Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay boss Jim Hilton is stepping down

Confirmation has been given by Jim that at the end of the season he will be stepping down at Mount Wise.

He's done it for four seasons now and that's probably enough for anyone these days!

Ex Peppermints boss from years ago, and one of the most successful Cornish club managers ever, Trevor Mewton, is suggested to be returning in a "general manager" type of role

What's wrong with offering the job to Andy Bicknall, the Reserve team manager.

I said Mr Mewton was going to take over last week when Penzance Reserves were up there and got slapped down for being wrong.

Looking at the photos of the Newquay v Godolphin match in one of them there are more people queueing for a drink at the t-hut than could be bothered to come out and watch Newquay Reserves play at home in recent games!

Are Newquay supporters becoming like Truro supporters, "Fairweather Fans".

ive heard andy dingle has been offered the job n is seriously thinkin bout taking it on wiv lee whetter n ben douglas being his major signings 4 the next season!!!!!!!!!!

:clapper:

Common knowledge at Mount Wise for weeks that Mewton will be general manager and appointing his own man for the 1st XI. Jim may still take on the Combo side so he can progress his youngsters naturally.

Gentleman Jim is one of the most respected in Cornish football, things haven't gone to plan this season, but he will be a tough act to follow. I hope that he and Tina take a nice long rest over the summer and come back to Mount Wise in July refreshed.

In the meantime, Jim has Okehampton and Godolphin away to prepare for, be good to end the season with three wins.

I would like to personally thank Jim for his dedication to Newquay AFC,during my time as club house secretary Jim always supported all the activities in the clubhouse and encouraged the players to participate in them.

I wish Jim all the best in what ever role he decides in the future.

As for who,s coming or going in the previous posts,this is pure speculation as nothing has been decided as yet, and will be discussed by the committee in the very near future.

There isn't a nicer person in the game. Had the pleasure of working with Jim at Newquay 1st team and with our terrific u16 side last season. He is without doubt the most dedicated man I have ever known in the game lives sleeps and dreams the game. Tina has a heart of gold to put up with him shes a gem as as well.

Im sure if and probably when he takes over the combo side the youngsters that play for him will be top drawer as always speak to you soon Jimbo your a LEG-END mate.

Love as always

WINNO & FAMILY

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Jim has achieved a huge amount in his time at Newquay Football Club and long may it continue, regardless of the capacity which Jim decides to offer his support. I am sure a number of talented young players (and the odd older one like Andy Morris on Friday!) will flourish with Jim's encouragement.

I think it is safe to say that the first team is a lot further forward than when Jim took on the role four years ago and it is a shame that the momentum couldn't have been sustained this season after a very promising start. Congratulations to Jim for bringing some silverware back to Mount Wise and good luck to whoever is appointed to deliver the role next season.

Well done jim for doing a good job on limited funds and for beating godolphin yesterday .The game at mt wise and very scrappy especially the 1st half in which the g dominated but the 2nd half newquay really played well and deserved to win in the end its a pity they didnt battle like that in some of there other games but next season will be different especially if trevor mewton takes over he brings sucess wherever he goes i would like to see chris morris take over but he has no management experiance,but he could be trevors assistant.Sorry to see you go jim but its been on the cards for a long time now you lost your best players especialy chris luxton to bodmin.