Cornwall Football Forum

Budleigh Salterton - the plot thickens

Seems that Budleigh are trying to win the prize for fairy tale of the year award...

http://www.swpleague.co.uk/swpforum/viewtopic.php?t=3225

From the Peninsula League website - another load of old pony from Budleigh:

"just a quick response to Dave Fisher,Paul Allen, North Devon Dweller and Muzzy , the application was made to go up if we met the criteria { 2nd place } this had to be applied in time but as a club the decision would be made if and when we made 2nd place!!!! We have done this by rights and lack of ambition does not come into it. Our main sponsor has pulled out and the club feel that additional costs of travel, officials etc would put us under a lot of pressure with the costs. As to humiliating the League "2nd place and 3 cup Finals to play COME ON THE ROBINS

You lot want to see the bigger picture

Other clubs have had to start again after pushing the limits, and crashed and burned we will not be one of them!! GREAT SEASON LADS"

There is one vital flaw in this - their letter withdrawing their application for promotion was sent on Thursday but they did not secure second place until Saturday.

You really need to get your story straight guys!!

Increased travelling costs cannot be a reason at this level when all the clubs are in Cornwall and Devon.

If the club wanted to win the kind of respect that forward thinking clubs like Bovey and Witheridge have by going up, they would.

This decision backfired last time and I'm sure the same will happen, possibly even worse.

Expulsion from the league seems the only appropriate punishment.

It could of been worse. Imagine if Newquay finished 3rd and the neither club above wanted promotion!

I can see a few rule changes proposed at the AGM:

1. The top club finshing 1st, second or third in the East / West division is eligble for promotion

2. Prize money will be only awarded subject to accepting promotion if finishing in a promotion position

Increased travelling costs cannot be a reason at this level when all the clubs are in Cornwall and Devon.

If the club wanted to win the kind of respect that forward thinking clubs like Bovey and Witheridge have by going up, they would.

This decision backfired last time and I'm sure the same will happen, possibly even worse.

Seem to remember St Blazey won the South Western league lots of times a few years back did'nt see too much ambition to push on,the players were good enough and must have had the finance. So why.

Seem to remember St Blazey won the South Western league lots of times a few years back did'nt see too much ambition to push on,the players were good enough and must have had the finance. So why.

Yes, totally the wrong decision for us and we're now paying the price. We could and should be playing at a much higher level now.

Yes, totally the wrong decision for us and we're now paying the price. We could and should be playing at a much higher level now.

Well said Dan, i beleive that to be the best you must beat the best. Better to try and fail ,than regret not trying.Still a great club tho.

If you are all on here having a go at Budleigh not taking automatic promotion then you must also have a go at the teams who have not taken promotion from the Premier Division since the league was formed, Bodmin and Buckland.

Some complain that the league is stagnating but what was their excuse. Lack of money, travelling, so why can Budleigh have the same? An average crowd at Budleigh of 55 is not enough to sustain a Premier Div team especially in this day and age.

All clubs are suffering. No matter what division or league. It's better to live within your means than putting your club in financial trouble. One solution is to increase admission prices but that might drive some spectators away.

I've said it before and I'll say it again 'till you all stop and think, clubs are all living above their means and in the next 3-4 years we will see a contraction in football especially in a county like Cornwall where there too many clubs chasing too few sponsors and spectators. I can see clubs with 3 or 4 teams losing one of them due to lack of funding unless they are self funding, in other words the players pay for their own travelling, kit, after match food, subs, etc.

Players, even in the highest senior leagues will have to expect only travelling money and perhaps a couple of free drinks behind the bar in future. There simply isn't the money out there.

Clubs don't have credit cards to live on the never never. Club Committee Members are responsible for any debt their club runs up as they are responsible for the running of that club.

So if you want to see your club get promoted join it's committee and put your hand in your pocket, or be responsible for any future debt that it runs up after being promoted.

If you are all on here having a go at Budleigh not taking automatic promotion then you must also have a go at the teams who have not taken promotion from the Premier Division since the league was formed, Bodmin and Buckland.

Some complain that the league is stagnating but what was their excuse. Lack of money, travelling, so why can Budleigh have the same? An average crowd at Budleigh of 55 is not enough to sustain a Premier Div team especially in this day and age.

All clubs are suffering. No matter what division or league. It's better to live within your means than putting your club in financial trouble. One solution is to increase admission prices but that might drive some spectators away.

I've said it before and I'll say it again 'till you all stop and think, clubs are all living above their means and in the next 3-4 years we will see a contraction in football especially in a county like Cornwall where there too many clubs chasing too few sponsors and spectators. I can see clubs with 3 or 4 teams losing one of them due to lack of funding unless they are self funding, in other words the players pay for their own travelling, kit, after match food, subs, etc.

Players, even in the highest senior leagues will have to expect only travelling money and perhaps a couple of free drinks behind the bar in future. There simply isn't the money out there.

Clubs don't have credit cards to live on the never never. Club Committee Members are responsible for any debt their club runs up as they are responsible for the running of that club.

So if you want to see your club get promoted join it's committee and put your hand in your pocket, or be responsible for any future debt that it runs up after being promoted.

The reason Budleigh are being so frowned upon is the fact they applied to go up and pulled the plug at the very last minute.

Circumstances change from the time they applied and they had to alter their plans.

Thats not an excuse if you play in a league where promotion is possible you should be prepared to play at the higher level. Or do away with the pyramid system at this level.

you can't compare the promotion from the peninsula premier to the western league to the promotion to east division to premier. the travelling from down here to the western league which is bristol based is going to involve a lot more travelling than goin from east to premier. buckland location wise is as good as most but if the move will ruin there club then why would they?

you can't compare the promotion from the peninsula premier to the western league to the promotion to east division to premier. the travelling from down here to the western league which is bristol based is going to involve a lot more travelling than goin from east to premier. buckland location wise is as good as most but if the move will ruin there club then why would they?

I just beleive you should strive to play at the highest level, or do away with the pyramid system,no point in it if teams are given a choice of using it or not.

I repeat or didn't any of you read it properly.

It's the committee that runs the finances and if they say they can't afford it then they can't. They won't be the only ones, even the big clubs in Cornwall are suffering.

It's the committee that runs the finances and if they say they can't afford it then they can't. They won't be the only ones, even the big clubs in Cornwall are suffering.

I'm sure CTB that most of us did read your posting correctly, and that also we appreciate your comments regarding the way clubs need to run their finances, especially in these ever-increasing days of increased travelling costs etc.

However, I'm not sure how you can still defend Budleigh's change of mind. It's the fact they applied to go up and also had the ground inspected before they decided to withdraw their application.

Surely they should have already worked out the financial implications of promotion?

I'm sure CTB that most of us did read your posting correctly, and that also we appreciate your comments regarding the way clubs need to run their finances, especially in these ever-increasing days of increased travelling costs etc.

However, I'm not sure how you can still defend Budleigh's change of mind. It's the fact they applied to go up and also had the ground inspected before they decided to withdraw their application.

Surely they should have already worked out the financial implications of promotion?

Exactly.

And the fact that they've probably prevented a team which wanted to be promoted from achieving that ambition.

And the sheer arrogance of believing that they've done nothing wrong.

It's not just the cost of travelling that increases at Step 6, it will be the increase in demands by the players too.

At the recent Groundhop, three people I spoke to from different areas of the country were amazed that players are being paid at all at Step 7 (and completely flabbergasted that some are even paying players in the feeder leagues). Elsewhere, very very few clubs pay anything at Step 7, a mixture of paying and non-paying at Step 6 and some teams are even amateur at Step 5.