Cornwall Football Forum

St.Austell vs Saltash

St.Austell are struggling with injuries for tomorrows cup game against Saltash, Gary Wheildon out (Calf), Dan Nancarrow (50/50 ankle), Lee Whetter (Calf), Garry Penhaligon (Back). Unable to sign any other keeper that is not cup-tied or played in the Junior Cup, deadline was 1st march.

Just hope some of these pass the fittnes test.

St.Austell are struggling with injuries for tomorrows cup game against Saltash, Gary Wheildon out (Calf), Dan Nancarrow (50/50 ankle), Lee Whetter (Calf), Garry Penhaligon (Back). Unable to sign any other keeper that is not cup-tied or played in the Junior Cup, deadline was 1st march.

Just hope some of these pass the fittnes test.

Well it's not ideal but I'm sure the 11 that take to the field will give it there all. Will be a cracking game whatever happens. See you there.

Wazza

Don't think it's excuses being made before the game is played - it's a forum after all and interesting to hear news/views etc before and after matches.

That being said, it's a shame if we don't have a full squad but there is nothing that can be done except go out and do the business :clapper: . On our day we're capable of beating the best so really looking forward to it tonight.....really fancy another Easter Monday day out - even if it is at Hayle! :o

From Twitter:

St.A 1-0 Saltash Utd HT

about 1 hour ago via Twitter for iPhone

Street on for Whieldon

39 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

AFC St.A 1-1 Saltash Utd Pen

28 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

AFC St.A 2-1 Saltash Utd Namcarrow

13 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

AFC St A Pen

8 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

AFC St.A 3-1 Saltash Utd Whetter Pen

7 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

From Twitter:

St.A 1-0 Saltash Utd HT

about 1 hour ago via Twitter for iPhone

Street on for Whieldon

39 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

AFC St.A 1-1 Saltash Utd Pen

28 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

AFC St.A 2-1 Saltash Utd Namcarrow

13 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

AFC St A Pen

8 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

AFC St.A 3-1 Saltash Utd Whetter Pen

7 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

Is that the final score?

Guest Uncle Albert

St Austell were worthy winners. Saltash were very poor, and got their tactics horribly wrong.

St Austell had a full back, Jay Hill, playing in goal because Garry Penhaligon was injured, and in the first half Saltash didnt have a shot on goal, therefore Hill was not even tested.

Hill was called upon once or twice in the second half, but not to stop any shots. Didn't understand Saltash's thinking at all.

Have come away from Lux Park very disappointed tonight, but give St Austell credit, they do fight for every ball and look very fit. Not sure playing with one foward worked tonight, as I feel Hughes and Thorne would have troubled the St Austell defence to a greater extent.

Saltash lack a leader on the field, they have done all season.

Was very surprised the Referee told one of the players to F**K Off during the second half. Is this the way to improve the "Respect Campaign"?

At this present time, I am embarrassed to be a Saltash fan. 2 shots on a goal protected by a defender ( one of them being a penalty). St Austell wanted it more, were stronger and just generally better.

The ref was absolutely shocking. Waving cards all over the place for little things, and showing nothing for bad challenges ( for both sides). He was totally lost

I take nothing away from st austell though. Well done and good luck in the final.

I think I'll save the 4 quid I was gonna spend watching the ashes play Parkway On Saturday!!!!

At this present time, I am embarrassed to be a Saltash fan. 2 shots on a goal protected by a defender ( one of them being a penalty). St Austell wanted it more, were stronger and just generally better.

The ref was absolutely shocking. Waving cards all over the place for little things, and showing nothing for bad challenges ( for both sides). He was totally lost

I take nothing away from st austell though. Well done and good luck in the final.

I think I'll save the 4 quid I was gonna spend watching the ashes play Parkway On Saturday!!!!

Ah, it will get to two and you won't be able to resist, it's a new game. Would you prefer to sit through a game and see the outcome even if they lost or miss it and miss a good result?

On the night St Austell seem to want it a lot more than Saltash!

Did anyone clock the number of yellow cards produced by referee Steve Annis?

Fantastic result for St Austell. Each and every player gave it everything and credit to the coaching staff, committee & fantastic supporters.

Saltash took the defeat in a good manner so fair play. Should be a cracking final!

Up the Lillywhites!!!

My sentiments exactly TimmyRaa, a total embarrassment.

I have to be totally honest and admit, I didn't realise the St Austell Goalkeeper is normally a DEFENDER. Wasn't until I read comments on here, did I find they were unable to field any recognised goalkeeper.

Take nothing away from St Austell, thet full deserved the victory and good luck to them in the final

Saltash United Chairman Kevin Doddridge looked fuming after the game and confronted Manager Hendy. But Who can blame Doddridge, this season has been a total disappointment.

The team still contains the majority of the squad assembled by the late Timmy Alford, yet the quality and fitness is a shadow of how it use to be.

There are players in the Saltash United squad who have flattered to deceive in recent seasons and they have failed Manager Hendy.

All very fair comments on the match. St.Austell were the better team and Saltash rarely troubled Jay Hill in goal who looked as nervous as a kitten - no wonder though, top marks to him for being brave enough to stand in at the last minute.

Great finishes from Slates & Nanks and a terrific hard working performance from everyone inc all the subs.

Really looking forward to Easter Monday and being part of a large St.Austell contingent decending upon Hayle. :yahoo:

Perhaps better as a new thread but why is the final at Hayle? I've heard the arguments about the playing surface and 2 sets of changing rooms and I have absolutely nothing against Hayle but I have to say the decision mystifies me. There are far superior venues to hold THE cup final of the season. It's the CCFAs show piece day and should be at an appropriate venue. Give Hayle the Charity Cup final maybe but not the Senior Cup.

Nobody can tell me they couldn't wait until last night and then see who's in the final before making a decision...there's over 6 weeks to go. Logic tells you St.Blazey would be the venue or maybe Wadebridge/Newquay/Liskeard...any of these would undoubtadly produce a much better crowd. However, decision made I suppose but I can't help thinking it's bonkers!

Tony It doesn’t matter where the final is staged in my opinion.... The club is already in talks to charter a train to Hayle on Easter Monday and failing that Roselyn Coaches of Par have offered the club the opportunity to use up too 5 Coaches for the trip.

I will keep all fans posted on what the final arrangements will be. But for absolute certain we will have a very large crowd going to see the game.

This is another massive achievement by the club and the a big thank you from myself for all the hard work put in by the players, committee and fans including our amazing second team lads who are with out doubt the best bunch of supporters you could ask for.

The turn around at St Austell over the last 3 years is without doubt one of the proudest things that I have ever been apart of. Still lots more too do of the pitch but given the continued success of the 1st and 2nd team and now the emergence of a successful u12s team joining us next season it makes the committees task of bringing in additional revenue alot easier.

Thank you to all and let’s see if we can beat Bodmin in the final.....

Kind Regards

Money Man

Tony It doesn’t matter where the final is staged in my opinion.... The club is already in talks to charter a train to Hayle on Easter Monday and failing that Roselyn Coaches of Par have offered the club the opportunity to use up too 5 Coaches for the trip.

I will keep all fans posted on what the final arrangements will be. But for absolute certain we will have a very large crowd going to see the game.

This is another massive achievement by the club and the a big thank you from myself for all the hard work put in by the players, committee and fans including our amazing second team lads who are with out doubt the best bunch of supporters you could ask for.

The turn around at St Austell over the last 3 years is without doubt one of the proudest things that I have ever been apart of. Still lots more too do of the pitch but given the continued success of the 1st and 2nd team and now the emergence of a successful u12s team joining us next season it makes the committees task of bringing in additional revenue alot easier.

Thank you to all and let’s see if we can beat Bodmin in the final.....

Kind Regards

Money Man

You might find that the crowd is even bigger than expected, as a lot from the west will proberly go as they don't have to travel the customery 1 hour to get too mid cornwall.

parking is also not an issue as it could be at the other grounds mentioned.

i think some people could be in for a big suprise with the set up at hayle ,and it makes achange for west cornwall to stage major finals, and as always the pitch will be brilliant with all the work greg does on them,and with bella and john there will be awarm welcome at the club ,so we look forward to see all fans of both teams and all other football fans on easter mon .so perhaps one or two who dont fancy the trip give it ago

and come down the a 30 to see us .

Just a shame that penzance could,nt make it,would have been a lot larger crowd if they had beaten bodmin. Anyway i look forward to seeing some old friends when town descend upon our popular seaside resort :drink:

Just hope Whetts behaves himself and brings his old man with him (could do with a good laugh at the moment).Got a strange feeling that he might get the winning goal again which would be quite ironic as he could,nt score when he played for hayle :lol:

A warm welcome and a superb playing surface we be given to both teams and i look forward to a competitive cup final and congrats to both clubs :c:

Great performance last night from all the lads. They all showed great team spirit and did the travelling Suppporters from St Austell proud. Roll on Easter Monday. And in response to the youth team question asked. St Austell are not looking to start a complete youth set up they are simply giving a current under 12's team in the town the backing and support that they are currently not receiving from their club. AFC St Austell were approached as to what their opinion was on having one youth team playing under the clubs name and of course the club were more than happy to oblige and to think that our turn in fortune over the last three seasons has not gone unnoticed and got young footballers within the local area wanting to come and play football at Poltair Park. So please feel free to ignore any rumours doing the usual rounds that AFC St Austell have been involved in any wrong doing in offering young talented footballers the oppertunity and a place to play the game we all know and love. Hope this saves you a job Money Man :)

Post was not added under that thought at all.being heavily involved in local youth football and obviously from my username not with one of the clubs mentioned,i was interested in the post.As you mentioned St austell has moved forward and changed a lot in the last couple of years,and with all the rumours flying around it is of interest.Most users may not know that there are about 600 kids regulary playing(in leagues)local to St Austell,through Charlestown,Tregorrick,Biscovey and St Stephens.They are the future of our local mens clubs and St austell becoming involved can only be a good thing for the game,and for St Austell.Elsewhere "locally" their is no interest and it is showing in the amount of non-local players playing in the first team.Due to the times we are in,senior clubs in the future are going to be more dependant on local talent.If they get involved earlier the youth clubs can act as a feeder,but it has been missing for a long time.can only be a good thing in the long run.

Well done to St Austell, they worked hard all evening and deserved to beat a Saltash team who gave me the impression that they just needed to turn up to get to the final.

I heard a good bit of coaching from the St Austell bench in the first half when Carlton Farnham's marker was agressively bellowed at "next time he gets the ball, go right through him, right through him".

Can't see you beating Bodmin but good luck anyway in the final St Austell, hopefully this year the CCFA will be competent enough amongst other things to prevent all the drunken St Austell "fans" from running onto the pitch and around the goalmouth as well as throwing their empty beer cans at the opposing keeper.

Hoofer. dont want to go over old ground but that incident had nothing to do with st austell supporters. It happened during the junior cup final between St Dennis and Falmouth. I know this as I was stood right next to the stand when it happened.

Might want to get your facts straight before making false accusations against the excellent St Austell supporters.

Obviously you are still bitter about this game but maybe its time to move on as it was 2 years ago. I also watched both games and did not see any beer cans thrown during senior cup final. I dont usually bother to respond to some of the rubbish written on here by people hiding behind false names but feel it is necessary when people make false accusations.

Obviously you are still bitter about this game but maybe its time to move on as it was 2 years ago. I also watched both games and did not see any beer cans thrown during senior cup final. I dont usually bother to respond to some of the rubbish written on here by people hiding behind false names but feel it is necessary when people make false accusations.

Sorry Neil, but your statement is completely wrong, there were a large number of St Austell supporter under the influence of beer and wine at the match. I witnessed loutish behaviour, that I can honestly say, I have never seen at a senior Cup Final before.

I am not accusing all St Austell supporters of drunken behaviour, but as always, a minority spoil it for the majority.

From what I have heard the way bodmin have been playing latley I expect an 'intresting' match for the final, I do fancy our chances of winning. Ollie Brokes is bodmins most crative player, if he is unable to play that will greatly increase our chances of winning the cup. Although I do not want to offend anyone by saying I personaly think we may win due to certain factors. B)