Cornwall Football Forum

Holsworthy 5 Foxhole 0

Holsworthy 5 Foxhole 0

Wednesday 13th April 2011

This was not as close as the scoreline suggests, as woeful Foxhole were completely outclassed by the rampant Magpies, yet again being made to pay for their failure to field something approaching their best team, the heroic display of just last week suddenly seeming years since. Missing Griffin, Rescorl and Spaul, with Ralph fit only for the bench, and with far too many who were available simply not at the races, the dismal Foxes embarrassingly failed to force diminutive stand-in keeper Chidley to make a single save, and struggled throughout to match the home team's committed approach, or to contain excellent lone frontman Morgan or, indeed, marauding widemen Banks and James Dart, while veteran centre-half Rowe can rarely have enjoyed an easier game throughout his long career.

Such was the Magpies' dominance that it is doubtful whether the outcome would have been any different even had Trudgian been able to punish Chidley's weak goal-kick on six minutes, or had unlikely forward Kenny's twenty yard effort four minutes later crept inside the upright. But the Foxes were not to threaten again throughout the remaining eighty minutes and looked a beaten side as soon as Morgan latched on to O'Donoghue's offside-trap piercing through ball to finish with aplomb on nineteen minutes. Banks nearly made it two when, after nutmegging Cutlan, his curling effort from the left was brilliantly tipped over, before a cross by the same player from a similar position landed atop the cross bar. By then, in the first of several unconvincing and ineffective tactical alterations, Foxhole had switched to what was ostensibly 4-4-2, but the question of precisely who was marking who remained tantalisingly unanswered. At least the remarkably casual referee was enjoying himself, his commendable laissez faire approach meaning that the first free-kick was not awarded until the thirty-sixth minute, followed two minutes later by the inevitable second goal, Morgan cleverly converting a centre from Dart.

Ralph's introduction at half-time allowed Holland to push forward in support of the isolated Trudgian, a gamble perhaps worth taking in the circumstances, but the change backfired catastrophically, the Foxes' best defender forced to watch aghast from sixty yards away as Holsworthy banged in three more goals. First, on fifty-five, Rickard's inswinging corner found the net off the back of home captain Liam Dart, swiftly followed two minutes later by Banks' effort which caught out Ryan Holland at the near post, before substitute Lee scored with virtually his first touch from an unselfish assist by Rickard. With twenty-four minutes still to play, an annihilation was distinctly possible, but the withdrawal of Rowe, Rickard and especially Morgan undoubtedly helped the visitors to keep the score down, although Holland had to move smartly to his left both to save Banks' deflected drive from the edge of the box and Lee's close-range shot near the end. Clarke's poor challenge on Adam Holland, which resulted in the game's only caution, raised fears of a broken nose as the blood gushed out, but his rapid reappearance at least ensured no further bad news to round off an ill-fated evening when virtually everything else had gone disastrously pear shaped.

Foxhole (3-5-2): Ryan Holland; Adam Holland, Daniel Allen, Matt May; CJ Bird, James Cutlan (sub. Bradley Ralph), Pete May (sub. Chris Allen), Brandon Tregidgo, Michael Kempthorne; Sam Kenny (sub. Joe Egan), Adam Trudgian.

Holsworthy (4-4-2): Dean Chidley; John O'Donoghue, Matt Carroll, Ian Rowe (sub. Ryan Davies), Craig Allen; James Dart, Paul Banks, Liam Dart, Mitch Cisneros; Stuart Rickard (sub. Lee Clarke), Lee Morgan (sub. Ryan Lee).

Referee: Mr Simon Robins (Callington).

Fair assessment of the game I think Morsey. We were completely out battled and out played last night and Holsworthy thoroughly deserved their victory.

I just wanted to comment on the facial injury I received near the end of the game. After being in the game for quite a time now, I can honestly say I was intentionally head butted last night when one of their players ‘challenged’ for the ball. It was so late and blatantly showing no attempt for the ball that I was actually surprised the player didn’t see red. Instead the referee felt it necessary to comment to two Holsworthy players, within earshot, that ‘it wasn’t that bad’ as I lay on the floor, nose gushing with blood. After receiving treatment and playing the last ten minutes, with packaging up my still bleeding nose, I did not receive an apology from the player in question, nor did anyone else from Holsworthy feel any need to show the slightest concern to even politely ask if I was ok. Fair enough, I don’t need to be mollycoddled, I’m a big boy. However, I was disgusted when leaving the pitch I heard one of the fans gleefully saying to the player in question ‘you nearly broke his nose’ with the player acting fairly proud of his ‘achievement’. After making the hour plus journey home I was then in Trelsiske hospital, with my brother, until 1am as my nose wouldn’t stop bleeding. Thankfully they don’t think it is broken.

This whole incident has left a sour taste and a large blemish on my first visit to Holsworthy’s ground, whose background staff were more than hospitable and the club in general seems friendly and well run. It’s a shame that they appear to have been let down by select few last night.

Fair assessment of the game I think Morsey. We were completely out battled and out played last night and Holsworthy thoroughly deserved their victory.

I just wanted to comment on the facial injury I received near the end of the game. After being in the game for quite a time now, I can honestly say I was intentionally head butted last night when one of their players ‘challenged’ for the ball. It was so late and blatantly showing no attempt for the ball that I was actually surprised the player didn’t see red. Instead the referee felt it necessary to comment to two Holsworthy players, within earshot, that ‘it wasn’t that bad’ as I lay on the floor, nose gushing with blood. After receiving treatment and playing the last ten minutes, with packaging up my still bleeding nose, I did not receive an apology from the player in question, nor did anyone else from Holsworthy feel any need to show the slightest concern to even politely ask if I was ok. Fair enough, I don’t need to be mollycoddled, I’m a big boy. However, I was disgusted when leaving the pitch I heard one of the fans gleefully saying to the player in question ‘you nearly broke his nose’ with the player acting fairly proud of his ‘achievement’. After making the hour plus journey home I was then in Trelsiske hospital, with my brother, until 1am as my nose wouldn’t stop bleeding. Thankfully they don’t think it is broken.

This whole incident has left a sour taste and a large blemish on my first visit to Holsworthy’s ground, whose background staff were more than hospitable and the club in general seems friendly and well run. It’s a shame that they appear to have been let down by select few last night.

Who was the player ? I'm sure that Ian Rowe would love to deal with him personally as the Ref appears not to have done. Having known Rower for far too many years, he likes to play hard but fair and I'm sure he has carried this on as Player/Manager. He certainly wouldn't want his players to go OTT.

We also have to go to Holsy on Saturday !!!