Cornwall Football Forum

Why we Referee !

Just back from reffing my first SWPL match of the season.

Red Cards, yellow cards, penalty decisions, Goals, more goals, one scored from an advantage given by yours truly, offsides given, offsides not given, back passes, drop balls, hissy fits, shake hands, superb club assistant referees and then a nice pint in the clubhouse.

NOW, THAT'S WHAT I CALL A FOOTBALL MATCH !

There is always someone who will want to spoil it, but I still love this game.

I think you Ref's get a rough ride most games that I watch............ The thing I do not understand is why you take so much verbal abuse from the players and the bench ???

I heard a comment from someone in the technical area recently and they called ( shouted out ) that the ref was a blind and useless c*** !!!!!!! ( he heard this also ). Totally unacceptable. If I was a ref I would have gone over and knocked him out !!!!!!!

I am convinced if you stamp it out from the first minute , you will have less hassle ?

Some of the comments and language that come your way is bang out of order.

I managed a youth team for 8 years and the main problems we had each week, were people off the pitch causing trouble ........ shouting abuse at the ref , the refs assistants the players and the Managers.

Problem for the refs is that there's no guarantee that 'the powers that be' will take the appropriate action to support the referee. I was present at a match a couple of seasons ago where the home team manager was verbally abusive to the referee who dealt with it immediately by giving him a red card. This went to a disciplinary where there was an attempt to ban the manager but he got away with it - shocking!

There definitely seems to be a difference between what higher profile managers/players can get away with and what tolerence there is towards the manager/player in the local 3rd or 4th team.

Agree with The Bald One and that the standard should be set by premier league referees who should send off players and managers for foul and abusive language when it occurs. In addition, if officials at the top level were more proactive in dealing with holding and shirt pulling in the penalty area by giving penalties (or free kicks to the defending team) it would put a stop to it almost immediately.

Having said that, I have the greatest of respect for referees and just wish players would make their lives easier but not putting them under so much pressure.

Just back from reffing my first SWPL match of the season.

Red Cards, yellow cards, penalty decisions, Goals, more goals, one scored from an advantage given by yours truly, offsides given, offsides not given, back passes, drop balls, hissy fits, shake hands, superb club assistant referees and then a nice pint in the clubhouse.

NOW, THAT'S WHAT I CALL A FOOTBALL MATCH !

There is always someone who will want to spoil it, but I still love this game.

I watched the Falmouth Town v Launceston game that ended 4-3. Very few fouls and I can't remember a controversial decision. Well Launceston did query Town's forth goal(offside), but they didn't make a huge deal of it. I think the first booking was in the last five minutes (time wasting). The ref had a pretty quiet night...sounds like you would have hated it.