Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town v Minehead F A Vase on Saturday

Falmouth and Minehead renew their F A battles on Saturday-this time in the F A Vase

For the first time ever Minehead from the Somerset County League (Step 7) start as underdogs

All previous encounters (F A Cup-Trophy-Vase) the North Somerset club have played in a superior league.

The clubs have met 11 times (all in F A Competition) with honours even

P11 W4 D3 L4

1976/77 F A Cup 4th.Q R Minehead of the Southern League Premier after a 1-1 draw at Bickland won the replay 3-0 to play in the 1st Round and win 1-0 at Swansea City before bowing out 1-2 at Fratton Park v Portsmouth

The following season 77/78 Falmouth got ample revenge in the F A trophy 1st.round Proper by wiining 3-0 with a hat trick from Joey Scott.

This was the pinnacle period of Minehead's history when they finished as runners up to Wimbledon in the S L Premier which was the feeder league to the Football League (No Conference in those days.

Since then the club has seen a rapid decline in stature

Sample notes copied from Saturdays Match day programme

This was the pinnacle period of Minehead's history when they finished as runners up to Wimbledon in the S L Premier which was the feeder league to the Football League (No Conference in those days.

That was in the days of election/re-election Mike.

Yes I know it was in the days of "The Old Pals Act"

Wimbledon got the Football League "Nod" does anyone know who they replaced?

I Guess by the name Treyew is a Truro city supporter, & cannot forgive Falmouth for beating Truro,

I am a Falmouth Town supporter, but when a Cornish side are playing a team from outside of the County I wish them well no matter who they are, still as things are at the Moment it may not be too long before Truro are back playing Falmouth in our League,

Two Truro supporters were at Falmouth two weeks ago, & even they are not happy with what is going on at Truro, with Mr Heaney, & the way the real Truro fans are being treated,

At the end of the day I have no bad feelings towards any City Fans, & I wish them well, because like all of us the club would not survive without them

Up The Town!

Cheers for your Scarborough support-Paul

Scoring

04m.1-0 Joe Lugg Debut goal -finished off after sharp passing play

12m.2-0 Ian Hodges H from corner

14m.2-1 Jack Page-simple goal following good work on the right from Burns

16m 3-1 Matt Drummond -clear on goal

30m 4-1 Ian Hodges -with back to goal swivelled and cracked the ball home via the post

48m. 5-1 Ian Hodges -Header from a corner-completes hat trick

55m.6-1 Karl Turner with cross cum shot from wide out on left

56m.6-2 Stefan Phillips Penalty -foul concede by Shane White on Burns?

62m. 6-3 Chris Newbold low shotpast the advancing Chapman

80m. 7-3 Shane White Header after "Header Tennis" in the box following another corner

Falmouth Lineup-J.Chapman-S.Winnan-K.Turner-S.White-J.Devine-J.Lugg(T.Barwell 70m)-D.Green(L.Wort 83m)-I.Hodges-M.Drummond-M.Vercesi©

Referee Andrew Quinn-Plymouth

NO Falmouth bookings!!!!!

Est.Att 130

First Vase hat trick since Bryn Wheeler at Warminster 2000-01

I notice on the Minehead website that they are still getting over 100 per game at home, whereas their away crowds so far are 12, 64 and 10!

I like the idea of them 'selling' their programmes on line as a PDF.

http://www.mineheada.../2011-09-10.pdf

Selling as PDF? It seems to be available to download as PDF for free!

That's why I used quotation marks. There is a buy icon, but, as you say, they seem to be available for free. They are £1 each when in the cart. Don't know if that's a mistake or it's an honesty box type thing for Minehead fans.

There was a good crowd at Falmouth yesterday, I would say close on 200 if not more,

can anyone confirm, quite a few Truro supporters there, I have to ask the question do they come because Truro were away or is it because, of the history between Truro & Falmouth that they have a warm spot for Falmouth ?

Hammers :c::clapper: :c:

Just read a two page match report in "The West Somerset and Exmoor News" which apart from all the detailed match write up-the main issue was "their defence was largely unable to cope with Falmouth's centre forward Ian Hodges"

Also for you Mark "On a superbly prepared pitch,made lively by a few hours of Cornish mist"

Next the 1st Round Proper on October 22nd Falmouth Town v Buckland Athletic (5-0 v Elmore)

Should be another big occasion at Bickland as the "Bucks" will be in force as another train"jolly" has been hinted at.

There was a good crowd at Falmouth yesterday, I would say close on 200 if not more,

can anyone confirm, quite a few Truro supporters there, I have to ask the question do they come because Truro were away or is it because, of the history between Truro & Falmouth that they have a warm spot for Falmouth ?

Hammers :c::clapper::c:

Just seen the official F A

bulletin and the attendance was logged as 134 (We Estimated 130)

other F A Vase gates

-Penzance 74-Liskeard 43-Tavistock 45-Cullompton 69 Buckland 102 Plymouth Parkway 88-Barnstaple 136