Cornwall Football Forum

Penzance v Bodmin - Senior Cup Semi Final

Who will be the first team to reach the senior cup final showpiece (rumoured to be being held at Hayle FC).

Bodmin must go into the game as favourites with their experience but I can only imagine Wayne Quinn and Penzance will fancy upsetting the odds. Surely if anyone player in the division can do it, it would be Wayne and his delivery from set pieces must give them every chance of winning a place in the showpiece finale!!!!

Hopefully the pitch at Newquay is fit for the semi final and the game is an entertaining one because the crowd might be small due to Arsenal vs Barcelona on the telly.

So predictions please.......who will get to the easter monday final?

Who will be the first team to reach the senior cup final showpiece (rumoured to be being held at Hayle FC).

Bodmin must go into the game as favourites with their experience but I can only imagine Wayne Quinn and Penzance will fancy upsetting the odds. Surely if anyone player in the division can do it, it would be Wayne and his delivery from set pieces must give them every chance of winning a place in the showpiece finale!!!!

Hopefully the pitch at Newquay is fit for the semi final and the game is an entertaining one because the crowd might be small due to Arsenal vs Barcelona on the telly.

So predictions please.......who will get to the easter monday final?

Its no rumour. All roads lead to Trevassack park on Easter Monday. Reffed on it yesterday, and it's by far the best surface around.

SALTASH UNITED v ST AUSTELL

Really looking forward to the match on Thursday eveing at Liskeard.

Still harbour bitter memories of the Senior Cup Final when St Austell beat Saltash United at Blaise Park, St Blazey. Will never forget the manner in which the game was handled by the referee and the loutish behaviour of some of the St Austell supporters, who had "smuggled" alcohol into the ground. Hopefully the game will not be marred by those scenes this week.

Rules Of The Senior Cup Competition

9. Glasses, glass bottles, or cans containing alcohol are NOT permitted outside of the

clubhouse and must not be brought into grounds. No alcohol is to be consumed in the

ground or premises during the match, except as may be governed by the terms of the

club licence with regards to its own members, but notwithstanding such, no alcohol is to

be taken or consumed outside the licensed clubhouse or any other authorised area during

such match period or brought into the ground.

I predict Bodmin St Austell final Bodmin progressing 3-0 via a replay. St Austell coming from behind to win 2-1.

whats Hayle like, any floodlights in case of poor weather? Easter and 16-00 kick off. Enough space for 4 teams and supporters?

I predict Bodmin St Austell final Bodmin progressing 3-0 via a replay. St Austell coming from behind to win 2-1.

whats Hayle like, any floodlights in case of poor weather? Easter and 16-00 kick off. Enough space for 4 teams and supporters?

4 Sets of Changing Rooms plus a very large changing room for all match officials. Parking for officials, players, etc. and a large field car park for spectators. Also a pitch next to the main pitch for warm ups. So unless the weather is majorly bad the floodlight issue shouldn't really matter as it is taking place so late in the year.

Given the manner in which Saltash United defeated Falmouth Town on Saturday, I predict a win for "the ashes" on Thursday. I'm sure "the ashes" players still remember the manner in which they lost the Seniour Cup Final against St Austell and will want to seek revenge.

There is no doubt the St Austell have a good group of players, but I still feel "the ashes" will be in the Cup Final.

May the best team win.

so if it's a Bodmin V Saltash final it will still be held at Hayle ??? doesn't make sense to me :huh:

Why not?

Surely you play your SHOW PIECE final on the BEST PITCH in the county.

If Liverpool played Man City in a cup final, you wouldn't just move it to Old Trafford for convenience.

Have just got in from watching this game at newquay

Please can the people whom are in charge of appointing the officals atleast appoint some who know what they are doing an absulate disgrace by all 3 officials (before you all shout i'm neither a bodmin fan or Penzance fan ).

Pitch looked good at Mount Wise crowd was small though ( arsenal barca didnt help ).

Good game of football on chances created Penzance will feel hard done by to have lost this game 1st hitting the bar at 0 0 Westgarth spurning a couple of glorious chances . the bloody ref decisions that were given aganist them which led to Bodmins 2nd goal (shit if i say so myself).

Penzance down to 10 men which you couldnt really notice as they played good passing football and kept creating chance after chance which went begging.

I do find it funny how bodmin players were being allowed to swear and question the ref and linesman without any actions but as soon as a penzance player questioned any of them bang yellow !!!!!! (i was stood within 6 yrds of the linesman when he flagged for the penzance number 3 to be booked for asking him to wake up lino ).

Well done Bodmin for making it to the senoir cup final again

Ps Lovely bacon baps at the ground washed down with a cup of tea UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM lovely

All in all a good game ruined by inadaquit officials (spell check not working )

Spot on really King Kenny 7.

It's a shame we have to comment on the officials, and in particular the man in the middle - Simon Robbins (if he was as per the programme), as much as on the match itself. However, the good thing was that pretty much overall, they were consistent for both sides!

I've witnessed a couple of games recently reffed by the same official, and although he tries to keep the game flowing, I felt he could have clamped down on the "vocals" early on, which surely would have meant less bickering by the players and more football for the crowd. No wonder many a neutral would have stayed home to watch the telly and see a foregone conclusion of the Arsenal departing from the Champions League.

It was always odds on that the game was going to witness a red card. Admittedly how the ref gave a free-kick against Chris Russell in the first place was a mystery, worsened by Bodmin scoring from the kick for their second goal of the tie. This course of events was enough for some of the players to step over the mark. Simon Stevens was the Magpies player to get the red card. Heaven knows what he must have said? Surely it couldn't have been worse than Wayne Quinn saying to the ref:"You're f....... rubbish" and more, and the Magpies skipper only got a yellow! He could well have gone as well.

As it was Penzance kept their game going, never dropping their heads, and who knows, perhaps if Stevens had stayed on, they might still be in the competition. I'm not saying the Bodmin players were saints, but because they never went behind in the game, they never had quite so much cause to moan!

Oh! What about the game itself! Yes, Thirkle cracked a powerful shot against the Bodmin bar early on, however put through on his own, could have done better. Bodmin's first also came from a free-kick (whoops, again harsh to be given), but the marking in the box was poor allowing Tom Chambers to open the scoring. Kevin Miller made a great blocking save just before the break, but couldn't prevent Gerens James equalising early in the second-half. And just when it looked as if there was no way back for the ten man Penzance, Matt Shiels made it 2-2 well into stoppage time after Miller couldn't hold onto an Andy Westgarth well struck shot from distance.

Extra-time saw such an early goal from Bodmin's Steve Colwell, who did well to turn and find the roof of the Penzance net, meaning Penzance never had time to enjoy their late escape in the "90 minutes". Although Westy had a great chance of levelling in almost the next attack by Penzance!

Final word on the Jamie Devine yellow card - well yes petty I know, but why should an assistant referee put up with so much disrespect! A spectator just along from me said "but he didn't swear at him!". So what, it didn't matter, by then the official had put up with enough!

I felt he could have clamped down on the "vocals" early on, which surely would have meant less bickering by the players and more football for the crowd.

Or, put another way, if the players had not started the 'vocals' and the 'bickering' in the first place no clamping down would have been necessary! :huh:

SALTASH UNITED v ST AUSTELL

Really looking forward to the match on Thursday eveing at Liskeard.

Still harbour bitter memories of the Senior Cup Final when St Austell beat Saltash United at Blaise Park, St Blazey. Will never forget the manner in which the game was handled by the referee and the loutish behaviour of some of the St Austell supporters, who had "smuggled" alcohol into the ground. Hopefully the game will not be marred by those scenes this week.

Loutish behaviour? Don't be jealous of a well supported team!

Not quite the final word on the Jamie Devine yellow card Dave! His comment was made following the Linesman making 3 totally incorrect decisions in a short period of time - awarding a corner to Bodmin, which was clearly a goal kick, followed by wrongly giving two throw-ins to Bodmin, neither of which were remotely close to being debatable decisions. Many people heard what Jamie is correctly quoted by King Kenny as saying to the linesman - unfortunately, it seems, the linesman reported a "more colourful" comment to the referee!

While I would never condone abusive comments to match officials, I can fully understand the frustration felt by players when confronted with a series of decisions which seem to go against the team and which have a telling impact upon the result of the game. In my eyes, Penzance created and scored 2 goals in normal time and should have won the game 2 - nil, with 11 players still on the pitch! We should have coped better with defending the two highly debatable free kicks from which Bodmin scored their goals but those key decisions eventually cost us the game and gifted Bodmin a place in the Easter Monday Final. I was totally gutted at the the end and couldn't face shaking hands with the referees - which is a very rare occurrence for me: I feel no better this morning!

Not quite the final word on the Jamie Devine yellow card Dave! His comment was made following the Linesman making 3 totally incorrect decisions in a short period of time - awarding a corner to Bodmin, which was clearly a goal kick, followed by wrongly giving two throw-ins to Bodmin, neither of which were remotely close to being debatable decisions. Many people heard what Jamie is correctly quoted by King Kenny as saying to the linesman - unfortunately, it seems, the linesman reported a "more colourful" comment to the referee!

While I would never condone abusive comments to match officials, I can fully understand the frustration felt by players when confronted with a series of decisions which seem to go against the team and which have a telling impact upon the result of the game. In my eyes, Penzance created and scored 2 goals in normal time and should have won the game 2 - nil, with 11 players still on the pitch! We should have coped better with defending the two highly debatable free kicks from which Bodmin scored their goals but those key decisions eventually cost us the game and gifted Bodmin a place in the Easter Monday Final. I was totally gutted at the the end and couldn't face shaking hands with the referees - which is a very rare occurrence for me: I feel no better this morning!

You're quite right John. Jamie didn't swear and the officials were poor, with mistakes from all three, throughout the match.

However, on this occasion the assistant felt he had taken more than was appropriate.

line ups?

Taken from elsewhere on the Internet, but I've amended Penzance line-up to what I think it actually was :

Penzance: D Burrows; M Laity, J Devine, J Thirkle, C Russell, D Magee, S. Stevens, W Quinn (capt), G James, M Shiels, N Pugliese.

Subs: A Westgarth (for James 79); P Willey (for Devine 85); B Wills (for Magee 104).

Scorers: James 59; Shiels 90+2.

Booked: Devine (56); Russell (63); Quinn (64).

Sent off: Stevens (64) – dissent.

Bodmin Town: K Miller; L Reed, H Morgan, T Chambers, S Simmonds (capt), C Swiggs, S Colwell, S Matthews, D O’Hagan, C Luxton, M Berry.

Subs: J Bartlett (for Berry 79); O Brokenshire (for Reed 85); L Hodge (for Luxton 106); D Gilbert (not used).

Scorers: Chambers 19; Matthews 63; Colwell 92.

I was at the game last night, as for the first booking, that was a joke. The player did not swear at the lino and you could not say he was aggresive either, i also don't think the officals where up to the task of junior football let alone mens football. This was by far and away the worst display by officals that i have seen, for both side's on the night. The sending off was the players own fault really, he got booked for desent yet continued to keep having ago at the ref, so what happened next? yeap he gets booked for the same thing straight away again.

As for the game its self it was scrappy with most of the clear cut chances going to penzance and bodmin being more clinical in front of goal as the score line shows

Unlucky to Penzance,

Carrying on with the harsh booking to Jamie Devine.

Ive had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times off the pitch . a quiet fella acutally , and If that lad could control his temper on the pitch he wont be at penzance much longer , one of the best at the useful long ball down the line ive ever seen