Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay v Penryn Athletic

Well done newquay defence newquay goalie sent off after 15mins as well as penryn player bit harsh decision seeing goalie is at least 6ft and penryn player about 5ft should of both been booked but newquay had to have a player in goal who didnt have much to do thanks to a brilliant defence performance and newquay won 1-0 after penryn goalie couldnt hold a powerful shot and the rebound was tucked away .But the saying couldnt hit a barn door must apply to penryns shooting which was abysmal but well done Newquay for a really good performance.

bit harsh decision seeing goalie is at least 6ft and penryn player about 5ft should of both been booked

Not quite sure what the height difference has to do with it. From where I stood, which was probably closer than most, I felt the referee got it spot on - both had to go if you're applying the laws of the land!

Have to say I thought Penryn deserved to get something out of the game - after 'keeper Jason Peters should have kept hold of the ball (although he will possibly say he had it kicked out of his hands), which allowed Newquay to score the only goal of the game through Luke Whelden, Penryn had the better of the second half and stand in goally Glen Squires saved from Dan Richardson, while Tom Whipp missed a very good chance in the closing minutes.

I was standing near the mayfield end by the corner flag and the penryn player put his hands on blacklers throat all he did was push the penryn player away should of been 2 bookings quite a fierce game the penryn no5 should of gone for a nasty 2 footed tackle .Well done newquay outsanding display

....And where did Tom Blackler's foot go?

And as for the "two-footed" tackle by Hughie Howlett, the referee was absolutely perfectly placed - no more than a few feet from the action. I think he had a better view than most.

I hope newquay appeal against tom blacklers sending off it should of been just a booking .I also think the attendance was dissapointing seeing this was the 2 top teams ,i know i shouldnt complain because i am usually down truro or at home park but no more plymouth for me while this mess is goin on up there at the moment and i begrudge paying money to go see the crap they are playing at the moment .I thought more newquay people would support there team because lets be honest the cricket team is crap and newquay hornets are poor at the moment but there is signs of improvement there .Well done again newquay and also well done to Godolphin on another win and the management team for really working wonders at the club.

Newquay won't stand a chance appealing Blacklers sending off. I was 100 yards away and saw the blatant stamp. The whole ground saw it! Can also say I should have held the first effort no doubt but the 2nd was 100% 2 hands on the ball, ask the striker who admitted it at half time. Also our number 5 does well to jump 2 feet when he's stood on his feet.

A couple of strange decisions today. I missed the sending off incident as I had just arrived and was settling in, but everyone seemed a bit bemused. Two bookings seemed strange to me, Robbo for Newquay who I can only assume must have said something out of turn although he didnt seem to think so. Secondly the Penryn no.5 got booked when to me it looked like the Newquay slid in hard and came off worse, I really dont know what the other lad did. A tough game today which probably would have been better if it was 11 v 11, but well done Newquay on getting the win especially in the second half when Penryn really upped their game.

100% Cornish...Newquay's poor attendance may be due to the recent 33% increase in admission charges.Your comments regarding the prowess of certain other Newquay sporting teams are irrelevant.In fact your statement regarding Newquay Hornets shows that you havn't actually been along and watched any rugby this season.And as for the cricket team,they are a team of unpaid local sportsmen doing the best they can and are up against some teams that have budgets for better players,but there again that's no different to when just a few years back Newquay cricket club bought all the trophies for one season.

It makes interesting reading the different opinions of the sendings off from people who were watching the game, perhaps it`s the reason that in LOAF it`s stated "in the referee`s opinion" is what counts.

Mr Manning with all due respect, get off your high horse, what your saying is the refrees opinion is ALWAYS right ......!!!!!!! No not always.

It makes interesting reading the different opinions of the sendings off from people who were watching the game, perhaps it`s the reason that in LOAF it`s stated "in the referee`s opinion" is what counts.

Mr Manning with all due respect, get off your high horse, what your saying is the refrees opinion is ALWAYS right ......!!!!!!! No not always.

We know the referee isn't always right, but his is the one at the end of the day we have to go by. It's not always liked, but over a game, the ref probably gets it right more than wrong.

The Villains, it certainly was not a high horse that I was on as you put it, all I was trying to do was point out the very interesting different points of view from very knowledgeable people who actually saw the incident, I am not saying their opinions were wrong, but it shows how different views of an incident can give different opinions and the last paragraph in Dave`s post sums it up perfectly.

I dont usually choose to comment post match on here but with the benefit of reflecting on observations from others in better positions yesterday, it appears the referee probably had little alternative but to send off the 2 players. I think at the time spectators, officials and both benches (inc myself) just felt aggrieved that it was going to harm the flow and quality of the match.

However, the referee's performance following that big decision on 20 minutes was hard to accept. Not in any way biased towards either team, he just failed to handle the pressure and therefore the attention was then centered on him. A great shame considering the nature of the match between two teams with 100% records going head to head.

The result could quite easily have been different had Penryn turned 2nd half pressure into more goalscoring opportunities, especially considering we had a striker in between the sticks for 80 minutes which included 10 minutes of injury time. Credit must go to the defensive display of the home team but surely Penryn must regret not being able to test Glen Squires between the sticks more, forcing only one real save from him.

Having your GK sent off after 20 minutes surely has more effect than having one of your outfield players sent off in my opinion but best wishes to all at Penryn though for the rest of their season, with the exception of our visit to Kernick next February of course!

Phil Lafferty.

So tom blackler will miss 3 matches now will he it doesnt seem fair newquay cannot appeal it did seem a harsh decison i saw the so called stamp but there was no contact ,and jasa you done 1 hell of a 1 handed save from a real pile driver of a shot i was right behind your goal and that must of hurt your hand but you was at fault with the goal.I would like to apologise to my comments about on newquay hornets and newquay cricket club they are both rebuilding and youngsters these days seem to rather play on ther x boxes than play sport