Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town to Leave Bickland Park

It's great that the club have clearly stated their ambition to climb the leagues (let's not forget that many clubs are criticised on here for not doing the same.) However, it's a great shame that this could not be achieved by redeveloping Bickland Park. I had some great memories there as both a child and as an adult. Expect an announcement on plans to turn the area into either a new housing estate or a supermarket pretty soon!

It's great that the club have clearly stated their ambition to climb the leagues

Sorry to be a bit of a party pooper etc, but could it not be a little too early to assume that the club are looking to take promotion as and when it becomes available.

With any large amount of money becoming available with the ground being sold, they would be daft not to use it towards making sure the ground and facilities is top notch.

They have been quoted as saying "The club said that if it wants to move up the leagues", however this doesn't mean they will. That will depend on who is in charge of running the club when hopefully the day comes.

It's great that the club have clearly stated their ambition to climb the leagues (let's not forget that many clubs are criticised on here for not doing the same.) However, it's a great shame that this could not be achieved by redeveloping Bickland Park. I had some great memories there as both a child and as an adult. Expect an announcement on plans to turn the area into either a new housing estate or a supermarket pretty soon!

Difficult to see any objection to housing on that site so presumably that's where the finance will come from.

Agree it will be sad to leave Bickland Park; but as some of those supporting this pointed out to me, even if the money was available to redevelop the ground, there's not enough room there for the facilities they want for the club.

This angers me when it was put on this Forum on July the 8th that Falmouth Town were thinking of moving it was denied,

Why ? it makes People think that some are just spreading rumours, When at the end of the day it turns out to be true,

Why not be open right from the start & say yes we are thinking of moving,

I personally believe it will be good for Falmouth to move, although a great job has been done at Falmouth this year by the Grounds man & supporters, it is quite clear to anyone that there is a great deal more that needs doing to bring the ground up to the required standard,

So now it is out into the open, good luck to Falmouth Town, & we the Supporters must get behind the Committee & give them our full support.

Hammers :c::clapper: :c:

It's great that the club have clearly stated their ambition to climb the leagues

Sorry to be a bit of a party pooper etc, but could it not be a little too early to assume that the club are looking to take promotion as and when it becomes available.

With any large amount of money becoming available with the ground being sold, they would be daft not to use it towards making sure the ground and facilities is top notch.

They have been quoted as saying "The club said that if it wants to move up the leagues", however this doesn't mean they will. That will depend on who is in charge of running the club when hopefully the day comes.

If a club from down this way does'nt take promotion soon the FA will take away the opportunity.

If a club from down this way does'nt take promotion soon the FA will take away the opportunity.

Will that matter if no one has taken it to date? Perhaps we need someone other than Bodmin or Buckland to win the SWPL, but then would any other club actually take promotion anyway?

But we can't do anything about the make-up of the Western League - we have to go into it to progress! Anyway - there's always Barnstaple Town, Ilfracombe Town and Willand Rovers to look forward to playing against (shame about the situation at Dawlish - lost another local club!)

A pity they didn't think to let the fans know before they spoke to the papers. A bit disappointed with the management...

Why be disappointed ...........surely the best way to tell the fans all at once is by spreading the news via the media!

Or read this Forum of course. It was on here a couple of weeks ago!

I only hope that when they build their new ground it has cover on all four sides and all enclosed. Falmouth town has that real ground feel to it and with one big stand and terracing at one end its a ground I look forward to visiting everytime St Blazey visit. Its a huge ground to look after so maybe a more modern version will help long term. Look forward to seeing it though.

Please spend what ever money you get wisely. Lets see a quality ground for local football.

Cornishteddyboy,

Two things, One we do not need Kevin Heaney involved in any shape or form, or anywhere near Falmouth Town,

Two we do not want Ground share,

Falmouth Town as of now need full control over their ground,

once you start involving other People your problems could then start,

Falmouth Town have always owned their Football ground,

& I am sure that they will continue in that vain.

Hammers :c: :c: :clapper:

Skeletor,

I do not agree with your comments,

the new ground cannot be built over night, it could be several years, in the mean time the present ground needs to be kept in a reasonable condition,

& I am confident that Falmouth Town management will continue to care for the ground the welfare of the supporters & visiting fans.

Hammers :c::clapper: :c:

Waste of time doing all that hard work, painting and weeding etc! the fans that put there own time in must feel mugged right off!

Not at all, it needed to be done. What's more, even if this goes ahead, it's likely it'll have to be done for a couple of pre-seasons yet.

Why would they feel "mugged off ".........Seem's to me Town wont be moving for a few season's yet,so to see Cornwalls best ever stadium looking good for the coming season must make them glow with pride. Well done to all involved. UP THE TOWN !!!!!! :clapper:

A new ground, perhaps that is why Mr Heaney was sniffing around. Let someone else build one, then ask for a ground-share.

Remember people were posting the same things on the forum months ago. No smoke without fire.

People? I assume you mean yourself as you are the one the brought Heaney into this. In what way is he 'sniffing around'? Seems to me you get smoke without fire when people are making stuff up.

As a player at under 12(1981) ,14 ,16's and combo level i think its a real shame town are leaving bickland,i always felt genuinly priveleged everytime i walked down those steps from the change rooms and onto the pitch,theres no other ground like it in the area.However i fully support the decision and wish FTFC all the very best in the future .By the way ,will the social club stay?maybe under a different name ,will it be knocked down?just wondering like!

As a player at under 12(1981) ,14 ,16's and combo level i think its a real shame town are leaving bickland,i always felt genuinly priveleged everytime i walked down those steps from the change rooms and onto the pitch,theres no other ground like it in the area.However i fully support the decision and wish FTFC all the very best in the future .By the way ,will the social club stay?maybe under a different name ,will it be knocked down?just wondering like!

Looking at my "at a glance" First team appearance listing -your name shows up in season 2002-03 but no record.

Did you ever play for the Falmouth first team Robin ?

I do see your bother Mark "Charlie" making 8 appearances

Looking at my "at a glance" First team appearance listing -your name shows up in season 2002-03 but no record.

Did you ever play for the Falmouth first team Robin ?

I do see your bother Mark "Charlie" making 8 appearances

Mike i played in the combo under mickey westgarth around 2002-3 i think,sat on the bench for the first team once for neil in an FA cup qualifier against Evesham which finished 2-2(i think)that same season.

All the best wishes to Falmouth Town.Spend the proceeds wisely for the long term future of your club.St Austell rugby club experienced a similar situation many years ago,great facilities there now,but a lot was spent trying to buy 'on field' success,that money has now gone,but the facilities remain.

After all said and done,it is your own property to do what you wish with,I expect a few green eyed monsters will no doubt have their say,I for one think it is good times ahead for all concerned with a football club that was for many years THE senior club in the county.

I did hear that the clubhouse would be knocked down but the one stumbling block would be trying to remove Gnome, Marcus and Lofty from the bar!

IS THIS THE RIGHT TIME TO SELL? - NO - NO - NO

I can only wish Falmouth Town and their supporters well but I would ask any club

thinking of selling their ground if now were the right time, I can see no advantage

in selling at a time land prices are at a record low.

Ten years time and this recession could have been turned around, however, if the

alternative site were available at a snip then go for it.

Get the facilities right and the crowds will roll in and good players will join you.

In the meantime I shall continue to follow Truro City away. Good Luck.