Cornwall Football Forum

Sad news!

Sad news. Another great so im told has gone. :(

I'm sure that all at St Blazey FC are saddened at the loss of such a true gentleman and extremely accomplished player in his day.Heartfelt condolences are extended to family and friends.Another giant of Cornish football goes to that stadium in the sky.

Very sad to hear that Viv has passed away. Always known to us as 'Foll' he was one of the finest players of his geraration. He was also a great guy to know. Apparantly he never won a Senior Cup Winners Medal despite playing in 6 finals. Something he always mentioned coupled with a rye grin. He played almost all his career for St.Blazey where he wore the green shirt with tremendous pride. 'Foll' also played a couple of seasons for a superb Torpoint Athletic side. The 1960's saw many of the finest players ever to play in post war cornish football and if the best eleven of the 60's were to be discussed and selections made 'Foll' would be in that side.

R.I.P.

Viv played for Newquay for three seasons signing from St. Austell in season 1958/59 and leaving for St. Blazey in 1961/62.

He played in the Newquay team that won the South Western League in 1959/60 alongside other familiar names,Ken Simler,Jack Huddy, Morley Ball, Ben Slater and Dave and Tony Pollard. Viv always retained a certain amount of affection for the Newquay Club and his smiling face was present at the club's Centenary Dinner in 1990 enjoying reminiscing with my late husband Brian.

A thoroughly nice man, condolences from the Newquay Club to all his family and friends.

Viv played for Newquay for three seasons signing from St. Austell in season 1958/59 and leaving for St. Blazey in 1961/62.

He played in the Newquay team that won the South Western League in 1959/60 alongside other familiar names,Ken Simler,Jack Huddy, Morley Ball, Ben Slater and Dave and Tony Pollard. Viv always retained a certain amount of affection for the Newquay Club and his smiling face was present at the club's Centenary Dinner in 1990 enjoying reminiscing with my late husband Brian.

A thoroughly nice man, condolences from the Newquay Club to all his family and friends.

Thanks for the post Sandra.

Have to admit that although you reminded me that he had played at St Austell, I didn't realise he had appeared for Newquay as well! Would he get much of a mention in your brilliant book about the Peppermints?

Viv made a big impression on me when, as a young boy, I use to go down and watch evening matches at St Blazey, under lights, but their lights before their present set. They use to switch them off so soon after the final whistle, that you were left struggling out of the ground in total darkness :)

I had the good fortune to talk to Viv on a couple of occasions in the recent years when he was always prepared to talk about his playing days and recall some great stories. It was just a shame I never got around to take him up on his offer of visiting him to see his cuttings and memorabilia etc.