Cornwall Football Forum

Promotion Western Lge

With the restructuring of the Devon League & South Western League a few years back the idea was for teams to move up the pyramid easier. Well this season we saw 3 sides show ambition to do that only for the FA to now spit in their face and say yes you can move on but we are going to make it financially harder for you to do so.

I see strong opposition to this coming from both the SWPL and Hellenic Leagues. I don't think the Western League will be overjoyed about their area stretching from Land's End to almost the edge of the midlands either.

Imagine Falmouth away to Cheltenham Saracens on a Tuesday night - the team would have to leave by 2.30pm at the latest and couldn't hope to be back much before 2.30am.

As the review group was supposedly set up to do what the leagues want, I suggest it will be a case of "back to the drawing board".

Even as it stands at the moment, ive always thought the catchment area for the western league is far too large stretching as it does from the Lands end area to past Bristol but this proposal is a step too far, quite literaly . According to my millege chart ,cheltenham is closer to Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool then it is to Falmouth or Penzance, yet would they merge the Hellenic league with a league based in those northern cities ?. As ive stated on this forum before , i believe the FA should be looking at forming a seperate step 5 league for clubs based in Devon, Cornwall, west Dorset and west Somerset that wish to move up the ladder.