Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth New Signing??????

Alan Carey has told the press he has signed Darren Hicks from Saltash - signed for them on Sunday apparently, except he scored last night for Saltash against Penzance with one of the best goals I've seen at this level.

I doubt he wants to leave such a strong looking team, who could well challenge Buckland from what I've seen so far.

Bit embarrassing!!!

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Darren-boosts-Town-s-options/story-13428260-detail/story.html

Hicks stays with Saltash United after rejecting Falmouth Town offer

trusted-contributor-png8.png

Thursday, September 29, 201101.jpg

KevinMarriottFollow

Saltash United have confirmed that midfield man Darren Hicks is staying with them despite interest from Falmouth Town.

Falmouth manager Alan Carey told the West Briton after Saturday's FA Carlsberg Vase victory over Minehead that he was set to sign Hicks the following day, but the player has decided to stay with the Ashes.

A spokesman for Saltash said Hicks had held talks with Carey but turned down a 'very good offer' from Falmouth to stay at Kimberley Stadium.

Hicks scored a superb goal in Wednesday night's 7-0 win over Penzance at Penlee Park in the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League premier division.

He also scored a hat-trick in the 7-1 win over Torpoint two weeks ago, having only joined Saltash from Torpoint a week before that.

Liskeard Athletic have confirmed that experienced striker Paul Baker suffered a broken leg in Tuesday's 3-0 win over Elburton Villa at Lux Park.

Baker, who has played a major part in Liskeard's excellent start to the season, suffered the injury 20 minutes from time.

Alan Carey has told the press he has signed Darren Hicks from Saltash - signed for them on Sunday apparently, except he scored last night for Saltash against Penzance with one of the best goals I've seen at this level.

I doubt he wants to leave such a strong looking team, who could well challenge Buckland from what I've seen so far.

SportCornwall now saying that Darren Hicks has decided to sign for Falmouth Town (Twitter). He's not playing at Bodmin tonight.

Anyone know what the record is for the most SWPL clubs a player has played for in the same season?

Don't know this answer on this one my friend , but Ryan Richards is a player who springs to mind who is no stranger to the leagues registration officer . Off the top of my head , has he already played for St.Blazey,Torpoint and Liskeard this season ?

Its great to see that loyalty is still strong amongst so many players these days!!! Unfortunately I would imagine its all about the money. Sad times!!

I'm afraid if the clubs are prepared to pay it can't blame the players for taking it, most can't even spell loyalty, good boost to the salary, probably pays the rent or some of the mortgage, so got to take it, if you're on a low to moderate annual salary loyalty does'nt pay the bills £50 to £150 a week does or at least helps.

Alan Carey has told the press he has signed Darren Hicks from Saltash...

Actually he never said that. You need to be more observant Daily Observer.

Bit embarrassing!!!

You'll know all about embarrassment having made that statement. :rolleyes:

Its great to see that loyalty is still strong amongst so many players these days!!! Unfortunately I would imagine its all about the money. Sad times!!

I'm afraid if the clubs are prepared to pay it can't blame the players for taking it, most can't even spell loyalty, good boost to the salary, probably pays the rent or some of the mortgage, so got to take it, if you're on a low to moderate annual salary loyalty does'nt pay the bills £50 to £150 a week does or at least helps.

Agreed it makes sense from the players view financially. Are clubs allowed to pay this? Or is it expenses?

Agreed it makes sense from the players view financially. Are clubs allowed to pay this? Or is it expenses?

I think it's recorded as expenses at the moment, but i've heard the grim reaper aka the taxman is hovering.I think soon anything over a certain amount will need to be declared could make things interesting.

I think it's recorded as expenses at the moment, but i've heard the grim reaper aka the taxman is hovering.I think soon anything over a certain amount will need to be declared could make things interesting.

Contrary to popular belief there is no de-minimus limit here.

ANY amount paid to players is taxable except re-imbursement of bona-fide receipted expenses for AWAY games.

You can't have expenses for travelling to your 'normal' place of employment i.e. home matches.

Depending on the amount involved there may also be employee's and employer's national insurance contributions.

I believe a number of local clubs have been caught by HM Revenue & Customs in recent times and because of high-profile cases like Portsmouth (and to a lesser extent Argyle) you're not going to get much sympathy from HMRC.