Cornwall Football Forum

Mid-week fixtures

Whilst I can appreciate arranging the seasons fixtures must be a very complicated process, I do feel some mid-week fixtures to astound me.

LISKEARD v PENZANCE

PENZANCE v SALTASH

LISKEARD v WITHERIDGE

FALMOUTH v LISKEARD

PENZANCE v CAMELFORD

SALTASH v PENZANCE

Those are just examples!

Why is there no consideration given to the distance/timing when mid-week fixtures are hastily produced?

I think you'll find that the League Secretary puts a tremendous amount of work into the fixtures and I don't think "hastily produced" does him any justice at all.

If you thought for a moment about the number of games involved then you may think differently.

A 20 team league means each club has 38 league games. Then there's FA Cup, FA Vase, Cornwall Senior Cup / Devon St Lukes Bowl and the Throgmorton Cup. A good run in one / several / all of these could see clubs getting towards 50 games for the season.

There's probably 38 or 39 Saturdays in a season but with the modern tendency to more readily postpone matches you're always going to loose a few Saturdays. Many clubs now prefer not to play several extra matches over Christmas / New Year and Easter which in the past was a good way to get games played.

I'm also aware that the League Secretary will normally accomodate reasonable requests for postponements for weddings, stag weekends, bar mitzvahs etc.

So you've got to have mid-week games, and the clubs who are successfull in the cups will inevitably have more of them.

The "local derby" games like Saltash vs Liskeard for example tend to be Boxing Day / Easter so inevitably teams have to travel longer distances in mid-week.

I'm also aware that the League Secretary will normally accomodate reasonable requests for postponements for weddings, stag weekends, bar mitzvahs etc.

So you've got to have mid-week games, and the clubs who are successfull in the cups will inevitably have more of them.

To be fair I'm not sure that wedding, stag weekends, bar mitzvahs are really reasonable requests for postponements of games.........

There is more moaning about cancelling games because of "water logged/frozen pitches"............ and now they want to postpone them because of the above...........Do BOTH team have to agree? What about postponements because of injuries?

Made me smile any way...........

I think he's just commenting on teams having to travel long distances midweek; he's not saying those games are this week. Mind you, I don't remember him mentioning it when it was Town visiting Lux Park for a midweek game a few weeks back. ;) Town are home to Liskeard on the Tuesday the 25th of October.

I think he's just commenting on teams having to travel long distances midweek; he's not saying those games are this week. Mind you, I don't remember him mentioning it when it was Town visiting Lux Park for a midweek game a few weeks back. ;) Town are home to Liskeard on the Tuesday the 25th of October.

Yes Aberfalmam, my posting was entirely about mid-week games which had teams travelling long distances.

I actually attending your fiture away to Liskeard and had sympathy your your team having to travel so far mid-week.