Cornwall Football Forum

St Austell v Buckland Athletic

A few attendance figures to beat on Friday... Lets how the weather is nice.

From Phil Hiscox

409 - Highest Premier Crowd of the season (Saltash v Parkway)

494 - Highest Premier Crowd since league formed (Buckland v Witheridge)

607 - Highest Crowd of the season (Newquay v Godolphin)

737 - Highest Crowd since league formed (Newquay v Godolphin)

MM

Thanks for your comment Nemesis and cornish teddy boy. But not just AFC St Austell recognise this achievement but the town of St Austell in general does. Everyone has worked very hard to reach a point where we are now. So you will have to excuse anyone that sounds slightly exited about Fridays fixture but everyone in the town interested in football is welcoming the floodlights at St Austell. Your comments are expected to be honest but never mind AFC St Austell are used to it by now. Thanks again for your support to clubs looking to add to Cornwalls attributes on the footballing map.

Nice to read some great posts about fridays game. Sad some people take this opportunity to have a swipe at the good work that can been done for the good of the town. What ever the result may be, it just shows that there is a small amount of people on this site who love to knock great progress, maybe jealously. Here's to a great game and a big thank you too all the committee past and present that had the vision to get behind and sort out what was a sorry state at Poltair. Here's to the future

Thanks for your comment Nemesis and cornish teddy boy. But not just AFC St Austell recognise this achievement but the town of St Austell in general does. Everyone has worked very hard to reach a point where we are now. So you will have to excuse anyone that sounds slightly exited about Fridays fixture but everyone in the town interested in football is welcoming the floodlights at St Austell. Your comments are expected to be honest but never mind AFC St Austell are used to it by now. Thanks again for your support to clubs looking to add to Cornwalls attributes on the footballing map.

Sense of humour bypass ! I'm sure everyone who attends will be deLIGHTed. In fact I know some of our fans are making the trip over, they couldn't make Blackpool in October or Mousehole at Xmas !

Once again, well done Money Man, you have done your club proud. Now about that 7 day notice !!!

Sense of humour bypass ! I'm sure everyone who attends will be deLIGHTed. In fact I know some of our fans are making the trip over, they couldn't make Blackpool in October or Mousehole at Xmas !

Once again, well done Money Man, you have done your club proud. Now about that 7 day notice !!!

You're right, can't see a joke when it's printed. Lack of a funny bone.

From your quote - Are you transferring from Newquay to St Austell Nemisis? You want a BRIGHTer future? LIGHTen up I thought you were a Peppermint through and through.

Well done to St Austell one raising the funding to purchase and erect the floodlights and I hope the evening goes well.

bloody hell, don't people know the meaning of banter??

the problem with Cornwall and Cornwall football is that people expect everyone to support everyone, Nemisis supports Newquay, I doubt he could give two hoots what happens to anyone else, why does everyone always have to support everything others do.

Good luck to St Austell with all that they've done and hope Friday goes well, I look forward to seeing the highlights from Piran Films

bloody hell, don't people know the meaning of banter??

the problem with Cornwall and Cornwall football is that people expect everyone to support everyone, Nemisis supports Newquay, I doubt he could give two hoots what happens to anyone else, why does everyone always have to support everything others do.

Good luck to St Austell with all that they've done and hope Friday goes well, I look forward to seeing the highlights from Piran Films

If he doesn't give 2 hoots then there's no need to read the thread and comment

All-Light On The Night

AFC St Austell 1-3 Buckland Athletic

Buckland Athletic took a deserved three point’s home with them from Poltair Park on Friday evening; however it could have been so different.

Early exchanges on a bitterly cold evening saw Buckland’s Simon Revell and Antony Lynch send in crosses to no avail.

Tricky winger Liam Moseley was causing the AFC St Austell defence all kinds of problems, but Vase winner Tom Smith and his partner at the back Damon Mulready continued to stand strong.

Buckland were relentless in pressure but somewhat wasteful as captain Danny Lewis skied an effort, while at the other end Mike Body rounded Kenny Griffiths only to finish high and wide.

The effort from Body seemed to spark St Austell into life and Nick Campbell shot narrowly wide.

The game was somewhat scrappy with both sides getting stuck in; however both were missing that productive move in the final third.

Will Tinsley and Ben Douglas were impressing for St Austell while Lynch and Simon Revell were doing the same for Buckland.

The latter duo linked up for the first goal of the match. Revell’s cross fell to Lynch who slotted it home from around the penalty spot.

St Austell didn’t let their heads drop and attacked the opponents, with a stinging shot from Tinsley spilled and almost gathered by Dan Nancarrow before Buckland ‘keeper Griffiths gobbled up the ball.

The reigning champions Buckland were making silly mistakes in defence but St Austell’s attackers couldn’t capitalise.

Tom Smith challenged the away ‘keeper with a header before tensions boiled over.

Buckland substitute Cameron Kelly had to be pulled away from Mike Body by his teammates who stopped a brawl.

The teams went in for half time with the well supported Buckland 0-1 up, but there should surely have been more goals.

The home side came out stronger in the second half with Dan Lean crossing for Tinsley, volleying home an equaliser on the slide.

The next ten minutes were crucial to the outcome of the game.

St Austell had the advantage but couldn’t make the most of it as Buckland showed their quality.

First of all, Lynch grabbed his second goal of the night holding off Lee Whetter to finish strongly.

Soon after, substitute Gavin Hammon slid the ball across Penhaligon and into the back of the St Austell net.

It could have been 1-4 had the remarkable Tom Smith not made a last gasp challenge on Hammon.

The referee was coming in from a lot of stick from players, coaches and fans alike with the mood souring on and off the pitch.

St Austell kept looking for a way back into the game and Lean stung the ‘keepers hands with a fierce drive.

The final whistle blew and it was just one of those days for St Austell who were undone by the class of Buckland, who continue climbing the table.

Had Mike Body’s shot hit the back of the net after he’d rounded the keeper, it could have been all so different.

St Austell chairman James Hutchings had nothing but praise for his players at the final whistle saying: “I thought the lads here tonight played absolutely fantastic, considering the conditions, they put a real good effort in.

“I didn’t think we quite deserved to lose 1-3, we played very well for seventy minutes. In the last twenty we couldn’t keep the rhythm going.”

Tonight marked St Austell’s first game under floodlights at Poltair Park. It drew in a record South West Premier crowd of 556, which beat the previous record by 62 (494 – Buckland Athletic vs. Witheridge).

Mr Hutchings said: “The whole day went brilliant, it was a bit worrying earlier today with all the rain, but thankfully during the game it stayed dry.

“It was touch and go. This morning we had a very tough job marking it, but thanks go out to the guys who worked on the pitch during the day.

“Moving onto the next game, the lads can go into it with their heads held high after putting in a good shift tonight; they’ve done the town and the club proud.”

AFC St Austell are away to Cullompton Rangers next weekend, with Buckland Athletic facing Liskeard Athletic in a mouth-watering tie at Homers Heath.

AFC St Austell: Penhaligon, Lean, Mulready, Whetter, Smith (Godridge), Dingle, Douglas, Campbell, Nancarrow ©, Body (Hartigan), Tinsley (Phillips). Subs Not Used: Wheildon, Hill

Buckland Athletic: Griffiths, Drew, Gaze (Kelly), M Revell, Fisher, Moseley (Stevens), Booth, Lewis ©, Lynch, Wright (Hammon), S Revell Subs Not Used: -

Excellent report Tom.

Thought town were going to push on and get something from the game when the equalizer went in.

Well fought game by the boys in white on a truly momentous occasion.

Not a huge gap between St.Austell and the boys at the top of the table. With the addition of 1 or 2 quality players, then who knows where the club will be a couple seasons down the line.

Buckland are a quality outfit, and I would almost suggest a promotion spot is a dead cert.

tom_howe and bushy12 have it dead right.

Town almost but not quite at the same level as Buckland and it showed in the last 20 minutes or so. Up to then it looked like we might sneak a win.

Well done to Buckland. Very strong outfit and good support on the night.

Having watched St.Austell for far too many years, I can't quite believe the turnaround since reaching the depths only 5 years ago. Poltair is now looking terrific and we have a decent side too which hopefully Penners and Parry will strengthen next summer. It's been a combination of people behind the scenes, players on the pitch, sponsors, supporters....everyone. It proves the worst situation can be turned around and I hope this is only part way to what St.Austell can achieve! :clapper:

An excellent report Tom. I did a 540 mile round trip from Coventry for this unique match. Despite the score it was well worth it. I have supported the Lillywhites for 49 years so it was great to see Poltair under floodlights. The occasion was superbly organised by the committee and the atmosphere was brilliant. The lads played well against an excellent Buckland side, both sides played some good football despite the heavy conditions. Congratulations to Buckland for a deserved win and good luck to them in their quest for promotion to the Western League Premier Division next season. I am with many other supporters very optimistic for St. Austell's future, everything is falling into place. Well done to both clubs on a great evening.