Cornwall Football Forum

Torpoint Lose!

Result just in Poole Town 2-1 Torpoint Athletic

Carts opened the scoring after 3 minutes but Poole hit back with a Pen and a second goal in the first half. Sounded like ex Tamarside keeper Martin Piper had a fantastic game. Poole go through to the semi's.

Listening to Stuart Dudley on Radio Corwall - How gracious in defeat he was, no complaints, no moans just gave an excellent interview and finished off by thanking the travelling fans and all those who left good luck messages on his phone and the forum's - Top Man. Best of luck for the rest of the season Stu.

Guest Uncle Albert

Torpoint Athletic were a credit to their home town, to the Peninsula League, and to Cornish football today.

Poole are a very good side, especially strong at home, and for the majority of the first half they battered Torpoint.

But Stuart Dudley's squad somehow got to half-time only 2-1 behind and gave a good account of themselves in the second half.

Mike Roberts had an excellent chance to equalise eight minutes from time, but the chance to equalise only came about because of the top class goalkeeping of Martin Piper.

He had sewn up the man of the match award long before the end with his heroics, so it was a bit of a shock to hear Poole striker Dave Sturgess announced as the sponsors' man of the match. Sturgess wasn't even Poole's best player, never mind man of the match.

Well done to all at Torpoint.

Torpoint Athletic were a credit to their home town, to the Peninsula League, and to Cornish football today.

Poole are a very good side, especially strong at home, and for the majority of the first half they battered Torpoint.

But Stuart Dudley's squad somehow got to half-time only 2-1 behind and gave a good account of themselves in the second half.

Mike Roberts had an excellent chance to equalise eight minutes from time, but the chance to equalise only came about because of the top class goalkeeping of Martin Piper.

He had sewn up the man of the match award long before the end with his heroics, so it was a bit of a shock to hear Poole striker Dave Sturgess announced as the sponsors' man of the match. Sturgess wasn't even Poole's best player, never mind man of the match.

Well done to all at Torpoint.

The Man of the Match award is a sponsor's award for a Poole player and as I stood behind Martin Piper for the whole match, I can confer that this was the best performance by a keeper that I have seen this season. I can only think of a couple of shots from Poole that were not on target and most of the saves were the result of good positioning and anticipation. We have played much worse this season and scored many more.

At 2-1 especially with the possession and pressure from Poole many teams would (and have) folded but Torpoint played the full 90 minutes. They fully deserved the ovation from the travelling support at the end of the match.

Both teams tried to play football and it was one of the cleanest games I have seen for a while. A good referee, I know that because I did not notice him, let the game flow and maybe it was only our secret weapon, the size of the Tatnam pitch, that finally beat Torpoint.

As we suspected, Torpoint were not a Step 6 standard side but then SWPL is not really a Step 6 league.

My final question, if we agree that the best performance of the day was from Martin Piper, who did you think was Poole's best player?

The team did us proud and the above comments are spot on.

Obviously disapointed to lose a game of football, but no doubt the best team on the day won.

We had a good night as I told the players and supporters to celebrate what they had achieved.

two coaches of supporters had a stop off at Dorchester Town FC on the way back, and from what I am told there hospitality was excellent.

Team and officials headed straight back with all 3 coaches arriving at The Mill together and the Club was packed until midnight.

Well done Poole and best of luck in the semis.

In my opinion I thought Poole's No. 4 was their MOM

Thank you to the Dolphins fans that waited to applaud our team off the pitch

Out of everything now though. Would they swap places with Bodmin, Parkway, Buckland? I know i would

As someone who has been watching torpoint for the last 20 years+ and witnessed them winning all the cups and coming close to winning the league but finishing 2nd, all my fondest memories are of the vase games. There is nothing like an away trip in the vase and really seems to bring good spirit and the club together. Well done torpoint you did the town proud

Out of everything now though. Would they swap places with Bodmin, Parkway, Buckland? I know i would

As someone who has been watching torpoint for the last 20 years+ and witnessed them winning all the cups and coming close to winning the league but finishing 2nd, all my fondest memories are of the vase games. There is nothing like an away trip in the vase and really seems to bring good spirit and the club together. Well done torpoint you did the town proud

If you can bear to watch it, the QF Video is online at http://www.isstv.tv/video/660/poole-town-vs-torpoint-athletic-fa-vase-quarter-final