Cornwall Football Forum

Admission Charges ?

Admission prices in SWPL

After visits to Truro City & Wadebridge Town and being charged £4 admission, I contacted Phil Hiscox at SWPL for answers... here is his response.

"Until last season the Standardised Rules that National League System leagues used contained a rule that allowed the league to set the standard admission charge, concessions etc, any changes had to go through the AGM.

This years set of rules however changed a lot of that, the FA have dictated that leagues may now only provide MINIMUM admission prices, nothing more than that.

The AGM fixed those for this season as £4 in the Premier and £2 in Division One.

Market forces can now determine if clubs use those minimums or push the price upwards".

Basically, we will travel the SWPL not knowing how much each game is going to cost us to watch. Surely if this is the case, clubs should be forced to advertise in advance on a website, the actual admission charges. Are we likely to see some clubs raise prices for local derbys or when a club with a good following visit ? Are clubs allowed to charge more for visiting fans by way of offering a discount to club members for example ?

Please let us know how much your club is charging below, thanks.

Admission prices in SWPL

After visits to Truro City & Wadebridge Town and being charged £4 admission, I contacted Phil Hiscox at SWPL for answers... here is his response.

"Until last season the Standardised Rules that National League System leagues used contained a rule that allowed the league to set the standard admission charge, concessions etc, any changes had to go through the AGM.

This years set of rules however changed a lot of that, the FA have dictated that leagues may now only provide MINIMUM admission prices, nothing more than that.

The AGM fixed those for this season as £4 in the Premier and £2 in Division One.

Market forces can now determine if clubs use those minimums or push the price upwards".

Basically, we will travel the SWPL not knowing how much each game is going to cost us to watch. Surely if this is the case, clubs should be forced to advertise in advance on a website, the actual admission charges. Are we likely to see some clubs raise prices for local derbys or when a club with a good following visit ? Are clubs allowed to charge more for visiting fans by way of offering a discount to club members for example ?

Please let us know how much your club is charging below, thanks.

3 quid at St Dennis mate, if you beat us we might ask for another quid on exit to help us lick our wounds!

Not got a problem with £4, but it would be nice to know just how much we are going to be charged in advance. Just another FA Directive that makes no sense. Surely a Maximum should be set so that everyone knows what the limit is ?

Imagine, St Blazey play at St Austell and Money Man decides it's £10 to get in, nothing you can do as the FA say it's OK. (I'm not suggesting St Austell would do this btw, just an example).

I would have thought setting a maximum price more sensible. If a club decided to charge 50p surely that is up to them. Technically now there is nothing stopping any team now charging £20 entry - not that they would of course!

WIth regards to charging away fans differently, presuming the rules the F.A. set in higher leagues runs all of the way down, away fans are not to be charged any more than home fans for equivalent seating. As, at this level, home and away fans mix within the same stands I can't even see how a club would enforce this, but if they were to try, I think they'd be breaking league rules.

Upon arriving at Dartmouth yesterday, I handed the guy on the gate a £10 note for two adults, fully expecting £2 change. I was quite suprised to receive a programm and two 50/50 tickets for half-time draw. I wasn't asked if I wanted a programm or 50/50 tickets, but purely given.

Thank you BUT no thank you should have been your answer.......... or maybe thats the deal at Dartmouth?

Phil Hiscox has responded...

I'd have to say that if a club did that then although morally it maybe considered dodgy, it would be perfectly legal provided Home and Away supporters are charged the same. Clubs cannot charge away fans more than home or offer promotions that apply only to home fans. Under rules clubs may have upto 3 promotional days during the league season, details of which must be put in writing to the league at least 14 days before fixtures.

I suggest your worry about local derbies being more expensive is no different to clubs in the Premier league having Gold / Silver / Bronze fixtures and varying prices depending if its Man Utd or Wigan that they are playing.

Whilst I have some sympathy with your probable concerns, I'd have to remind you that its an FA rule to only set minimums, sometimes we can't set rules we would like to (like players starting with 1-11 shirts !).

I'm not sure that having Cat A/B/C matches would work down here. Supporters of Buckland, St Blazey, Newquay and certain others (The Man Utds) who often travel in good numbers, will find that host clubs put up prices for their visits, yet the supporters of those clubs with a small travelling support (The Wigans) are charged less. Same ground, facilities and opposition, yet visiting clubs can be charged more due to the number of supporters or league position of their team. If that is the case, we should be told in advance (as FA Premier League Clubs have to) as to which games are which.

I would have a Max or set fee of £5 for Prem and £4 for Divs 1 E/W for 2011/12, half price concessions. Kids under 16 free if with paying adult.

Do you agree that if your team is hosting an evening KO and the floodlights are in use, perhaps it might be OK to charge a little more. (just a thought)

Our usual admission price would be £ 4.00 (same for every home game this season, but an interesting thought from Nemesis to raise prices for a high profile game)

OAPs £3.00

Under 16 s free

Programme £1.00

Sponsoring a match or a match ball has its benefits to, especially at St Austell.

Just to make it clear, I am not against charging more for admission dependant on who the opposition are. However, I do feel that the admission charge for SWPL games should be a Maximum of £5 for the Prem and £4 for Divs 1 E/W. However, clubs who do vary prices, should be forced to announce the prices way in advance.

No one minds the FA raising admission prices for FA Vase or FA Cup games, supporters know what to expect.I should imagine that as the CCFA only set prices for Finals, other Cup games at say 5th Round could see a higher admission price and no one would complain too much.

It is hard enough attracting fans in Premiership replica shirts away from pubs or comfy sofas to watch local football, raising prices in these hard times does not make sense. Newquay are sticking with £3 which is the cost of a pint in town, local football just needs the right marketing, or possibly re-branding, to get the fans back into grounds and clubhouses.

I get the point about letting people know if you intend to vary the price but I'm struggling to come up with a good reason as to why the governing bodies should be involved with pricing at all.

Agree with the point about marketing. I know it's a different situation down here but I heard no mention locally of it being Non-League Day last Saturday until I saw an article on SSN.

I have been asked by the Newquay AFC Committee, to state that after a meeting to discuss this issue, a decision has been made to increase the admission for SWPL games to £4 and £2 concessions with effect from this Sat 10th Sept.

I get the feeling that quite a few others will follow suit.

At 10am yesterday Newquay were sticking to £3 per game,at 10pm it's gone up to £4 per game.Terrific marketing Nemesis...promise £3 then raise it to £4,are you not a little embarrassed by this change of your club policy ?

The decision was taken after Committee members were made aware of the situation arose, I have no say in what they do, good or bad, what I will say is that £4 is terrific value for what your get at Mount Wise Stadium these days.