Cornwall Football Forum

Camelford 7 Foxhole 2

Camelford 7 Foxhole 2

Thursday 4th August 2011

The visitors were up against it from the start and only a fine double save by Holland from Menhinick and Pooley prevented the Camels from taking an early lead, but, after weathering the storm, Foxhole opened the scoring on eighteen minutes with a fine header by Stone from Rundle's free-kick, after Upton had been bundled over by Looker. Boxall equalised six minutes later with a clever lob, and, within a minute and only moments after Luke Potter had been unlucky to see his effort following a mazy dribble rebound off the upright, Ralph's challenge on Menhinick was deemed a foul, Menhinick himself despatching the penalty. Pooley made it 3-1 on twenty-nine minutes, cutting inside Faircloth to beat Holland at his near post as the home team took control, but a great effort from distance by the isolated Upton which flashed just wide appeared to galvanise the Foxes, May firing over with Colwill beaten and Faircloth unable to climax a tremendous move when his header at the far post was palmed away.

Although the referee had vetoed the traditional use of rolling substitutions, Camelford were nevertheless permitted to make four changes at half-time rather than the standard three, and these fresh legs only served to exacerbate the gulf between the sides. Pooley's low cross was turned into his own net by the sliding Ralph within three minutes of the restart as the Foxes struggled to retain possession to any meaningful effect. Matters deteriorated further on the hour when the hard-working lone striker Upton was ludicrously cautioned for nothing more than a collision with Colwill, while Rundle was dismissed four minutes later for two rapid bookings following yet another puzzling decision.

With twenty-one minutes remaining, Menhinick's centre from the left was missed by Fieldhouse to present Pooley with an easy finish, although Upton was soon to grab a deserved goal when he capitalised on Colwill's error. It was a rare joyous moment amidst the gloom as Camelford took advantage of their extra man with further goals in the final three minutes from Impleton's deflected drive and Sandercock's header, the visiting faithful grateful to Holland for denying both Insley and Pooley to at least prevent a massacre.

Foxhole (4-5-1): Billy Holland; Joe Stone (sub. Ryan Jacobs), Richard Faircloth, Bradley Ralph, Adam Fieldhouse; David Grose, Gary Camps (sub. Daniel Allen), Aydan Rundle, Lee Hazeldine, Pete May; Duane Upton.

Camelford (4-4-2): Josh Colwill; Ben Potter (sub. Martyn Haynes), Shane Looker, Dan Metherell (sub. Adam Sleep), Liam Sandercock; Ryan Pooley, Andy Boxall, Kevin Murt (sub. Josh Insley), Lewis Impleton; Paul Menhinick, Luke Potter (sub. Mark Gusterson).

Referee: Mr James Strout (Port Isaac).

Young Strout has been Camelford's biggest fan for quite a few years. I've witnessed quite a few decisions in their favour and heard of quite a few more from others by this "L" plated ref.

Biggest load of rubbish ever posted on this forum.To my knowledge Mr Strout has only reffed Camelford twice both times in the last six months. Are you suggesting that he and Camelford cheat? If so report it to the powers that be, otherwise go shopping at ASDA on matchdays. :SM_carton:

Going to make some serious enemies? Lets remember that this was a game of football and a friendly at that. Hardly a life or death situation. The player that got sent off may well feel hard done by, but from what I could see once the ref had already booked him and the player still seemed to be giving the ref back chat. The ref then warned the player a further 2 times. However the player still continued to give the ref back chat. Harsh in a friendly to be sent off maybe, but if the ref did not stick to his word and do what he is supposed to then he would have got non stop back chat from the majority of the players on the pitch knowing that they would be able to get away with it. If you are told that you will be sent off if you say another word then I'm sure the majority of the players would have kept quiet.

Going to make some serious enemies? Lets remember that this was a game of football and a friendly at that. Hardly a life or death situation. The player that got sent off may well feel hard done by, but from what I could see once the ref had already booked him and the player still seemed to be giving the ref back chat. The ref then warned the player a further 2 times. However the player still continued to give the ref back chat. Harsh in a friendly to be sent off maybe, but if the ref did not stick to his word and do what he is supposed to then he would have got non stop back chat from the majority of the players on the pitch knowing that they would be able to get away with it. If you are told that you will be sent off if you say another word then I'm sure the majority of the players would have kept quiet.

Well said KH8 i reffed to contributary league standard for several years, i would certainly have sent the Foxhole player off, whats the point of "gobbing" off ? only going to be one outcome.