Cornwall Football Forum

Relegation from Premier Division

Coming up to the half way point of the Season. Fight for the Championship is going to be very Close. What about Relegation.

They say Clubs who are in the bottom 3 of the Barclay's Premieship at the turn of the New Year will end up going down.

In the case of the SWPL 2 teams go down. Are the 2 teams going to be St Blazey and Royal Marine or are there to be any outsiders being thrown into the mix.

Why should a team that finishes outside the promotion places get promoted?

What makes a team finishing fourth in a lower division better than a team that finishes in a relegation place in a higher league?

where are the teams going that get relegated from the western league?

Should a team that wins a league be made to go up instead of staying a big fish in a small pond in a lower league?

Just a few questions for you to answer,( albeit everyones opinion rather than factual comments)

Why should a team that finishes outside the promotion places get promoted?

What makes a team finishing fourth in a lower division better than a team that finishes in a relegation place in a higher league?

it doesnt make them better, it is down to the league who they accept into it. They will have to decide between teams from the swpl and western league div 1

where are the teams going that get relegated from the western league?

Teams promoted from the SWPL to the Western league will go to the Western Prem, therefor the teams relegated from the western Prem will be relegated to western league div1.

Should a team that wins a league be made to go up instead of staying a big fish in a small pond in a lower league?

yes, else it will stagnate, and people will be having this same stupid discussion for years to come

Just a few questions for you to answer,( albeit everyones opinion rather than factual comments)

Speaking as a Parkway fan , I would love to see the club keep on pushing forwards and go into the Toolstation League . However , promotion has to be earned on the pitch , I do not believe that a club should be promoted if it is does not rightfully claim it by finishing in a promotion place ( be it top two or three , not entirely sure of the regulations).Promotion must be earned on the pitch ,not in a committee room . It makes a sham of the league if sides outside of the top places go up , but sides that finish as champions decline promotion season after season (looking at you Bodmin Town)

I do not think we quite good enough this season to nudge into those top places , especially after dropping points at home to Ivybridge and Cullompton , and we are possibly not quite as strong squad wise as last season,but applying in itself (if this is true) gives a major statement of intent . The opening of the changing rooms is a big step forward ,coming only a few years after moving to an all new pitch and the installing of superb floodlights, this will hopefully be followed by a bar/social club in the not too distant future .Just need to sort those damned car park potholes/ankle deep puddles that I invariably end up treading in after evening games .

I have said it before , and I'll say it again, a team in a city the size of Plymouth , with the amount of football fanatics living their,should be able to support a decent team (on top of Argye) of step 5 or even higher .

yes, else it will stagnate, and people will be having this same stupid discussion for years to come

I guy who I work with is heavily involved with Brixham Rugby Club . We regularly have discussions concerning non-league football and rugby and the differences in culture and the way it is run . Anyway, he has told me that in rugby , any team that wins promotion on the playing field , and opts not to take it , faces an automatic four division relegation . Something for the English FA to consider ?

How would Bodmin Town fancy life in the Duchy League ?

To be fair, you have to say, is it worth going up?

No local games, no big crowds like a Blazey v Austell boxing day.

More travelling which so many seem to hate.

No away fans, you hardly get any from clubs in this league so god nos what it would be like with longer trips.

Personally I would have liked to have seen St Blazey give it ago years ago but im not sure if its worth long term.

To be fair, you have to say, is it worth going up?

No local games, no big crowds like a Blazey v Austell boxing day.

More travelling which so many seem to hate.

No away fans, you hardly get any from clubs in this league so god nos what it would be like with longer trips.

Personally I would have liked to have seen St Blazey give it ago years ago but im not sure if its worth long term.

If teams don't think it's worth going up then why are they playing in the pyramid system? As for travelling Cornwalls top womens teams travel the country so do the rugby teams, darts teams, bowls teams, hockey teams, tiddleywinks teams etc so no excuses, it's just lack of ambition, teams who win the SWPL premier should be made to take promotion or be relagated. As for the fans if Bodmin were playing say Willand to wln the league fans would be there in there droves.

To an outsider it would seem that the object of setting up the CSWPL has been clearly defeated.Moreover,only the Devon clubs have expressed any interest in moving foreward.What does this tell us ??

That tells me that we might aswell go back to the Cornwall senior league where the teams that pay the most money win the league and cup year in year out. That would mean no status in the national league system. ie no vase no FAcup if Cornish teams are not careful the FA will make the decision for them and we will be outcasts.

The problem is, if a team takes promotion and does well, the crowds will come and watch, but if any team begins to struggle and their playing teams that no one could care less about seeing, the cornish way is to not bother, as sad as it may seem, thats the way it is. Look at Truro, playing teams that have never played in Cornwall and higer up the pyramid then any cornish team has ever been but apart from the odd big game when promotion was about to be secured, you can hardly say the crowds are fantastic giving the location and amount of people who could easily watch them.

Lets be honest, even the good people of Plymouth struggle to support their league club when they arnt pushing for promotion. The hard core are always there but the fair weather fans disappear at the slight hint of drizzle. :wacko:

Paul, it`s not just the Cornish way, I recall during the eighties my local team were doing very well in the Southern League you had to queue at the turnstiles to get in but the moment the team started to lose and drop down the League the attendance dwindled, so I would say it`s a countrywide thing not just in Cornwall.

Question was not who was going up, but who do you think will get relegated. Are we scared you may offend certain teams.

The obvious candidates at this stage are St Blazey and Royal Marines.

I think Penzance could be dragged into the mix. Is it 3 points from 9 games? And more games played that the ones below them.

Elburton are perennial strugglers but their recent good run has given them a bit of breathing space.

Question was not who was going up, but who do you think will get relegated. Are we scared you may offend certain teams.

The obvious candidates at this stage are St Blazey and Royal Marines.

I think Penzance could be dragged into the mix. Is it 3 points from 9 games? And more games played that the ones below them.

Elburton are perennial strugglers but their recent good run has given them a bit of breathing space.

Yes, Elburton have 'got out of jail' on more then once. They have got a bit os space between them and teams below them. At this stage St Blazey and Royal Marine are favourites to go down, but as everyone knows a couple of wins can change that. Personally I think St Blazey will definately go down. Royal Marines will pull out the stops to make sure they do not go down