Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth beat Truro

Make no mistake, this was not a fluke. Having fallen behind to an early Truro goal, Town steadied themselves and raced into a 3 -1 half-time lead much to the annoyance of the shocked City supporters. Truro pulled a goal back in the second half with the goal of the game, but could not score further against a resolute Falmouth defence. Play like this in the league and Falmouth will be a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully, more supporters will be at Bickland Park this seaon to savour some more delightful football.

Come on the Town. :smiley20: :drink:

Make no mistake, this was not a fluke. Having fallen behind to an early Truro goal, Town steadied themselves and raced into a 3 -1 half-time lead much to the annoyance of the shocked City supporters. Truro pulled a goal back in the second half with the goal of the game, but could not score further against a resolute Falmouth defence. Play like this in the league and Falmouth will be a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully, more supporters will be at Bickland Park this seaon to savour some more delightful football.

Come on the Town. :smiley20::drink:

Great result Charlie,which team did you support tonight? Remember one swallow don't make a summer. :D :ph34r:

What a great night for Falmouth Town AFC beating Truro City FC in the Aubrey Wilkes Memorial Trophy last night in front of over 400 people at Bickland Park!! Manager Alan Carey got his team and tactics just right with inspired changes throughout the match.More importantly for Town with the league programme just a month away, it showed that new signings Lee Rundle,Sam Chitty and Jamie Devine are going to make a formidable defence by dealing with the threat from Truro front men Barry Hayles and Les Afful plus our new striker Ian Hodges opening his account with two well taken goals with the promise of more to come!!

Can I thank the volunteers who have spent the last five weeks or so for their sterling efforts at Bickland Park getting things ready for the new season with work carried out on the floodlights,inside the stand,dressing rooms and outside around the ground. A special mention should go to our Groundsman Mark Jones who has produced a pitch which will be the envy of every club in the CSWPL Premier Division-well done!!

Thanks also to Truro City and their supporters for their part in last night's game-good luck for the coming season ahead!I'm sure that Falmouth Town AFC v Truro City next year at Treyew Road will be another thrilling encounter!!

Back to business for us on thursday night at Poseur's Pitch by Falmouth School-why not come down and watch the players being put through their paces?

I hope the papers do us proud with match reports and photo's on thursday!!

Am I excited about the new season for Falmouth Town AFC? You bet-can't wait!!

Come on Town!!

Steve Kimberley

Chairman

Falmouth Town AFC :yahoo: :clapper:

Two new signings that the chairman forgot to mention, Joe Lugg who has joined from Mullion came on in the second half and played in mid field and for a 18yr old looks to have a great future.The other signing is Ash Stidwell a centre back from Porthleven who started the game at right back, again another good signing for Alan one that will solve any problems at right back and good cover at centre back.I would like to hear what Alan has to say but I reckon this has to be one of the best teams he has fielded since taking over the reins at Falmouth, i couldn't see a weak position in the team and once the new players start to gell they will only get stronger. Well done Falmouth great performance.I thought Dan Green was exceptional.

Hi Python

How could I forget Joe Lugg and Ashley Stidwell-sorry guys! Everyone played their part that night and look at the result!

The headlines on the back of the Falmouth West Briton(and no doubt others too) say "Town off to a flyer as they stun Tigers!!"

Nuff said! Come on Town! :clapper: :yahoo:

les afful and barry hayles only played 20mins between them jake ash made an appearance halfway through the second half, truro might have had their entire squad there but they didnt play at the same time!

How on earth are they expected to play there whole squad at the same time,are you saying ! Yetton and Watkins are no longer first team players,are you also saying the best team didn't win?

I was basing it on who played a full part of last season,Cody Cooke great player but it was his first game How many games has trathen played or johstone????????

Yes Falmouth played well and deservedly won on the night, their centrehalf was absolutely outstanding alongside their new forward who was ewqually as good.

One off pre season friendly good result different kettle of fish if you were to draw Truro in the fa cup!!!

Well done Falmouth,you played very well on the night,and if you can keep this up for the new season I think you will be in the running for honours come the end of the season.But dont go running away with the idea that you beat the championship winning side as the team that was fielded didn't even resemble it.Your 3 goals in the first half came through trialist central defensive errors.It may have been noticed in the 2nd half when our regular centre back was on the field Falmouth didn't score at all,where as the goalkeeper that you borrowed from us played a blinder and kept you in the game.This in no way sour grapes as I think Falmouth deserved the win on the night over the old enemy as they say.

Best of luck for the season ahead,you never know we might meet again in the F.A. Cup later in the season.

les afful and barry hayles only played 20mins between them...

Nonsense. Awful came on before half time and Hayley with half an hour to go. Ash also played longer than you claimed. Besides...Town also didn't play with their main strike force for the whole game as Hodges and Drummond were withdrawn after half time. Hence Truro got away with a lighter cuffing than might otherwise have been the case. ;)

Your 3 goals in the first half came through trialist central defensive errors.It may have been noticed in the 2nd half when our regular centre back was on the field Falmouth didn't score at all...

Although we created plenty of openings.

This in no way sour grapes...

Perish the thought.

Short clip from the interview with Alan Carey after the match - http://bit.ly/mXYcj9

Thanks Simon, I have a (rubbish) video of Town's third goal which I will eventually post. Looking for a UCF student to video matches for our blog. Would Packet be interested in showing snippets on their website?

After having a read through the comments on here, seems some truro fans are sore losers, i wasnt at the game myself so cant comment on who was better, but the truro fans are making every excuse in the book as to why they lost to a team a couple leagues below them, the truro players are now blue square south standard so should be good enough to beat a peninsula premier side no matter what team they put out, town wanted it more on the day and got there reward, town might go on and challenge for the title ot they might not, cant judge a season on 1 friendly, just wish there was 1 real football fan at truro to just say well done town on a good result, i wont hold my breath as i may be waiting a while

Bloody hell! I had no idea that pre-season friendly results were used as a barometer for expectations and success for the season! And here was me thinking that it was all about developing fitness, sharpening tactics and game play, and even trying one or two 'different' things before the real business starts? The enthusiasm is great to see, but calm down dears!

Bloody hell! I had no idea that pre-season friendly results were used as a barometer for expectations and success for the season! And here was me thinking that it was all about developing fitness, sharpening tactics and game play, and even trying one or two 'different' things before the real business starts? The enthusiasm is great to see, but calm down dears!

Who's getting hot under the collar now dear??

You've got to laugh...four exclamation marks in one paragraph and you're accusing others of needing to calm down? ;)

I do agree that we Falmouth Town fans are maybe going a wee bit OTT over the result and performance but make no mistake, this was no run of the mill pre-season kick around, it was a very competitive match for a 'friendly' and both teams were well up for it considering the circumstances. Anybody who saw the game will testify to that, (bad losers excepted).

Just the 3 exclamation marks, but it's nice to see the punctuation police about. ;-)

Not even a sore loser (in fact years ago I was priviledged to have played for both clubs) and now have no association to any team in the county. However, I do know a thing or two about training/coaching programmes and the development of players. Like I said, the enthusiasm is great, I'd love to see a club like Falmouth doing well, but perhaps a bit of perspective is sometimes useful? I really do hope that your early levels of hope and optimism are maintained throughout the season.

Just the 3 exclamation marks, but it's nice to see the punctuation police about. ;-)

You might know about training/coaching programmes but you obviously don't understand grammar police work. That was not an example of such a thing. ;)

Not even a sore loser (in fact years ago I was priviledged to have played for both clubs) and now have no association to any team in the county.

Fair enough...although I didn't accuse you (or anyone in particular) of being a sore loser. I had assumed you didn't see the match.

However, I do know a thing or two about training/coaching programmes and the development of players. Like I said, the enthusiasm is great, I'd love to see a club like Falmouth doing well, but perhaps a bit of perspective is sometimes useful? I really do hope that your early levels of hope and optimism are maintained throughout the season.

I agree with you...not that I see any lack of perspective beyond the enthusiasm you mention.

Oh come on guys, who cares about who is getting excited, or who is using too many exclamation marks. We are all football fans and as a Falmouth fan I can still say I am chuffed for Truro to be up there doing as well as they are. That is the first time I have seen a Falmouth/Truro game and maybe Town always rise to the occasion, but what I saw in that match I did not see in any Town performance last season.

Truro obviously have better players overall (they have the money to pay for them) and more resources at their control, but what I found really impressive about Falmouth wa stheir new found ability to soak up consistent pressure and then to hit back and score.

Carey has strengthened his defence through the new signings he has brought in and added to our attacking possibilities. The combination of Hodges and Drummond was frankly mouth watering.

Yes it was only one game, and maybe a special game at that, but anybody who saw Town play has got to be very otimistic for the new season.

I really hope Truro get promoted gain, but I also really think that Town could be top of the table this year. Question is, how do we make enough money to be able to take up promotion and progress up the leagues like Truro have done?

Can any of the more established fans let me know how the club works. Who owns it for example?

Oh come on guys, who cares about who is getting excited, or who is using too many exclamation marks. We are all football fans and as a Falmouth fan I can still say I am chuffed for Truro to be up there doing as well as they are. That is the first time I have seen a Falmouth/Truro game and maybe Town always rise to the occasion, but what I saw in that match I did not see in any Town performance last season.

Truro obviously have better players overall (they have the money to pay for them) and more resources at their control, but what I found really impressive about Falmouth wa stheir new found ability to soak up consistent pressure and then to hit back and score.

Carey has strengthened his defence through the new signings he has brought in and added to our attacking possibilities. The combination of Hodges and Drummond was frankly mouth watering.

Yes it was only one game, and maybe a special game at that, but anybody who saw Town play has got to be very otimistic for the new season.

I really hope Truro get promoted gain, but I also really think that Town could be top of the table this year. Question is, how do we make enough money to be able to take up promotion and progress up the leagues like Truro have done?

Can any of the more established fans let me know how the club works. Who owns it for example?

Good post Falmouthfan.Nice to read a post from someone with a bit of sense and his feet firmly on the ground.There is no need for some of the nit picking,as most have agreed that Falmouth deserved their win on the night and wished the team all the best for the season ahead.I'm sure you are going to do well if you can produce that sort of performance week in week out.

Well done Falmouth Town - We the fans are not sore losers - You won the game that NEVER WAS.

Go to Truro City's new website click on TEAM and you have all the fixtures but there is no

mention of the Falmouth Town game.

An oversight OR bad for team morale? - The fans cannot be blamed for that omission.

Carey has strengthened by offering to better the wages those players were getting at a club in a higher league last season, some £150 a game according to my sources, so Falmouth clearly have the money to move up the pyramid! Or is it not Falmouth's money that's being used?

That's how teams try and win the Peninsula Premier League isn't it? Offer over the odds to average players, not win it, then do it all over again the next season - what a waste of money and effort!!!

Short clip from the interview with Alan Carey after the match - http://bit.ly/mXYcj9

Thanks Simon, I have a (rubbish) video of Town's third goal which I will eventually post. Looking for a UCF student to video matches for our blog. Would Packet be interested in showing snippets on their website?

Yes for sure. Be dlighted to get any video for the website. Can link back to your blog as well.

Carey has strengthened by offering to better the wages those players were getting at a club in a higher league last season, some £150 a game according to my sources, so Falmouth clearly have the money to move up the pyramid! Or is it not Falmouth's money that's being used?

That's how teams try and win the Peninsula Premier League isn't it? Offer over the odds to average players, not win it, then do it all over again the next season - what a waste of money and effort!!!

Nothing wrong with paying players providing clubs are ambitious and move on to the next level.If they don't the FA will take the option away.Not taking promotions stagnates football. So come on cornish big boys do your county proud just like Truro City

Nothing wrong with paying players providing clubs are ambitious and move on to the next level.If they don't the FA will take the option away.Not taking promotions stagnates football. So come on cornish big boys do your county proud just like Truro City

I agree that teams should be made to take promotion BUT as many will say the increased travelling, losing local derbies etc. loses them cash they cannot afford, when they have Championship sides playing off for a place in the Premiership (Owned by the worlds richest people) the play off final is staged as the RICHEST game in world football (MILLIONS). It is time for the FA to push some of that cash down the pyramid to compensate promoted teams for their anticipated losses in their first season in the higher league, that would give supporters time to get used to playing against new clubs at the same time not risking the clubs solvency.

I admit to cringe at the amounts bandied about to players in levels 5,6 & 7, but if clubs are happy to pay them above the going rate that's up to them, some are not worth the minimum rate of £5.93 per hour, maybe the player who shouts "lend me a tenner gov" will go far.

As for Truro City, I think there will always be a fear of the big slide back down but not whilst Mr H is there.

Unfortunately Cornish football is in a somewhat unique position in the country. There are a limited number of talented players in a large geographical area and the laws of supply and demand state that the price for a good player will then be high. Added to that the expense of travelling to Bristol and farther every other week and also that some players cant be bothered with the excessive travelling time. You may have to field a weakened team at the higher level or even base your team in the Exeter or Plymouth area to make it viable. Then the players have to travel to home games as well!

However, back in the seventies, Falmouth, with a predominately Plymouth-based team, had an excellent spell in the Western League despite the roads not being half as good as now and they used to get over some of the travelling problems by playing Saturdays and Sundays! I wonder what todays players would make of that?

Back to Falmouth v. Truro. An excellent performance by Town. Both new Centre-halves looked excellent and Hodges looked a great player up-front too. Craig Duff looked at least as good as some of the celebrated Truro midfielders as well. As a success-starved town fan I dont care how much they cost as long as the club can afford it. I will take a league championship and just as importantly a nice day out at the Senior Cup final this year please.

Up the Town!

Unfortunately Cornish football is in a somewhat unique position in the country. There are a limited number of talented players in a large geographical area and the laws of supply and demand state that the price for a good player will then be high. Added to that the expense of travelling to Bristol and farther every other week and also that some players cant be bothered with the excessive travelling time.

I really do get fed up with this point of view. It has no credence as other cornish sports manage to travel far greater distances than would be encountered in the Western League. Redruth and Launceston rugby clubs often travel to Manchester, Yorkshire, Birmingham, Norfolk etc. Also just look at the teams that Newquay Ladies play; Chesham Utd Ladies, Forest Green Rovers Ladies, Gloucester City LFC, Havant & Waterlooville, Keynsham Development LFC, Southampton Saints LFC, Swindon Town, University of Portsmouth LFC,

Let's be honest, most local footballers have little commitment to their sport and want as much money as they can get for the least effort possible!! :SM_carton:

Back to Falmouth v. Truro. An excellent performance by Town. Both new Centre-halves looked excellent and Hodges looked a great player up-front too. Craig Duff looked at least as good as some of the celebrated Truro midfielders as well. As a success-starved town fan I dont care how much they cost as long as the club can afford it. I will take a league championship and just as importantly a nice day out at the Senior Cup final this year please.

Up the Town!

Oh come on guys, who cares about who is getting excited, or who is using too many exclamation marks.

It was a joke (note the emoticon) although nobody said anyone was using too many exclamation marks. Read again.

We are all football fans and as a Falmouth fan I can still say I am chuffed for Truro to be up there doing as well as they are.

Personally I am far from chuffed that Truro are doing so well...jealous maybe. ;)

I agree but even if we beat them in an FA Cup match, I wouldn't be counting chickens.

Being honest, I hope they get relegated.

Falmouth Town is a limited company.

Obviously another case of phone hacking, or a made up storey,Why is it when a team is doing well some jobsworth comes onto this site and spouts on about cash,how many threads is there on this website about paying players.

AS LONG AS IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT'(HAVE A NICE SEASON)

Are Falmouth doing well yet? I don't tihnk so, one friendly win against a team who have nothing to prove, but wanted to avoid injuries to their very small squad as they have much bigger things to think about than beating a "local" amateur team certainly doesn't make a season!

Falmouth may well do better this season than last, but I'll be very surprised if they win the league as the teams above them last season had very good players, playing for each other and for a club they chose to play at, rather than choosing the club that paid them the most money.

"Wanting" to do well for football reasons is different than playing well in a friendly to prove you're a good player as you would love to get a chance to play for the opposition.

"Wanting" to do well for football reasons is also different to "trying" to justify your wedge week in week out to the other players in the team who don't get paid as much as you, but not really having the the "club" at your heart.

Being there for the money produces a certain type of performance and it's not usually the one required week in week out to win the league.

Very best of luck to all clubs and supporters for the season ahead - it could be worse, you could support Argyle!

Oh come on guys, who cares about who is getting excited, or who is using too many exclamation marks.

It was a joke (note the emoticon) although nobody said anyone was using too many exclamation marks. Read again.

We are all football fans and as a Falmouth fan I can still say I am chuffed for Truro to be up there doing as well as they are.

Personally I am far from chuffed that Truro are doing so well...jealous maybe. ;)

I agree but even if we beat them in an FA Cup match, I wouldn't be counting chickens.

Being honest, I hope they get relegated.

Falmouth Town is a limited company.

Oh dear, thanks Aberfalman, guess I need to sharpen up my hating 'the scum' credentials. I didn't mean to offend or upset anyone - like I said (somewhere), new kid on the block. What does limited company mean exactly? Are there shares and could groups of fans (ie. supporters club) get involved in ownership albeit on a (very) small scale?

And before anybody asks no I am not a Heaney, just trying to think of ways of generating cash for the club??

Unfortunately Cornish football is in a somewhat unique position in the country. There are a limited number of talented players in a large geographical area and the laws of supply and demand state that the price for a good player will then be high. Added to that the expense of travelling to Bristol and farther every other week and also that some players cant be bothered with the excessive travelling time.

I really do get fed up with this point of view. It has no credence as other cornish sports manage to travel far greater distances than would be encountered in the Western League. Redruth and Launceston rugby clubs often travel to Manchester, Yorkshire, Birmingham, Norfolk etc. Also just look at the teams that Newquay Ladies play; Chesham Utd Ladies, Forest Green Rovers Ladies, Gloucester City LFC, Havant & Waterlooville, Keynsham Development LFC, Southampton Saints LFC, Swindon Town, University of Portsmouth LFC,

Let's be honest, most local footballers have little commitment to their sport and want as much money as they can get for the least effort possible!! :SM_carton:

Spot on Goldeneye! I just hope that Falmouth are making plans for their long-term future - i.e. how to gain/sustain success when 'extras' to the budget are taken away, and they are back to whatever they can raise themselves through gate receipts, bar money etc. Spending £1000 approx a week to win £2500 per SEASON prize money and not take promotion is clever business? Its worth running at a loss if the greater goal is something along the lines of Truro City with all the extra revenues created further down the line. If Town have no intention of taking promotion (should they win the league this year), then I hope the 'extras' are spent on building a long-term sustainable future, so the people of Falmouth can enjoy a thriving football club at the heart of its community - just like how I remember it growing up.

Oh dear, thanks Aberfalman, guess I need to sharpen up my hating 'the scum' credentials. I didn't mean to offend or upset anyone - like I said (somewhere), new kid on the block.

Not all all. Nobody is compelled to 'hate' anyone...even Truro City. ;)

What does limited company mean exactly? Are there shares and could groups of fans (ie. supporters club) get involved in ownership albeit on a (very) small scale?

I'm not sure to be honest. As far as I know the limited company own the ground and clubhouse and they let it to the committee who run the football club. I don't know who owns the shares and what the situation is regarding buying them.

And before anybody asks no I am not a Heaney, just trying to think of ways of generating cash for the club??

Personally I hope something similar to what happened in the late 1950's with Shell comes about. Other than some rich sugar daddy coming along, it's hard to see how Falmouth Town can prosper otherwise.

£1000 per week ... WOW.. whos there commercial manager, he/she deserves a pat on the back.

Any tips on how you can generate that sort of money, Please let me know.. ha!!!

Good luck Falmouth its your money you spend it how you want.

Step 6 football £1000 per week is unbelievable!!!!! still your a fair way behind Bodmin, Buckland etc oh and just a bit in front of Newquay lol

Money Man

Spot on Goldeneye! I just hope that Falmouth are making plans for their long-term future - i.e. how to gain/sustain success when 'extras' to the budget are taken away, and they are back to whatever they can raise themselves through gate receipts, bar money etc. Spending £1000 approx a week to win £2500 per SEASON prize money and not take promotion is clever business? Its worth running at a loss if the greater goal is something along the lines of Truro City with all the extra revenues created further down the line. If Town have no intention of taking promotion (should they win the league this year), then I hope the 'extras' are spent on building a long-term sustainable future, so the people of Falmouth can enjoy a thriving football club at the heart of its community - just like how I remember it growing up.

I reckon if their is no promoted team from the SWPL PREMIER this year the FA will take away the option. People worked very hard to get Cornish foot.ball into the pyramid system and it is being treated with complete contempt. Its ok shouting how good Falmouth are but its all about the wallets of individual players not the ambition of the club,UNLESS they are in a position to take promotion accept it and push on as a team with a few quality signings to be able to compete at level 5,but if the players that win promotion decide to stay at level 6 for whatever reason we might as well go back to the Cornish Senior / Junior leagues of the 1950's.

People worked very hard to get Cornish foot.ball into the pyramid system and it is being treated with complete contempt.

Shouldn't that read that Devon clubs are just as much to blame as the Cornish? After all Buckland won it twice after Bodmin's two!

Yes it does or should we say BUCKLAND did a BODMIN.

People worked very hard to get Cornish foot.ball into the pyramid system and it is being treated with complete contempt.

Shouldn't that read that Devon clubs are just as much to blame as the Cornish? After all Buckland won it twice after Bodmin's two!

Yes it could should include Devon, but i was looking from a Cornish football perspective. Sorry