Cornwall Football Forum

ABOUT NEWQUAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOOK, READING ALL THE POSTS ABOUT NEWQUAY,AND NOT PLAYING LOCAL LADS,ALL THE MONEY THEY HAVE,BRINGING IN PLAYERS ? ? BLAH BLAH.................................. WELL, TALKING TO A FEW COMMITEE MEMBERS,THIS IS WHAT I WAS TOLD. THE COMMITEE HAVE WORKED HARD AFTER LAST SEASON TO TRY AN RAISE FUNDS FOR THE CLUB TO PROGRESS. THEY HELD A TRIBUTE CONCERT IN THE CIRCUS TENT DURINGTHE SUMMER,THEY DO ALL THE WORK AT THE CLUB, ie, RUN THE BAR,LOOK AFTER THE PITCH.MAN THE CANTEEN,MAN THE TURNSTILE,RUN A 50 50 DRAW. ALL DONE BY MEMBERS AND THIER WIVES FOR FREE, THUS ENABALING THE CLUB TO EMPLOY PERSON THUS SAVING. THEY HAVE A MAIN SPONSOR IN FLYBE,AN NUMEROUS LOCAL ONES, CREATING AN INCOME. THEY HAVE GOT THE CLUB BACK ON ITS FEET. NEW FOOTBALL MANAGER AN HIS STAFF AN NEW PLAYERS TO TAKE THE CLUB FURTHER. A YOUTH SYSTEM......ETC. SO WHAT EXACTLY IS WRONG WITH THIS,AND WHAT HAVE NEWQUAY DONE SO WRONG TO KEEP GETTING SNIDE REMARKS ABOUT TRYING TO IMPROVE AND DO AS WELL AS THEY POSSIBLY CAN. WILL SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME,BECAUSE IAM BAFFLED BY SOME OF THE COMMENTS ON THIS SITE...... ISNT THAT WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT ?????????

to be honest mate, the longer you boys keep biting evertime something is said the longer it will go on....

Just nod your head.., agree with what there saying n then soon enough they will get bored of noone biting back

OK, point taken, ill try and find my dummy lol. doesnt answer my question tho. i know.....ill shut up

LOOK, READING ALL THE POSTS ABOUT NEWQUAY,AND NOT PLAYING LOCAL LADS,ALL THE MONEY THEY HAVE,BRINGING IN PLAYERS ? ? BLAH BLAH.................................. WELL, TALKING TO A FEW COMMITEE MEMBERS,THIS IS WHAT I WAS TOLD. THE COMMITEE HAVE WORKED HARD AFTER LAST SEASON TO TRY AN RAISE FUNDS FOR THE CLUB TO PROGRESS. THEY HELD A TRIBUTE CONCERT IN THE CIRCUS TENT DURINGTHE SUMMER,THEY DO ALL THE WORK AT THE CLUB, ie, RUN THE BAR,LOOK AFTER THE PITCH.MAN THE CANTEEN,MAN THE TURNSTILE,RUN A 50 50 DRAW. ALL DONE BY MEMBERS AND THIER WIVES FOR FREE, THUS ENABALING THE CLUB TO EMPLOY PERSON THUS SAVING. THEY HAVE A MAIN SPONSOR IN FLYBE,AN NUMEROUS LOCAL ONES, CREATING AN INCOME. THEY HAVE GOT THE CLUB BACK ON ITS FEET. NEW FOOTBALL MANAGER AN HIS STAFF AN NEW PLAYERS TO TAKE THE CLUB FURTHER. A YOUTH SYSTEM......ETC. SO WHAT EXACTLY IS WRONG WITH THIS,AND WHAT HAVE NEWQUAY DONE SO WRONG TO KEEP GETTING SNIDE REMARKS ABOUT TRYING TO IMPROVE AND DO AS WELL AS THEY POSSIBLY CAN. WILL SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME,BECAUSE IAM BAFFLED BY SOME OF THE COMMENTS ON THIS SITE...... ISNT THAT WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT ?????????

A very honest comment,N.G.I. I think what these snipers require is an honest statement from you regarding their questions( and it doesn,t bother me either way) :DO NEWQUAY PAY THIER PLAYERS ? This response will end all (jealous?) speculation.

Of course players get some expenses, just nothing like as much as most folk think.

I have explained previously how and why Newquay pay expenses this season, Never Give In has covered most points above. If others don't like it, perhaps they should try to emulate us, get off their backsides and work hard for their club or, they can just watch two games a season. If they actually went to support or play for a club every week, they might appreciate the hard work involved in keeping a club afloat.

The money issue is really irrelevant. Who cares and what does it matter? Some just use it as an excuse to big themselves up when they get a point/win rather than concentrate on how well THEY actually played!! It's at both times childish and pedantic. I

watched Match of the day earlier in the week and saw man city, arsenal, liverpool and chelsea all draw and not one manager or player made any comments on how much the players on the other team got, they praised their team for their efforts!!

What is important is that Newquay AFC are trying to progress out of the league into the top footballing league in the county and do this you cannot solely rely on local talent. What they are looking to do is provide the best possible standard of football available in the county for local players and youngsters that are good enough (or have ambition) to play at that best possible level or use it as a stepping stone to higher leagues.

To many people on here selfish and are more interested in their clubs rather than the development of the players and youngsters. Players should move on to better teams and higher leagues when they are ready and should be encouraged to do so (especially the youngsters)

The money issue is really irrelevant. Who cares and what does it matter? Some just use it as an excuse to big themselves up when they get a point/win rather than concentrate on how well THEY actually played!! It's at both times childish and pedantic. I

watched Match of the day earlier in the week and saw man city, arsenal, liverpool and chelsea all draw and not one manager or player made any comments on how much the players on the other team got, they praised their team for their efforts!!

What is important is that Newquay AFC are trying to progress out of the league into the top footballing league in the county and do this you cannot solely rely on local talent. What they are looking to do is provide the best possible standard of football available in the county for local players and youngsters that are good enough (or have ambition) to play at that best possible level or use it as a stepping stone to higher leagues.

To many people on here selfish and are more interested in their clubs rather than the development of the players and youngsters. Players should move on to better teams and higher leagues when they are ready and should be encouraged to do so (especially the youngsters)

What a load of tosh !!! When Mr Mewton leaves and one way or the other the rest of the money dries up then you will be asking your local boys to step in and play for nothink because all the £boys will of moved onto new pastures for more £££. So what you are saying about players moving on is there should be no loyalty. Just look at Camelford,G, Helston all teams with local players and are not paying players.Of course people are selfish about there clubs because they want the best for there clubs they don't enjoy having there local players moving to other clubs, and if you honestly think the players at Newquay won't move to one of the bigger clubs(Falmouth,Bodmin,Parkway ie:)for a extra fiver, then mate you need to find somethink else to do on your Saturday afternoons.

If my memory serves me correctly "The Judge" was complaining about teams such as Truro, Perranporth & Penryn paying players a couple of seasons ago, now suddenly its ok!!! I also remember him saying that he didn't want Mewton being involved with Newquay, once again suddenly its ok!!! Double stantdards??? :blink:

Python

Do you honestly think that players at Helston & Camelford are not getting expenses,think again.

Newquay do have local boys playing Middleton (injured) Rigby(injured) Bradshaw ,Hilton, Hampshire, Robertson ,

Mckewan ,Crane, Welden, Carne,Arscot plus some great youngsters coming through from the seconds who have bee given a game

I hope that we remain a friendly organised club that all players wish to belong to that has been proved this year

you always get players moving for a quid extra and if thats the case we would have lost half our squad this year as the approaches to our players proves, but they have remained loyal except for a couple (not getting regular games)because they like the club and management.

I have always said that a team comprised from Newquay and Godolphin would be good enough to compete in the premier division.

Agree with The Python to a certain extent. I think it's laudable for a club to work very hard to find some funding to improve the standard of their teams. However, at the same time they need to have a strategy to develop local talent and not be overly reliant on the mercenaries (this isn't a pop at Newquay as I have no idea what their strategy/situation is). We all know what devastation can be wreaked when the money dries up or the manager moves on and takes the players with him - some clubs just go into free fall.

As far as I can recall, I have never moaned at Penryn for anything. As for Truro, well enough said, we all know the problem there. With Perranporth, the situation they are now in speaks for itself. If you allow one man to run the show, then you are asking for trouble.

Trevor Mewton is Football General Manager, I can't say I like they guy or talk with him that much. However, he is overseeing football development from the Minis (aged 5) to the SWPL side, if there is anyone more qualified in Cornish football do let me know. Thankfully, we have a hard working Chairman and committee who have been busy raising standards across the board. Sponsors appreciate seeing a return on their investment, the fans appreciate seeing good football, I can't see what your problem is ?

If anyone thinks Mewton is bankrolling the club, they are seriously mistaken. All income is generated by sponsorship, advertising, special events, gate receipts and the tea-hut, the football takes nothing from the clubhouse, it is self financing. Too many clubs have paid monies they didn't have, we will not be going down that road.

Newquay AFC will be the biggest and best club in Cornish football in the not too distant future. Truro will eventually fall from grace and the roots up investment that The Peppermints are making right now, will pay off. You can't buy stability, you have to build it.

Python

Do you honestly think that players at Helston & Camelford are not getting expenses,think again.

Newquay do have local boys playing Middleton (injured) Rigby(injured) Bradshaw ,Hilton, Hampshire, Robertson ,

Mckewan ,Crane, Welden, Carne,Arscot plus some great youngsters coming through from the seconds who have bee given a game

I hope that we remain a friendly organised club that all players wish to belong to that has been proved this year

you always get players moving for a quid extra and if thats the case we would have lost half our squad this year as the approaches to our players proves, but they have remained loyal except for a couple (not getting regular games)because they like the club and management.

I have always said that a team comprised from Newquay and Godolphin would be good enough to compete in the premier division.

Bazzer, Camelford do not get any expenses, they play for the love of the game, against Bodmin 1 bloke on holiday came to the match late and for half hour thought Camels were the team 2nd in the league until someone put him right. You can't doubt Bodmin's and some other clubs ability but that comes at a price. Camels have only got a couple players that are top drawer and they are loyal the team have been together for several years that is why they over acheive, passion and ambition to do well and all good mates who play for each other. How many other clubs in the top 10 of the SWPL premier can say that?

Trevor Mewton is Football General Manager, I can't say I like they guy or talk with him that much. However, he is overseeing football development from the Minis (aged 5) to the SWPL side, if there is anyone more qualified in Cornish football do let me know. .

You cannot be serious Nemisis, Trevor Mewton has not encouraged young players at any club he has ever been at. He has always paid top money for tried and trusted players to attain instant success without any thought for the future of any club. The minute St Blazey no longer had the biggest budget (through arrival of Heaney at Truro), he was out the door. What did he leave behind, no youth policy whatsoever and an awful second team set up. The answer to your question then would be JIM HILTON and many other hard working managers at clubs around Cornwall.

Trevor Mewton is Football General Manager, I can't say I like they guy or talk with him that much. However, he is overseeing football development from the Minis (aged 5) to the SWPL side, if there is anyone more qualified in Cornish football do let me know. .

You cannot be serious Nemisis, Trevor Mewton has not encouraged young players at any club he has ever been at. He has always paid top money for tried and trusted players to attain instant success without any thought for the future of any club. The minute St Blazey no longer had the biggest budget (through arrival of Heaney at Truro), he was out the door. What did he leave behind, no youth policy whatsoever and an awful second team set up. The answer to your question then would be JIM HILTON and many other hard working managers at clubs around Cornwall.

Does any club within the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League encourage young players from Mini-Soccer upwards?

Surely, this is the only way forward, but who has adopted it?

Does any club within the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League encourage young players from Mini-Soccer upwards?

Surely, this is the only way forward, but who has adopted it?

Newquay.......have minis from 5 year old upwards to under 18"s, 1st team, reserves,and 3rds, plus Newquay Ladies, all under the NEWQUAY BANNER, Mainly thanks to John Hodge. jim hilton is the chairman of the youth. anyone coming thro will certainly be given a chance of senior football. The G have their own youth set up ! so there is quite alot of footie for the boys and girls around Newquay.

What Mewton did or did not do at those other clubs, shows a lack of ambition by those clubs to develop from the bottom up. Mewton was fortunate to re-join Newquay at a time when Hodge, Hilton and others including the Chairman & committee deemed that Newquay needed to take steps to ensure the progression of the club.

Atlantic Porth & Newquay Youth Centre merged with the full approval of all managers and parents, they come under the umbrella of Newquay AFC. It has been 4 years since the merger, any player coming through the system now are a result of the new regime. It shows that the system worked in the past, G have several 1st teamers from NYC. The system is now more co-ordinated, the county youth currently have 7/8 Newquay AFC players who have come through the NAFC Youth over the last 4 years.

Newquay AFC will be in the SWPL Premier & FA Vase next season and the FA Cup the following season, it is no wonder that players, sponsors and football fans wish to be associated with the club, it is on it's way back up.

What Mewton did or did not do at those other clubs, shows a lack of ambition by those clubs to develop from the bottom up. Mewton was fortunate to re-join Newquay at a time when Hodge, Hilton and others including the Chairman & committee deemed that Newquay needed to take steps to ensure the progression of the club.

Atlantic Porth & Newquay Youth Centre merged with the full approval of all managers and parents, they come under the umbrella of Newquay AFC. It has been 4 years since the merger, any player coming through the system now are a result of the new regime. It shows that the system worked in the past, G have several 1st teamers from NYC. The system is now more co-ordinated, the county youth currently have 7/8 Newquay AFC players who have come through the NAFC Youth over the last 4 years.

Newquay AFC will be in the SWPL Premier & FA Vase next season and the FA Cup the following season, it is no wonder that players, sponsors and football fans wish to be associated with the club, it is on it's way back up.

Having witnessed the Newquay v Liskeard game in the Cornwall senior Cup, I can honestly state that Newquay are no better than average. There was not one player in the Newquay side that looked outstanding. If and it is if, Newquay do get promoted, there would have to be "major Surgery" within the team, as there are not good enough to challenge within the Premier.

A strong Newquay within the Premier League would benefit the league, as it would be an improvement upon the likes of Elburton Villa or Royal Marines.

Having witnessed the Newquay v Liskeard game in the Cornwall senior Cup, I can honestly state that Newquay are no better than average.

Yup, we'll take that at this stage, we are the same as an average top 5 side in the SWPL Prem. Do remember it was 0-0 after 120mins, or does that make Liskeard a good West side ?

Chickens counted, all present and correct !

Bit harsh on Royal Marines as I believe they struggle for players due to deployments etc. Nothing wrong with their ground as they have a decent seated stand - same manufacturer as Parkway but more of it.

I think I'm right in saying that Elburton is the only Premier club with no lights (I know the lights are "in progress") and no cover - it always seems to blow a gale and / or pi$$ down when I go there. And on current form they're not the worst team by any means.

Having witnessed the Newquay v Liskeard game in the Cornwall senior Cup, I can honestly state that Newquay are no better than average.

Yup, we'll take that at this stage, we are the same as an average top 5 side in the SWPL Prem. Do remember it was 0-0 after 120mins, or does that make Liskeard a good West side ?

Chickens counted, all present and correct !

Only watched Newquay once this season when they were well beaten at PZ in the cup. If that's the best they have to offer, then mid table is more than optimistic.

Is this "The Have a Pop at Newquay and St Blazey Month"

We all know where the money is so stop having a go.

SWPL Premier - Falmouth Town

SWPL Div 1 West - Newquay

Combo - Penryn

Trelawney - Ludgvan.

The cash doesn't last forever, it's swings and roundabouts.

If ludgvan are paying that is a joke. The man paying is not getting value for money, they are rubbish,.

Hoppit, I know a few Camelford boys and they definitely get 'expenses' so not sure where you got that from.

Hoppit - have to agree with Spider in what he has written thumbsup.gif

HOPPIT........................OOoooops

I have no connection with Camelford other than i watch them play most weeks, it was just what i was told on the terraces, that is there is no budget. So i must apologise.

I'm sure Reg Hambley will come on here and put the record straight.For my money,the Camels have been an shining example of what a "smaller" club can achieve at Premier level.In my travels I have heard nothing but good about them-exemplified by the all to few occasions I have watched them;I shall certainly rectify this in the new year.The most watchable team in N.Cornwall.

I watch newquay and it does annoy me a bit about the number of local lads gone from the club like jake hartingham and the goalie barnes .Newquay are doin a good job and should get promoted but really all that league is the old south western league with the likes of Bodmin its a pity it wasnt still the old south western league 1 league for cornwall and another for the mob across the tamar devon that is.I have been told 1 player or even the manager is on £150 per week which is wrong if its true .The way newquay played vs godolphin i thought godolphin played the better football with local lads .I would like to see both teams promoted ,i also feel sorry for perranporth they where a fine team last year and now they struggle bit like st blazey after Newquay had pinched the majority of there players it all boils down to money in the end very greedy.

I'm afraid you are wrong aboout the old S.W.League being for Cornwall: they always had Devon clubs in the ranks: Tavistock;Holsworthy;D.&C. Police;Oak Villa;Appledore;Teignmouth;Civil Service;Plymouth Command etc.etc.

I think he might mean the Cornwall senior league prior to the formation of th South Western back in the 1950s. Im afraid this is where cornish football is heading unless the top teams take promotion. I am sure over the years there have been some real talented Cornish players that have not been spotted by league clubs because of our location, if teams take promotion i reckon playing every other week in the Bristol area will give Cornish talent a much better chance of making it.

I watch newquay and it does annoy me a bit about the number of local lads gone from the club like jake hartingham and the goalie barnes .Newquay are doin a good job and should get promoted but really all that league is the old south western league with the likes of Bodmin its a pity it wasnt still the old south western league 1 league for cornwall and another for the mob across the tamar devon that is.I have been told 1 player or even the manager is on £150 per week which is wrong if its true .The way newquay played vs godolphin i thought godolphin played the better football with local lads .I would like to see both teams promoted ,i also feel sorry for perranporth they where a fine team last year and now they struggle bit like st blazey after Newquay had pinched the majority of there players it all boils down to money in the end very greedy.

is the player on 150 Adam carter by any chance heard he's on big bucks down bodmin????

I heard its a newquay player from the plymouth area who is on £150 a week ,I wouldnt be a bit surprise if Adam Carter is on good money but look at the goals hes banging in he cant stop scoring for Bodmin

the only newquay player who cud warrant big money is the boy brooks but even more than 100 is way 2 much.

JAKE HARTIGAN WENT TO ST AUSTELL, I THINK, ( PREMIER LEAGUE) RYAN BARNES WENT TO UNI. COULDNT PLAY! LUKE PAYNE IS AT TRURO, REST OF THE 1ST TEAM FROM LAST YEAR ARE EITHER STILL PLAYING, INJURED, OR PLAYING IN THE RESERVES ?

I've never been to Newquay's ground before but would look forward to going there if the opportunity comes next season.....

Where do Elburton Villa and Royal Marines come into this? Are you on about improvement's to the club's ground or team?

HI MR NICK POPE, AND YOU WILL BE VERY WELCONE (OF COURSE IF) ARE YOU A PLAYER OR A SUPPORTER ?