Cornwall Football Forum

All Peninsula Premier Games OFF

Radio Cornwall @CornwallSport just announced All Peninsula Premier games OFF

Taken from SWPL Website

Right - draw breath - Summary at 10.50am

All games OFF except :

East

Galmpton v Exeter CS (Inspection 12noon)

West

Helston v Godolphin (No contact)

Mousehole v Foxhole Stars (No contact)

Truro City v Wadebridge (No contact)

Cornwall Senior Cup

Porthleven v Camelford (Declared ON)

We are contacting the three West clubs now for news either way and will post either way when I get feedback

PH

Does anybody else think that we are perhaps a bit hasty in cancelling games ?

Let's take the example of Torpoint v Parkway which was called off at 9.30 this morning .

As I sit here typing this (1.35pm-ish ) , it is now pouring down with rain ( as was forecast for about this time ) , and it is now probably about 5 or 6 degrees above freezing .

Could the powers that be not have resolved to have another look at midday-ish and, if they were satisfied that conditions were improving, pushed the kick off back to 4.30pm or 5.00pm for example . Because of the close geographical nature of the teams there would have been few issues with getting teams to delay travelling , although I am not sure who the officials were and where they were travelling from .

Just something to think about (although with the rain falling we are now probably into a waterlogged pitch scenario) .

Let's take the example of Torpoint v Parkway which was called off at 9.30 this morning .

As I sit here typing this (1.35pm-ish ) , it is now pouring down with rain ( as was forecast for about this time ) , and it is now probably about 5 or 6 degrees above freezing .

Could the powers that be not have resolved to have another look at midday-ish and, if they were satisfied that conditions were improving, pushed the kick off back to 4.30pm or 5.00pm for example . Because of the close geographical nature of the teams there would have been few issues with getting teams to delay travelling , although I am not sure who the officials were and where they were travelling from .

Just something to think about (although with the rain falling we are now probably into a waterlogged pitch scenario) .

Think you have answered your own question "ALTHOUGH WITH THE RAIN FALLING WE ARE NOW PROBABLY INTO A WATERLOGGED PITCH SCENARIO"

Think you have answered your own question "ALTHOUGH WITH THE RAIN FALLING WE ARE NOW PROBABLY INTO A WATERLOGGED PITCH SCENARIO"

Point taken .

What is was trying to say though is that the officials possibly could have waited an hour or two , or re-inspected later in the day based on the likelihood of improving temperatures and changing conditions . While rain was forecast , I don't think the length and severity of the rainfall was expected .

I just think that sometimes ,with a bit more flexibilty from all parties , more matches could be played .

I think the term "waterlogged pitch" tends to be a bit over used.

Clubs nowadays seem to prefer not to play on wet pitches which in years gone by would have been deemed to be perfectly playable.

I may be wrong but I thought the over-riding consideration nowadays is the safety of the players rather than whether the pitch might cut up.

And we seem to play on concrete-hard pitches at the beginning and end of the season which must be a darn sight harder to fall on?

I think the term "waterlogged pitch" tends to be a bit over used.

Clubs nowadays seem to prefer not to play on wet pitches which in years gone by would have been deemed to be perfectly playable.

I may be wrong but I thought the over-riding consideration nowadays is the safety of the players rather than whether the pitch might cut up.

And we seem to play on concrete-hard pitches at the beginning and end of the season which must be a darn sight harder to fall on?

I agree games are called off to readily these days, i watched Porthleven v Camelford yesterday and the pitch was very wet and it cut up badly but this levelled the teams up and Port's work ethic overcame Camel's obvious superiority in class. This was a lot to do with the conditions and made it a classic cup tie.