Cornwall Football Forum

ABOUT NEWQUAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never give in, Tania mentioned in a post about youth players that came up through the nyc why are they not involved with newquay now???

At that tIme, Tan is talking about one of the 1st youth sets up in newquay,town, that is, not newquay afc.it was newquay youth centre. but of course i remember the cornish choughs,i think that was the 1st i remember.

It amazes me when reading these forums that players at SW Peninsula Premier (Level 6), SW Peninsula Divs I East and West (Level 6) and some leagues below get paid anything the standard of football is too low, I don't think Pyramid Level 5 is good enough to command payment, only exceptional talent should be rewarded.

The only way to get back to the stability of years gone by is to only allow teams who do not pay their players to enter the County Cups, League Cups, the FA VASE etc.

I support Truro City so could be open to ridicule bearing in mind the money they paid out to players during their rise to the promised land, I don't know how much but was surprised they paid anything like the figures being rumoured, because the money was used to get to level 2 possibly the expenditure could be justified, personally I found it embarrassing, because of the money teams were getting thrashed week in week out, it is far better battling for every point in the Conference, there the players earn their corn.

I cannot see any justification for teams who regularly reach the top spot in their league but refuse promotion paying their players when they are competing at a level below their ability and lack ambition.

If clubs stopped paying these 'social standard' players there would be less need for teams to struggle year after year for survival.

Never give in, Tania mentioned in a post about youth players that came up through the nyc why are they not involved with newquay now???

At that tIme, Tan is talking about one of the 1st youth sets up in newquay,town, that is, not newquay afc.it was newquay youth centre. but of course i remember the cornish choughs,i think that was the 1st i remember.

I played for the Choughs 40 years ago there was no connection to N,afc from what i remember. [before that i played for Trenance rangers]

I think u find larry taylor and graham rickard was the ones who started nyc DEFO, The question i asked was why are these boys not involved with nqy now??

We all know that whether we consider one player better than another is just an opinion, but until this season, itis my opinion Newquay did not always pick the best players that were available for a given match and therefore some decided to move on.

Good post Mountaineer - I don't understand why 'lower league' teams pay players either (be it 'payment' or 'expenses' - same thing really). It just adds to the mercenary merry-go-round. My best mate's brother is at Newquay and he gets £40 a game for mostly getting splinters in his backside! As I said in a previous post, this is not a pop aimed specifically at Newquay, they're not the only ones doing it. My local team, Fal Town, are paying 'silly money' (Bodmin also pay big bucks) and if they need to strengthen their squad they just go out and 'buy' someone from further up the line, When the money runs out so do the manager and players (as we saw a few seasons ago).

Got to agree with both the last two post. If you are prepared to cultivate good local talent young or experienced within your club, local interest increases, gate money rises, and you will find that the players will not demand as much. The only thing you need to get right which is the tricky part, is that you have to be successful. Success is the biggest draw to any player/manager/fan.

Loving it chaps, we have gone from no kid should ever play for Newquay because Noah parked the Ark in the Gannel to someone getting £150 a game. Really !!!

Back in the real world, we have a lot of folk who resent the fact that Newquay are doing things the right way, they are for various reasons unable to.

Newquay is a mixed town, we have players, supporters, committee and residents who have arrived from all over the UK and beyond, this goes for the 'G' too. Just what counts as a local ?

The Cornish Pirates have players who live hundreds of miles away, so do Truro City (ok the last one is a bad example) but the public pays their money and it ends up supporting the clubs concerned.

We have one fella one from Hayle who watched on a bad night at PZ, who cares what he thinks ? Our crowds are up again, we have always been one of the best supported clubs anyway. We have sponsors contacting us, as well as other way round. We will have the best training facilities in the County in the next few years, everything is coming together at the same time.

Love us or not, we will do things our way, the right way. If you don't like it, then there is another club just down the road would love to have some supporters.

It amazes me when reading these forums that players at SW Peninsula Premier (Level 6), SW Peninsula Divs I East and West (Level 6) and some leagues below get paid anything the standard of football is too low, I don't think Pyramid Level 5 is good enough to command payment, only exceptional talent should be rewarded.

The only way to get back to the stability of years gone by is to only allow teams who do not pay their players to enter the County Cups, League Cups, the FA VASE etc.

I support Truro City so could be open to ridicule bearing in mind the money they paid out to players during their rise to the promised land, I don't know how much but was surprised they paid anything like the figures being rumoured, because the money was used to get to level 2 possibly the expenditure could be justified, personally I found it embarrassing, because of the money teams were getting thrashed week in week out, it is far better battling for every point in the Conference, there the players earn their corn.

I cannot see any justification for teams who regularly reach the top spot in their league but refuse promotion paying their players when they are competing at a level below their ability and lack ambition.

If clubs stopped paying these 'social standard' players there would be less need for teams to struggle year after year for survival.

i used too read your posts on tiger talk with interest, and generally agree with them, however cant believe you could post a statement like you have. truro bought the postion they are in. without heaney truro would drop like a brick, you dont get enough fans to get anywhere near the weekly wage,

without heaney truro would not have taken a promotion because players would not have been able to afford to take the time off work to travel.

as for wages, i do know what shane was earning there two yrs ago in the southern prem it was comparable to what he earned at argyle (championship). I'm sure barry hayles travels all that way to play for the love of truro and not just his expences

best of luck for rest of season hope heaney sorts out his financial woes soon else we may see a mass exodus of players nxt season

i used too read your posts on tiger talk with interest, and generally agree with them, however cant believe you could post a statement like you have. truro bought the postion they are in. without heaney truro would drop like a brick, you dont get enough fans to get anywhere near the weekly wage,

without heaney truro would not have taken a promotion because players would not have been able to afford to take the time off work to travel.

as for wages, i do know what shane was earning there two yrs ago in the southern prem it was comparable to what he earned at argyle (championship). I'm sure barry hayles travels all that way to play for the love of truro and not just his expences

best of luck for rest of season hope heaney sorts out his financial woes soon else we may see a mass exodus of players nxt season

I can't complain about Truro at least when they got Mr Heaney's backing they had the ambition to go as far as possible in the pyramid all the way to the 3rd Division if finances allow, however sucsess doesn't come cheap the further up you go the better players you need the better facilities you need etc ,all costs money. Truro could have taken the money moved up a couple of leagues and stayed there winning the league year in year out and been comfortably off for years, so i for one hope they keep going.

this always surprises me , First Newquay have addressed their problems and with Glyn Trevor and Pete have a group of guys working hard for the club, how can any one come on here and belittle these guys , What Trevor has achieved in Cornish football is out standing and his reputation should never ever be questioned, Glyn is a growing manager who again deserves respect , And with Peters business experience Newquay are moving forward , The G are what grass roots football is all about ,people should look at Newquay at the moment you have Newlyn East where Gary Wheildon started moving them , Major who have turned it around with Andy and prem sixes all who are progressing , The youth set up started by Derek and Mick have produced exciting youngsters and Jim Hilton now works and always has done for the youth of Newquay, We all remember the Newq of old with Phil Ryder , Graham Ray etc , well now these guys are trying to start tomorrows memory's and good luck to them ,The work Tania and Muff have done prob wont ever be mirrored but come on guys there is a lot of very good people working for the good of football players in the Newquay area and im very proud of them all , Look at ST Austell their improving all the time with Gary and Andy with a good committee behind them. Truro in my view are fantastic seeing conference football in Cornwall come on who ever thought that would happen , There is a lot of good things happening in local football at the moment so lets not knock it ok , and really having a go at Trevor and Glyn and Pete thats so small minded for whats its worth to some of you , you should try to speak to these guys iv known them most of my life and along with Derek /Mick /Tania the guys deserve a lot of praise for what they have achieved, Money ! paying players ! players loyalty dear o dear Newquay have a good squad of local players and i dont see any Newquay boys playing outside the area ( well jake lol @ st austall) but hes looking really fit and enjoying his football again , I think Trev/Glyn/Laffs/Jim/Derek/Mick and the rest of the people trying to do well for the local clubs should given a little more respect than their getting because i know how hard they work for Cornish football. Mettz

and you need to get a grip guys i know the players in and around the Newquay Area and not on what u call big money , some of the posts on here are so far stretched really guys , some of you should read your posts before you add them , Newquay paying what was it £100 quid a game lol you guys really need to get a grip and stop worrying about pie in the sky comments , I know so many people in this area who give their time and effort for nothing that means ziltsch nothing not a penny they spend their own money and give their own time because they enjoy the football and want to help so how about saying well done instead of running down very well respected people involved with all the local clubs in the Newquay area , and when you have the massive amount of youth players coming through which Newquay/the G / all have they will not all play in respected first teams and will move around in the area and find their own levels , But rest assured if any one is good enough they will be given the chance to play in the first teams from the Newquay area, Because some very good people are looking after their futures , Mettz

I heard the talk of a newquay on £150 a week when i was at the brook inn to watch a group play and there was severel players from Newquay and Godolphin there talking about who gets what and this amount was mentioned

Stephen, you really shouldn't listen to . That amount is so far fetched as to be laughable. By the way, I heard that supporters will be paid to watch the next home game............. pass the sauce !!!

I am only saying what a group of players where saying at the pub about a player on £150 a week it could even be the manager Glynn Hooper the only player i reckonised talking plays for st austell now dont know many of the newquay players these days because i am up home park or at truro watching them play i went up and watched Newquay vs Vospers and they where awful so maybe i should stay away because i dont want to bring them bad luck .I would like to wish Newquay and Godolphin all the best for the rest of the season top 2 i hope .Happy New Year to everyone on this site you will need your waterproofs on if you are out tonite goin to be wet .

Nemesis, if u believe Newquay players only get "fair expenses" you are clearly deluded! I know for a fact a couple of players get £100+!!! I don't really care who gets what, I do worry for the clubs like these tho wen the money stops, too many "journeymen" always get clubs in trouble!! Look at p'porth!! Clubs need to start learning from other bad management.

Nemesis, if u believe Newquay players only get "fair expenses" you are clearly deluded! I know for a fact a couple of players get £100+!!! I don't really care who gets what, I do worry for the clubs like these tho wen the money stops, too many "journeymen" always get clubs in trouble!! Look at p'porth!! Clubs need to start learning from other bad management.

NAME THEM !

however much they are on im glad we made them work for every penny today. newquay are the best team in the league and i do hope they go up it is good to see ambition.

yes paying big money is a major risk and yes we are striggling this season because of it, when it dries up players jump ship we have had to rebuild a squad which has 14 of the squad under 19 and although maybe not all good enough for this level at the moment are inproving each week and we will reap the rewards over the next couple of seasons.

our players get £5 a game to cover petrol to home and away games and to training at camborne, but havent been paid for the last 5 games as they want to put the money to purchasing some team tracksuits as we cannot get sponsorship.

grant i was only saying this the other day that arsenal drew with wolves, city drew with wba, chelasea drew with fulham and liverpool drawing with blackburn, not one of the lower sides got credit for their battling performances, it was all today with the bigger clubs "HAving a crisis".

Today before the game i said to our players that no matter what the score they wouldnt get any credit, if we lost 8 or 9 nil everyone would say that was expected and if we only lost by 2 or 3 it would be a case on newqauy were crap.

as it turned out after conceding a goal after 58 seconds we battled and pulled it back to 1-2 at half time, and only a couple of keeping errors were our downfall.

Robbo was honest enough to admit they didn't have it as easy as they expected and had a bit of a roasting at half tme, would have been interesting if we had made it 2-2....

Quote - "our players get £5 a game to cover petrol to home and away games and to training at camborne, but havent been paid for the last 5 games as they want to put the money to purchasing some team tracksuits as we cannot get sponsorship."

Good to read some honest figures.

I have set 3 postings as invisible as they were too personal.

No insults lads,

Happy banter, constructive comments or like John at Perranporth some truth.

Theesy

Never believe all you hear as one of Newquays fund raisers in the past years including arranging the current sponsorship arrangments,I can tell you that no player is on anything even near approaching what you have quoted and had this been the case I would not have assisted Newquay to further their ambitions whilst lining the pockets of a few players.

Newquay have in Peter Butterly a forward thinking chairman who wants the best for the club within a very restricted budget financed soley by the gate revenue ,the remaining sponsorship is being used to improve the infrastructure of the club

with new ground equipment , kits, training costs,repairs etc.

If you know something I don,t then let us all know the names of these players as no one at the club seems to know.

I played for the Choughs 40 years ago there was no connection to N,afc from what i remember. [before that i played for Trenance rangers]

thats what iam saying,there was youth football back then,but none attached to Newquay afc. until john hodge had the idea to put the newquay youth and atlantic porth together under the umbrella of newquay afc.