has seen us come back on numerous times this season then came to the fore.

On 74 mins Mike Roberts thumped the ball home to give us hope.

On 80 mins the referee awarded a free kick to Torpoint, which after consultation with the assistant became a penalty. Adam Carter calmly slotted home to the keepers right. Cue celebrations from the away support with the hosts visibly stunned.

88 mins excellent work by Carter saw him square the ball to Liam Thornton who somehow managed to miss the target with the goal gaping. The feeling was that was our chance gone.

Not to worry, 90 mins on the clock and Carter fires into the bottom corner to send the away fans mad with delight.

Attendance roughly 140 (made up by a fair number of "neutrals", due to a few games in the area postponed)

Well done fellas.......Dear FA....time for a home draw please

Well done to our sec Simon Bell....conducted a good number of updates live on Radio Cornwall

Hello,

I was one of the neutrals yesterday and just wanted to come and post my congratulations.

Thought that Torpoint looked to play the better football in the first half on a sodden pitch and against some fairly industrial challenges from the home side. I noted at half time a Torpoint fan reporting back complaining about the same and felt the referee had been rather to lenient on some of the offenders. I can see where he was coming from although to go as far as to say he felt the home side should have been down to eight men was a little extreme.

There were two fairly important decisions that the ref made that did favour the visitors in the second half, firstly the Torpoint keeper may have seen red rather than yellow for a challenge outside of the box, the close attentions of the centre half (with whom if communciaion had been better the foul may never have arisen) may have meant the ref saw fit to only pass a yellow. The second ws the decision to award the penalty, although it ws good to see the officials take their time over the decision and consult I did wonder exactly why they had to talk for so long!! The officials probably got the decisions right....they were 100 yards closer than me for the penalty shout...and, if so, it is good that the big decisions were made correctly and didn't spoil the game.

I always felt that should Torpoint notch a goal they may have gone on to get more and so it proved.

A good game, although I was sort of hoping for Bloxwich to get a late equaliser purely because it would have been interesting to see how both teams would have reacted during extra time. As both of the Bloxwich goals came from headers I did think the stoppage time corners may have yielded something. I was confused as to why the massive Torpoint centre forward didn't come back for set pieces in the first half.

As the goal didn't come I was just as grateful to get in as it was bitterly cold.

Stand out players for Torpoint were the keeper and the number 7 in the first half and the hobbit like number 11 in the second, who refused to let the game go and kept running and running and running.

Will keep an eye out for the next draw and hope to see Torpoint progress. If they make the final I will make sure I go and lend my support.

Hope everyone made it back safe.