Cornwall Football Forum

Trevor Mewton - It's official

Martin Burgess has had a super season with vospers, why not give him a chance at a bigger club

Would he want to manage a club at Newquay, whereas I assume he is Plymouth based? In fact, Newquay might want a local based manager too!

Haylemed's question about the definition of Trevor's role at Newquay has not been answered as yet so it is pure speculation as to whether he will be a manager,oversee the whole club or a combination of the two.

As we all know a number of players usually move from club to club (for whatever reason) so IF a manager from Plymouth were to be appointed (and that's a big IF),then expect him to bring his own tried and trusted players with him.With Vospers in the same league as Newquay,i don't see this as the way forward personally as the club will be looking improve their playing strength and to move into a higher league not stay where they are now.

Would he want to manage a club at Newquay, whereas I assume he is Plymouth based? In fact, Newquay might want a local based manager too!

You raise a good point, I think it hard to manage a club so far from where you live. Dane Bunney up Ottery seems to be a prime example of this. After a promising start they have faded away. Is he staying with ottery next season??

I do think though in regards Burgess, Vospers will only ever be a stepping stone club for any manager and i believe Burgess maybe is a shout to move onto a bigger club this summer.

Martin Burgess , Darren Evans and Dane Bunney are all young managers. ( all plymouth based )

Martin Burgess has had a super season with vospers, why not give him a chance at a bigger club

Agree Martin Burgess has done exceptionally well at vospers. Darren Evans at Plymstock has also shown good promise bringing in players and moving up the table. Both I am sure will move up the managerial ladder. Dane Bunney is hard working and obviously willing to travel, just not sure he has proved himself as a manager yet. Last season wasn't great with Millbrook and the league table isn't looking great for Ottery.

Martin Burgess , Darren Evans and Dane Bunney are all young managers. ( all plymouth based )

Agree Martin Burgess has done exceptionally well at vospers. Darren Evans at Plymstock has also shown good promise bringing in players and moving up the table. Both I am sure will move up the managerial ladder. Dane Bunney is hard working and obviously willing to travel, just not sure he has proved himself as a manager yet. Last season wasn't great with Millbrook and the league table isn't looking great for Ottery.

Fully agree, i feel burgess is ahead of the other two. but all 3 are young managers and learning there trade, ive seen vospers play a few times this season and they play a very efficient style of football. Plymstock are more no nonsense and ottery i cant comment on as there so far away.

One thing id say in your comments about bunneys record, Millbrook he held the side together when the pulled out of the league and took over when they had no players , and looking at the records ottery have come bottom and second bottom in the last 2 seasons , so he has gone in there and improved things.

Evans has made the step up from east cornwall football in tricky circumstances last summer when micky hunt walked out on the club and has done well with the players he has got.

However I have to question the standard of the west league this season both vospers and plymstock struggled over the last few years with very similar squads , then this season they both punching near the top.

Havent got a clue about the east , Can anyone else comment on the standard in the east ??

Fully agree, i feel burgess is ahead of the other two. but all 3 are young managers and learning there trade, ive seen vospers play a few times this season and they play a very efficient style of football. Plymstock are more no nonsense and ottery i cant comment on as there so far away.

One thing id say in your comments about bunneys record, Millbrook he held the side together when the pulled out of the league and took over when they had no players , and looking at the records ottery have come bottom and second bottom in the last 2 seasons , so he has gone in there and improved things.

Evans has made the step up from east cornwall football in tricky circumstances last summer when micky hunt walked out on the club and has done well with the players he has got.

However I have to question the standard of the west league this season both vospers and plymstock struggled over the last few years with very similar squads , then this season they both punching near the top.

Havent got a clue about the east , Can anyone else comment on the standard in the east ??

I dont think Peninsula premier is that strong, i saw Camelford draw 3.3 with Ivybridge in the cup, beat Bovey 3.0,and lose to St Austell 3.0 in which Camels had 4 first choice players out.Last season they beat Torpoint and Wadebridge and got to senior cup final losing 3.1 to Bodmin again with key players missing.

Trevor Newton will do a good job at Newquay. next year has got to be there year tho, they can't carry on playing west football! A big club like newquay need to be playing prem football ASAP

Fergie, your knowledge for local football is good, who do you play for?

East div football is like the west very poor standard, however, prem football is very good

Will it be Trevor mewtons job to appoint the new manager. If so could we see glyn hooper leaving troubled blazey team up with his mate??

On side note to just tie in with where this conversation has been going , I was out in Plymouth last night and I was told that Bunney is about to walk away from Ottery after a large amount of investment was turned down by his club.

So a return to Cornish football could be on for the young man.

Beckham I don't play anymore I'm afraid. I just support the local teams and my son who plays for donwalls

Same old faces in Cornish football, cant help feeling SWPL in Cornwall needs some young managers with new ideas to challenge for league and FA vase.

these "same old faces" hoppit tend 2 b the ones wiv the money...........

Could'nt agree more goosefish these so called good managers only go to clubs with money, even then they have no ambition to push on up the pyramid, afraid of the tougher challenges ahead i guess. Having said that even at the highest level would Jose Mourhino be the special one at Blackpool? i don' think so.

Same old faces in Cornish football, cant help feeling SWPL in Cornwall needs some young managers with new ideas to challenge for league and FA vase.

Could'nt agree more goosefish these so called good managers only go to clubs with money, even then they have no ambition to push on up the pyramid, afraid of the tougher challenges ahead i guess. Having said that even at the highest level would Jose Mourhino be the special one at Blackpool? i don' think so.

Dane 'hoppit' Bunney will have a fight on his hands to get to Wadebridge, they offered the job to Derek Martin weeks ago and with a budget. Newquay will let Mewton decide on who is the best option, obviously bearing in mind the lack of money at Mount Wise, anyone who wants to be manager should bring plenty of cash with him.

Dane 'hoppit' Bunney will have a fight on his hands to get to Wadebridge, they offered the job to Derek Martin weeks ago and with a budget. Newquay will let Mewton decide on who is the best option, obviously bearing in mind the lack of money at Mount Wise, anyone who wants to be manager should bring plenty of cash with him.

Don't know who Dane Bunney is Nemisis but it sure aint me,don't know anything about rabbits.

Don't know who Dane Bunney is Nemisis but it sure aint me,don't know anything about rabbits.

Manager of Ottery St. Mary, but based in plymouth