Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL Results - Saturday,1st October 2011

St Dennis 0-3 Porthleven

Brad sent off just after half time for head but, tough time of it lately not having a big enough squad to cover injuries and suspensions, and drafting in 2nd teamers, porth made us look like a duchy side today, never mind, another loss, and they will keep coming if we play like that every week lol, good luck to porth for the rest of the season

Newquay AFC 2 v 2 Helston Ath

To be fair Helston deserved to win this game totally outplayed Newquay in the 1st half only going 1.0 ahead (through a scrappy goal but no more than they deserved) Newquay tried to change things in the 2nd half bringing on a couple of substitutes 1 of those players Shaun Middleton totally changed the game mid way through the 2nd half. He showed the aggresion that Newquay was missing in the 1st half and 2 quick goals put Newquay 2-1 up with the second with a cracker from Paul Hampshire but then again Helston uped their game and fought back to deseverdly equalise and then could have took all the points home without some poor finishing and excellent goalkeeping. Newquay did have some players missing but no excuses Helston thouroughly derserved their point and probably more. And before anyone says i am not being bias to Helston i am a Newquay fan born and bred

Pastyman... the abuse was from both sides...but mostly from Withy..he gave handball outside the box which resulted in a fine goal from the kick, then a penalty for a push on hodges as he was looking to get on the end of a cross, the manager for withy was send off, and then there were some horror tackles and the ref didint want to give any more cards it seemed, some of the comments to the ref mostly from withy players and the fans, we uncalled for ..why would you want to be a ref!!!

I packed it in because of this type of abuse, the players didint help the situation, they started to kick lumps of each other, and moaned at every decision, that was both sides....one horror challenge from behind by withy centre half but decided no card... this was after he was scared off by the abuse he had recieved.

Saltash going well Pastyman you must be pleased...!!!!!!

Pastyman... the abuse was from both sides...but mostly from Withy..he gave handball outside the box which resulted in a fine goal from the kick, then a penalty for a push on hodges as he was looking to get on the end of a cross, the manager for withy was send off, and then there were some horror tackles and the ref didint want to give any more cards it seemed, some of the comments to the ref mostly from withy players and the fans, we uncalled for ..why would you want to be a ref!!!

I packed it in because of this type of abuse, the players didint help the situation, they started to kick lumps of each other, and moaned at every decision, that was both sides....one horror challenge from behind by withy centre half but decided no card... this was after he was scared off by the abuse he had recieved.

I sometimes feel the Referee makes or breaks his chances of controlling a game. A clear and concise word with each team in the changing rooms to outline how is going to control the game, what he will/will not accept and consistency, make his life a lot easier. Should his requests be ignored, he has his cards.

Yep, Saltash doing well this season and long may it continue. Bit of a frustrating game this afternoon, but it happens.

I sometimes feel the Referee makes or breaks his chances of controlling a game. A clear and concise word with each team in the changing rooms to outline how is going to control the game, what he will/will not accept and consistency, make his life a lot easier. Should his requests be ignored, he has his cards.

Yep, Saltash doing well this season and long may it continue. Bit of a frustrating game this afternoon, but it happens.

Utter b*****ks! Under no circumstances should a referee go into the changing rooms before the game to explain how he will control a game. It completely sets him up for a fall if he doesnt stick to the exact words and ways he has stated he will judge each decision. I have seen it quite a few times, the players merely sigh and think hes a complete ass then each time the fella ended doing the opposite of what he said in the changing room. Ive also asked several refs that I know and they ALL said there is now way anyone should do it. Players know the rules, some of them anyway, so its up to the players if they choose to break them.

If you saw a police man in a car park would you expect him to tell you to stick to the speed limit, put your belt on, dont use your mobile etc otherwise he will do this, that, the other? They, like refs, are there to enforce the laws, not to keep reminding us of them!

Utter b*****ks! Under no circumstances should a referee go into the changing rooms before the game to explain how he will control a game. It completely sets him up for a fall if he doesnt stick to the exact words and ways he has stated he will judge each decision. I have seen it quite a few times, the players merely sigh and think hes a complete ass then each time the fella ended doing the opposite of what he said in the changing room. Ive also asked several refs that I know and they ALL said there is now way anyone should do it. Players know the rules, some of them anyway, so its up to the players if they choose to break them.

If you saw a police man in a car park would you expect him to tell you to stick to the speed limit, put your belt on, dont use your mobile etc otherwise he will do this, that, the other? They, like refs, are there to enforce the laws, not to keep reminding us of them!

Its you view that leaves players open to red/yellow cards.

How can players know the boundaries of various officials, if they are not told them!!!!

All I asks there to be is consistency, something very much missing from the game.

Incidentally, I trust you are paying for you "link" on this site!!!!

if he was scared off by the abuse then he has to ask himself if he is up to the job - he can ask for anyone to be removed from the gound and can send off/book as many players as he feels necessary - surely the county will back him or at least investigate and/or issue sanctions against the offending clubs - wont that stop it? Come everybody - man up!!!

The game I was at today the big centre half had a freekick given against him for a foul, standing 5 yards away he shouted at the ref what game are you watching 3 times,

The ref just ignored him, if this is the lack of authority that officials have these days at this standard then here is no hope,

Take his name and brandish the yellow card!

Have to agree with gillo10, one of the worst things a ref can do is to go into the changing rooms and give the teams a lecture, it just sets yourself up for a fall plus the team are most probably not listening anyhow, all they want to do is to get out there and play. To the Cat you know what would have happened on any game of mine.

Why do players need to be told the boundaries per ref? Surely all refs adhere and apply the same laws(yes there is some sarcasm here) By personal experience I have given refs a mouthful, some have ignored it, some have told me to shut up, some have given me a bollocking, some have had to complete the relevant paperwork. Surely if a players swears at ANY ref he should be sent off? Doesnt happen! Surely if a player swings a punch he should walk? Doesnt happen! As I said we all know the rules so its up to us, as players, to stick to those rules. Its up to the refs to apply those laws. If they choose not too then players, being human beings, will push the boundaries as far as possible.

I know its not always possible, depending on the incident, but surely if the refs applied the law then players wouldnt need telling "where his boundaries are" ie if a player in Trelawney 5 swears at you, he gets a red. If a player at Bickland, Treyew or Priory Park swears at the same ref then he gets a red. Trust me, this DOES NOT happen!

As for the links then no, Im not paying anything, nor have I been asked too. But thanks for the nudge, a few people may actually look at them now, do you charge comission? If Dave or Richard feel the need for the links to be removed Im sure they will say so and I would have absolutely no problem doing so as Im not ridiculously petty

if he was scared off by the abuse then he has to ask himself if he is up to the job - he can ask for anyone to be removed from the gound and can send off/book as many players as he feels necessary - surely the county will back him or at least investigate and/or issue sanctions against the offending clubs - wont that stop it? Come everybody - man up!!!

le boss........ Just interested, have you ever refereed a football match?

tyson, of course I am ok, could you expand on your comment please, a PM will do if you do not want to put it on the forum and I will answer. On another point , this Respect thing, yesterday the away team manager did not even speak to me that`s before during and after the game, the only words were shouted from the dugout and you can guess as to their content, the away team won !, home team brilliant well organised and good hospitality plus good food laid on and all the players shook my hand after the game, I cannot say the same about the away side.

i have actually

i have actually

Just that your comments of "surely the county will back him or at least investigate and/or issue sancstions againts the offending clubs - wont that stop it...." seem a little naive seeing as you have been in that position and if you did as you say - book/send off players......... WHAT did your county FA do to those clubs that were constant offenders?

Have to agree with gillo10, one of the worst things a ref can do is to go into the changing rooms and give the teams a lecture, it just sets yourself up for a fall plus the team are most probably not listening anyhow, all they want to do is to get out there and play. To the Cat you know what would have happened on any game of mine.

Please tell me, B Manning, are you telling me referees never enter the changing rooms prior to a match! As I have witnessed it on several occasionsin the past.

Pastyman, how do you read into my post that I say referee`s never enter a teams changing room and give a lecture, what I say is that for a referee to do that in my opinion is asking for problems and my advice to any referee is not to do it, the players are not listening anyhow and probably are glad to see the back of the referee when he leaves.. Also i will never give a few words at the toss up as to what I expect, a couple of games ago we tossed the coin decided what team had the kick and the two captains stood waiting I said lets go then, both asked me was I not going to say anything, I replied well we all know why we are he so lets have a game. That was appreciated by both captains.

Ok, let's have the opinion of some of the many players/ex-players who subscribe to this site.

Do you agree with my comment or that of B Manning?

I one for do not enjoy watching yellow or red cards waved around at a match, as it simply spoils the game. To have players sent off ruins the game.

If as a player I can tell one referee/asst referee to **** off and not get punished, yet at another match, I get sent off, there is no consistency.

Torpoint 1 - 0 Ivybridge

L Avis-Riordan

I watched the game torpoints keeper was same one as in the Bodmin game I think.seems to catch most balls in the air and is a great kicker hopefully it's up the league we go after last 2 wins

Lets hope so....Was always going to take abit of time to settle with players coming/going, alot was expected after last season, the good start at Buckland was unfortunatly not carried on coupled with a few poor results, players decided it was time to leave after 2 games. the only way then is up.........

The game I was at today the big centre half had a freekick given against him for a foul, standing 5 yards away he shouted at the ref what game are you watching 3 times,

The ref just ignored him, if this is the lack of authority that officials have these days at this standard then here is no hope,

Take his name and brandish the yellow card!

There is lack of authority outside of football all over this country and indeed the world so what chance has one bloke got in the middle of a field for 90mins.It's all down to respect or lack of it, some say you earn respect but i disagree a ref should be respected from the minute he walks in the ground to the minute he leaves.

Do Prem/FL referees talk to captains/players/managers before games? I weas watching the Liverpool derby on TV yesterday and a comment was made that the referee went to see both clubs during the days leading up to the game - presumably to explain his 'interpretation' of the laws/rules. Obviously that's not possible (or necessary) in local football but unless there is consistency in refereeing, which will never happen, it could be a useful exercise for the referee to speak to the captain or manager with the expectation that they will pass on the message to their respective teams. For example, one referee may have a zero tolerence to swearing and others may allow a certain amount of it. For example, a few seasons ago I waddled around during the first game of the season constantly 'effing & jeffing' (not at the referee) and the ref took a lenient view. In the following game my team mate got hit in the 'groin' with the ball and let out an expletive due to the pain and was promprtly sent off by the referee!

I can understand B Manning's point about players ignoring what the referee is saying in the changing room before the game but as least the ref can say that he'd already warned the teams about the way he intended to referee. Of course, non of this would be necessary if there was consistency between referees but this will not happen. This isn't a pop at referees because they have an incredibly difficult job to do and can be put under incredible pressure by some teams/managers. They deserve the same respect that is given to rugby referees or cricket umpires, without them we wouldn't have a game. You can tell how difficult a job it is by the number of ex-professional players who put something back into the game by refereeing!!!

Ok, let's have the opinion of some of the many players/ex-players who subscribe to this site.

Do you agree with my comment or that of B Manning?

I one for do not enjoy watching yellow or red cards waved around at a match, as it simply spoils the game. To have players sent off ruins the game.

If as a player I can tell one referee/asst referee to **** off and not get punished, yet at another match, I get sent off, there is no consistency.

Get some respect and don't do it at all my friend!

Sets a great example to the kids on the sidelines!

Like it or not the referee is the only one with the authority come match day. Same as in any other place, at work there is "the boss", school you have your teacher etc .... what that person says goes, final. Mistakes are made everywhere but you wouldn't turn around to your boss at work and tell them to **** off?! Yes its not exactly the same comparison but there are consequences still. Frustration or not we're all adults and im sure we have the capability to bite our tongue instead of ranting at a referee on a saturday then being shocked at getting a card for it.

There is no need for this language in the game . This sort of behaviour is now within the youth game also.

You do not get this in rugby or cricket , why ?????? because they would get penalised.

If I were a ref , I would just send you off .............. no arguements.

Get on with the game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What comments pastyman, you seem to have introduced red and yellow cards into the post and that was not what the original post was about. if memory serves me correctly it was about referee`s going into changing rooms and giving lectures.

Your responses to my comments totally vindicates why players are so frustrated with officials.

Red and yellow cards are very relevant to this discussion, as they are the punishments given to players.

Incidentally, is B Manning your real name and are you in fact a referee?

Ye gods, a discussion about referee`s giving a pre match lecture, to a red and yellow card poll and now to as an excuse as to why players are frustrated by officials. No B Manning is not my real name and yes in fact I am a referee and an assessor, one who is well experienced who reached a high supply league before age caught up with me, i hope this satisfies your curiosity, to help you assess my experience a quick tally reaches about 2500 matches on which I have officiated.

There is lack of authority outside of football all over this country and indeed the world so what chance has one bloke got in the middle of a field for 90mins.It's all down to respect or lack of it...

So why don't the officials of other sports have the same problems? I think this is a football issue in the main and it is down to the culture within the game. I agree with those that say we need consistency and the best way to get that is zero tolerance.

Pastyman, as a player I always laughed when a ref came into the changing room or got us in a huddle to explain how he was the boss, what he says goes blah blah blah. It immediately puts the back up of all players as you think he is going to be over zealous, use little or no common sense and, as I said earlier, will normally go against what he has said. Normally the refs who have done this use the saturday as a punishment for clearly being no good at the game, being picked last for the team and this is his only chance of some form of power and control. He then promptly ruins the game. Trust me, it makes absolutely NO difference!

I have said many times that if ALL refs applied the laws then players would soon stop. I have played with refs that I know I can argue with and say exactly what I want, the next week I ask a simple question regarding a decision and I get threatened with being sent off. Consistency is a major factor, at ALL levels, respect going both ways will help massively. Some refs are so arrogant you cannot talk to them, others you can say "why have you given that?" the ref give a simple quick response and there is no argument. I know as players we have no right to question the ref but EVERY player appreciates a good rapport with the ref and therefore enjoys the game more therefore argues and moans far less.

I will use the police analogy again if I can? If the police had a zero tolerance levels and the full backing( and prison space) then crime would come rocketing down. As it is most scallies are unfortunate if they get a caution for putting someone in hospital therfore there is no deterant or fear. As many refs at all levels do VERY little about swearing and dissent players will push the boundaries

There are little problems with other sports as the players know full well they will they will be punished, in football players are not, from Rooney, Terry all the way down the leagues to Sunday league. But, lets not start the "football is a thugs game" nonsense, watch a game of rugby or two and look at the thuggery, punches, eye gouging on display that goes completly unpunished

Well said gillo10, but I will take you to task slightly, yes there are referee`s that you cannot talk to but on the other hand there are some players who you as a ref cannot talk to. Ask Young Percy, he will confirm that I like to talk to players during a game and it was appreciated, but the following week and this week in trying to speak to some players all it did was cause me problems all they wanted to do was to get into a discussion in which they were not going to listen to what I had to say and then make sarcastic remarks to me, end of me talking to them. So unfortunately it`s not black and white and thats from both sides. Plus it`s not only referee`s who can ruin games players can make a good job of that themselves. i hope we meet up at some time or might have already you never know.

Apologies, certainly didnt mean it to sound like its all on the refs. I think everyone involved needs to take responsibilty to making the Saturday more enjoyable. You come across as the sort of ref that will give an honest answer to a players query, if asked in a civilised manner obviously. Did you play in your younger years? Most refs that have the better reputation amongst players have played, although not all ex players make a decent ref.

As anyone Ive played with or under would tell you I can be a horrible player but when a ref gives a simple explanation then Im man enough to realise there is no longer an argument, it kind of drums home that there wasnt a mistake purposely made. I once asked how a ref hadnt seen a deliberate kick at me, as play went on with me moaning at him he simply says "sorry Dunc, if I'd seen it Id have given it" end of argument, great refereeing in my opinion (Paul from the St Just area). Others, like those with very little hair and initials of AH I believe to be from the Camborne Redruth area, I ask politely how he disallowed a goal that no opposition player or coach appealed for any infringement he turns around and arrogantly says "well, it doesnt really matter what anyone else thinks as mine is the only opinion that counts in the whole ground" Therefore he now has a whole squad of very angry blokes on his back purely because of his arrogance.

I take my hat off to all refs and club linesman who give up their time to make sure players have a game on a Saturday afternoon, but I do think that some could make it a lot easier for themselves. On the same note a lot of players, myself especially included back in the day, could make theirs and that of the refs time a lot more enjoyable. I suspect this is a debate that could run and run and run......

Maybe we have met but while you remain so elusive I guess we'll never know!! If youve refereed Falmouth combo over the last 6 years then Im probably the one in midfield that was moaning at you, a lot if you didnt talk to me nicely!

Apologies, certainly didnt mean it to sound like its all on the refs. I think everyone involved needs to take responsibilty to making the Saturday more enjoyable. You come across as the sort of ref that will give an honest answer to a players query, if asked in a civilised manner obviously. Did you play in your younger years? Most refs that have the better reputation amongst players have played, although not all ex players make a decent ref.

As anyone Ive played with or under would tell you I can be a horrible player but when a ref gives a simple explanation then Im man enough to realise there is no longer an argument, it kind of drums home that there wasnt a mistake purposely made. I once asked how a ref hadnt seen a deliberate kick at me, as play went on with me moaning at him he simply says "sorry Dunc, if I'd seen it Id have given it" end of argument, great refereeing in my opinion (Paul from the St Just area). Others, like those with very little hair and initials of AH I believe to be from the Camborne Redruth area, I ask politely how he disallowed a goal that no opposition player or coach appealed for any infringement he turns around and arrogantly says "well, it doesnt really matter what anyone else thinks as mine is the only opinion that counts in the whole ground" Therefore he now has a whole squad of very angry blokes on his back purely because of his arrogance.

I take my hat off to all refs and club linesman who give up their time to make sure players have a game on a Saturday afternoon, but I do think that some could make it a lot easier for themselves. On the same note a lot of players, myself especially included back in the day, could make theirs and that of the refs time a lot more enjoyable. I suspect this is a debate that could run and run and run......

Maybe we have met but while you remain so elusive I guess we'll never know!! If youve refereed Falmouth combo over the last 6 years then Im probably the one in midfield that was moaning at you, a lot if you didnt talk to me nicely!

I think you mentioned 'Mannings 1st name earlier, and as far as I know he's not related to last season's senior cup ref.

thought this was a results thread????

in reply 2 l.ricks cant blame the 2nd teamers as we were playin our own game-im afraid the blame lands firmly at braddys feet 4 being a piece of cheese m8,oh n the fact that u had muzzy n peanut out-2 of ur BEST players doesnt help but things will turn around sooner rather than l8r,especially if grandad ups ur goal bonus lol

I think you mentioned 'Mannings 1st name earlier, and as far as I know he's not related to last season's senior cup ref.

i know B manning

lovely chap

always stops and says hello if i see him out and about