Cornwall Football Forum

Games off Saturday January 29th 2011

With today's Camelford v St Austell tie being postponed, this means it will have to be played next Saturday, so the following league fixtures will be postponed:-

CSWPL Premier DivisionTorpoint v St Austell Division One WestOkehampton Argyle v Camelford

Advised by Mike Sampson, CSWPL Press Officer

Callington late call off was a joke... after everyone was told at 11.00 am that it was fine, and even the offer of playing the fixture at Falmouth was turned down by the home side at that stage....the pitch was too hard at 1.15 pm and the temperature had not changed during the day, so the pitch was that hard at 11.00 am if not harder, so why didnt someone check it after the 11.00 am inspection.

A long trip for nothing, which could have been avoided if the home side had been a bit more realistic about the state of the pitch earlier in the day, its not like the Elburton match earlier in the season when further rain hit a sodden pitch.

All in all a poor show, and one that could have been avoided !

Lets have a go next week and i bet Falmouth wont set off until it is confirmed, maybe if the Football League rule was put in place with the home side paying travel expences for late call off's after the away side has left, then this would be stopped as it doesnt have any consequence for the home side at the moment!

If they cant hold the tie next week the League will have to step in! :angry2:

Callington late call off was a joke... after everyone was told at 11.00 am that it was fine, and even the offer of playing the fixture at Falmouth was turned down by the home side at that stage....the pitch was too hard at 1.15 pm and the temperature had not changed during the day, so the pitch was that hard at 11.00 am if not harder, so why didnt someone check it after the 11.00 am inspection.

A long trip for nothing, which could have been avoided if the home side had been a bit more realistic about the state of the pitch earlier in the day, its not like the Elburton match earlier in the season when further rain hit a sodden pitch.

Lets have a go next week and i bet Falmouth wont set off until it is confirmed, maybe if the Football League rule was put in place with the home side paying travel expences for late call off's after the away side has left, then this would be stopped as it doesnt have any consequence for the home side at the moment!

So how many more league fixtures do Town have to cancel? Home ones at that! They've had two goes at this and failed, the fixture should be switched to Bickland, it could even be an evening game.

BIG HAIRY DAVE ...... if the match at Callington was called off at 12.15 how come when i arrived at 1.15 for the match the tea bar was open and they asked me to pay to get in!!!!!!

If the match was off already then that would be fraud!!!!

Dont know what Callingtons problem is but hope when Town eventually get them onto the pitch if they ever do they give them a right proper tanking!!!!

The league should get hold of the problem and sort it.... home teams sometimes find that certain players are not avilable then games are pulled not saying that this was the case but it is so easy to do without costing you a penny!!!

Red Viking. I am only going off what the SWP League Postponements forum said and my source who is close to the referee. I was told that a level 4 match official was inspecting the pitch at 11am and was unsure, called the referee to discuss and made a final decision at 11.30. I may be totally wrong and I will apologise for that.

Here in Birmingham each club has two chances before the game is reversed. Maybe something should be proposed as a rule change nect season?

home teams sometimes find that certain players are not avilable then games are pulled not saying that this was the case but it is so easy to do without costing you a penny!!!

Is it not the case that......The only person who can call the game off is the referee or whoever has been appointed to inspect the pitch,the club does not have any say in it.

home teams sometimes find that certain players are not avilable then games are pulled not saying that this was the case but it is so easy to do without costing you a penny!!!

Is it not the case that......The only person who can call the game off is the referee or whoever has been appointed to inspect the pitch,the club does not have any say in it.

It has been known for some managers to try and influence the referee!

why didnt they use the 3g like they did in the last round ???

Mike Murrey inspected the pitch at 11am, the pitch was hard but playable, the players turned up for 2 pm to find the Falmouth Town contingent discussing the pitch, they thought it was to hard to play on(even though it can be a lot harder at the start and end of the season). The match referee then decided to call the game off. It was suggeted that we then played at Bickland Park with a 4pm ko, the league would not agree to this ( no idea why). Callington then trained on the pitch for the next 70 mins, no one got hurt or died! The 3g pitch was not an option because it was locked and not prepared by the school who own and run the 3g.

There's nothing on the SWPL postponements website about the Callington game being postponed. The posting at 12.12 is about the postponement of the Camelford game.

There's a copy of the FA directive regarding inspections on the SWPL postponements website which says "If after consultation with the match Referee, the ground is declared fit and the away Club instructed to travel, then only in exceptional circumstances should the match Referee reverse the decision."

BIG HAIRY DAVE ...... if the match at Callington was called off at 12.15 how come when i arrived at 1.15 for the match the tea bar was open and they asked me to pay to get in!!!!!!

If the match was off already then that would be fraud!!!!

Dont know what Callingtons problem is but hope when Town eventually get them onto the pitch if they ever do they give them a right proper tanking!!!!

The league should get hold of the problem and sort it.... home teams sometimes find that certain players are not avilable then games are pulled not saying that this was the case but it is so easy to do without costing you a penny!!!

The problem is - the cold weather !

If you notice the last two weeks games have been called off around the higher parts of East Cornwall/West Devon due to frozen pitches. Seems to me the home side did what they could and should have done, by calling in a local referee at least once ( and thanks to him ), that official communicating with the match re, who unfortunately decided to call the game off on his arrival.

The point here is that the pitch had been deemed playable following the 11 o'clock inspection by a referee (not the match referee).

I've copied below the FA Directive from the SWPL website which states that this decision should only be overturned in exceptional circumstances.

I know this was a CCFA match not SWPL but presumably the guidance is the same.

So unless there was a dramatic change in weather conditions between 11am and 2pm then surely the match should have gone ahead.

FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION DIRECTIVE

Recommended procedure for the guidance of Clubs and Referees

in determining the suitability of grounds in adverse weather conditions

Each Club must take every precaution to ensure that its ground is in a fit playing condition.

When the regional weather conditions are known to be extreme (e.g. prolonged severe frost, clear water logging or heavy snow) then the game can be postponed at the discretion of the League following consultation with the League Secretary, League Rules will apply; this is not an issue for the match day Referee. Should a Competition decide to agree to an early postponement under such circumstances there will be no requirement for a pitch inspection.

In all other circumstances and subject to the time and travelling distance, the match Referee should be called in to make a decision. In the event of the match Referee being unable to carry out the inspection, the Home Club must select an alternative Referee listed within the National List of Supply Referees (Level 4) or in exceptional cases a senior level 5 or a member of the list of assessors.

If a specific League Rule exists where the timing of a pitch inspection is stated, this will apply but is a League issue only. The South West Peninsula League Rules do not list a time as such but requires inspections to be carried out on the day of the match and in such time as to prevent unnecessary travelling of the away team.

Prior to reaching a decision the Referee who is making the inspection must:

o Consult with the match Referee prior to the inspection

o Consult with the match Referee during / after the inspection to mutually

agree on a decision prior to notifying the Home Club Secretary and the League Secretary.

Prior to reaching a decision the Referee who is making the inspection should consider the following:

o Whether or not the ground (playing area) is dangerous (e.g. ice / frost)

o Whether or not that the spectator standing areas are dangerous (e.g. ice / frost)

o Whether or not conditions are or could turn farcical

o The views of the Home Club Groundsman in terms of local knowledge

and draining capabilities in the event of standing water

o The existing condition of the playing surface in conjunction with the

prevailing weather conditions as previously confirmed with the local

weather authority

o Inspect thoroughly - use a ball, and playing staff if necessary

o Fog creates its' own problems - check forecast (remember that there is a responsibility to paying spectators)

o When dealing with such elements as frost or ice - remember that the

highest temperature of the day is usually around mid-day. Get a forecast if necessary of the projected temperature for the time when the match is due to conclude

o The manpower available to the Home Club to carry out any necessary

work to make the ground playable

o The time the visiting Club are due to commence their journey

o Liaise with Managers BUT the decision as to whether the match is played

is yours

If after consultation with the match Referee, the ground is declared fit and the away Clubs instructed to travel, then only in exceptional circumstances should the match Referee reverse the decision.

If an early inspection has not been carried out and the match Referee arrives at the ground to find the playing conditions in doubt due to unexpected deterioration in the weather, he should first consider as many of the above points before committing himself to a decision.

on arrival at 1245 the pitch was icy and solid goal to goal right through only small parts of pitch had any give in it, totally right decision to cancel, not ideal for anyone. pitch was in great nick a real shame no one can help the weather.

Does this suggest then that the earlier mid-morning inspection could have been a little more thorough?

According to middle man's mate earlier in this topic, Mike Murrey inspected the pitch at 11am and the pitch was hard but playable.

Evidently one man's playable is another man's icy and solid goal to goal.

In my humble opinion those who spent good money travelling from Falmouth should be entitled to some kind of recompense.

I've been asked by a SWPL representative to point out that Callington v Falmouth is a county cup game and not a swpl one and as such is outside of their control.

There's nothing on the SWPL postponements website about the Callington game being postponed. The posting at 12.12 is about the postponement of the Camelford game.

There's a copy of the FA directive regarding inspections on the SWPL postponements website which says "If after consultation with the match Referee, the ground is declared fit and the away Club instructed to travel, then only in exceptional circumstances should the match Referee reverse the decision."

My bad Argyle Fan. What level was the referee who inspected the pitch? I know the referee was a level 4 referee? Was he contacted? I was told he was and used the information to postpone the game. Any forecast for next week to see if the game will be off again?

And could the match be reversed if the game is postponed and played mid-week under lights at Falmouth?

My bad Argyle Fan. What level was the referee who inspected the pitch? I know the referee was a level 4 referee? Was he contacted? I was told he was and used the information to postpone the game. Any forecast for next week to see if the game will be off again?

And could the match be reversed if the game is postponed and played mid-week under lights at Falmouth?

You've totally missed the point here. The game was declared on after the 11am inspection - presumably in consultation with the match referee - only to be called off after the Falmouth people had travelled.

Surely the point of a morning inspection is to prevent teams travelling un-necessarily.

Otherwise why not just leave it to the match referee when he gets to the ground.

The point is and i was trying to make was this if the pitch was rock hard at 1.00 pm when the away team arrived , and the match ref, then it must have been in the same condition or worse at 11.00 as the temperature was a few degrees better at 1.00 pm than it was at 11.00 ! A mistake was made on the first inspection and Callington didnt want to go to Bickland, as it would quite clearly reduce any advantage they may have.... and hoped it would get better, but it didnt costing time and effort, and fuel bills....

Dont try and hide behind league rules just say we got it wrong ! sorry!

!) Yes, it would appear that the first inspection wasn't thorough enough

2) You can't really blame Callington for not wanting to go to Falmouth. They no doubt fancy their chances at home a lot more than at Bickland.

3) Once again, this is a CCFA competition - nothing to to with league regulations.