Cornwall Football Forum

Helston v penryn

Helston 0-1 penryn

Tough conditions on a heavy pitch, saying that there was some good football played! Helston played with 10 men for 60 minutes, and continued to dominate, however penryns defence was brilliant. Good game ruined by a referee, who wanted to be the centre of attention, most inconsistent ref of the season.. The words of 'I played for the best team in Cornwall in my days.. Porthleven, and I don't give a sh*t about Helston.' how is it even possible to respect a ref like that?

Taking nothing away from penryn, good luck in the semis!

It was said at half time, as we were ready to ko for the 2nd half, them he was saying how he used to get dragged off the pitch when port used to play Helston, not arguing with that as its a big local derby but the fact someone with such a hatred towards Helston is allowed to ref the match!? But as Winno said, the lads that made the step up from his team were excellent, and yes, I thought Tom annear had a blinder at full back :)

Have to agree with a lot what Blues10 is saying. It was a Red for Ben Stidwell (Helston), but also from where I was standing it looked like Roberts (Penryn) should have walked for a headbutt. Penryn were better side in 1st half. However 2nd half Helston were pressing for the equalizer and with 10 men looked the better side. I wasn’t happy Penryn were sitting back when I thought they could go on and get a 2nd goal. The Penryn defence stood strong, and I don’t think there are many sides that have played at Helston and kept a clean sheet, and to be honest I didn’t think Penryn could (that‘s why Andy and Alan run the team and not me). The players that stepped up from the combo side did the club proud (Annear, Roberts, Barclay, Broglino, Brown and Winnan). I didn’t hear anything said by the ref, but I can’t believe a ref would be that biased. Apart from the fact that he should have sent Roberts off, I thought the game was well refereed, and if he didn’t see it, he can’t give it. He also spoke with the lino who also didn’t see it, so not all his fault. In games like this you need a bit of luck, and Penryn got it today. Last year in the semi we were the better team against Cally for 70 mins and 1.0 up, yet still lost 3.1.

Goal from Justin Miles, who for me was MoM for the 2nd game running, and he has only played twice!

Enjoyed my day at Helston who are a very wecoming club. Good luck to Helston, who I believe will finish top 5 this season and higher next season.

For me Penryn totally deserved the win today, man for man they were the better side. The young lad upfront for Helston needs to learn to stay on his feet as flinging himself to the floor at every opportunity will do him no favours at this level of football. The tackle on Justin Miles easily deserved the red card. Sounds a bit like sour grapes harping on about the referees hatred for Helston :wacko:

A contentious game no doubt and having a referee with a pathological hatred for Helston - quote "I used to play for the best team in the league, Porthleven, so shut it!!" doesn't bode well well for a balanced game. 2 tackles of which both were bad but why one gets a yellow and one a red, probably had a marked affect on the final outcome and spoiled what should have been a good game. To be fair to Penryn they set up with 5 at the back and relied upon attacking on the break which they did very well. Helston with 10 men completely dominated the 2nd half and can count hemseleves unlucky not to progress to the semi finals! All in all, an entertaing afternoon in which unfortunately all the banter centred on the ref - but I'm sure he will be happy with that! Good luck to Penryn and Andy in the semi!

Helston 0-1 penryn

Tough conditions on a heavy pitch, saying that there was some good football played! Helston played with 10 men for 60 minutes, and continued to dominate, however penryns defence was brilliant. Good game ruined by a referee, who wanted to be the centre of attention, most inconsistent ref of the season.. The words of 'I played for the best team in Cornwall in my days.. Porthleven, and I don't give a sh*t about Helston.' how is it even possible to respect a ref like that?

Taking nothing away from penryn, good luck in the semis!

Good to see the Respect campaign is going strong down West!!

If Liams known for spending most of his time on the ground then how has he managed to score so many goals, Played at higher levels and Penryn played five at the back to deal with him and Goldy? You make out that Helston are a bitter side but clearly you wasnt at the game. Fair game from Winnos boys who the majority of them ive known for years, Tom Annear deserves his chance in the first team And so does Dave. Roberts is a liability and could have evened up the game 10 v 10 but the referee and linesman bottled it. Other than that it was a very good game, Well done to Penryn & good luck in the next round.

Andy Parry's team actually Chalie.

No I meant the boys who stepped up from The second Team. Sorry 'Marching on together'

Was that a crack at me Charles young he scores goals by cheating in the box to get them and I was at the game actually

I wouldnt say a crack, It was more pointing out the truth! Clearly Liam is one of the best if not THE best striker in the league. Maybe its a biased view from a team mate.

Although liam has a reputation for going down easily that when everyone plays against him that's the first thibg they pick out, I believe its due to the pace that he possesses! And the slight knock can knock him off balance!

I didn't want to get involved in the refs performance but believe he called Justins tackle right with a yellow and bens was a straight red. The only issue was the headbutt incident that the assistant ref saw. But hey ho, for a team to dominate as Helston did and not have a notable shot on goal suggests we need to address that problem before getting on the referees case.

This brings me onto my final point. As a top three side, I cannot believe how defensive Penryn set up! I for one could not spend my satursay afternoon going to football to just defend and score a breakaway goal! Now Andy got the result but at this level of football surely the most important thing is enjoying the game, getting on the ball and winning and losing should come second to that all day.

I cannot believe how defensive Penryn set up! I for one could not spend my satursay afternoon going to football to just defend and score a breakaway goal! Now Andy got the result but at this level of football surely the most important thing is enjoying the game, getting on the ball and winning and losing should come second to that all day.

Lol, not sure your manager would agree with a comment like that. Winning is everything !

Was it a head butt or not,I think the picture in the West Briton clearly shows that Jason Roberts pushed his head into Tom Russells face,is that classed as a head butt ? secondly why did Justine Miles escape with only a yellow card his tackle on Ben Stidwell was no different to Bens,Well done Mr Hoon you only had three big decisions to make on the day and you clearly got all hot and bothered because you got two of the three wrong.

I was at the game no mention on here that actually Tom Russel had his hands around Jason Roberts throat just before the alleged headbutt, From the pic it looks more like head to head !! I don't agree with violence of any kind on or off the piitch but i also believe if someone had their hands around your throat u would retaliate. Both players left the pitch after shaking hands & laughing about the incident !! If the players themselves can get over it can't have been tht bigger deal!

This sites starting to be a an open arena to slag people off !! Lets get back to the football.

I was at the game no mention on here that actually Tom Russel had his hands around Jason Roberts throat just before the alleged headbutt, From the pic it looks more like head to head !! I don't agree with violence of any kind on or off the piitch but i also believe if someone had their hands around your throat u would retaliate. Both players left the pitch after shaking hands & laughing about the incident !! If the players themselves can get over it can't have been tht bigger deal!

This sites starting to be a an open arena to slag people off !! Lets get back to the football.

So in your opinion as you were at the game should Jason Roberts have been sent off for retaliating as you have stated(there you go B manning that from a Penryn supporter) and did the ref get all three decisions right.?

Theman himself would you off got over a couple of decisions if they had gone against Penryn ?

I cannot believe how defensive Penryn set up! I for one could not spend my satursay afternoon going to football to just defend and score a breakaway goal! Now Andy got the result but at this level of football surely the most important thing is enjoying the game, getting on the ball and winning and losing should come second to that all day.

Lol, not sure your manager would agree with a comment like that. Winning is everything !

A major major issue with your last sentence and pretty much sums up the ignprance by the country as a whole towards sport. Winning is not everything, being given correct knowledge, skill and know how on the pitch from grass roots will surely help produce better homegrown players resulting in a more successful national team. We play in a amateur league where i would rather get on the ball loads, rather than having to sit back and defend game after game, barely touching the ball and scoring a breakaway goal. But everyone to there own.

So in your opinion as you were at the game should Jason Roberts have been sent off for retaliating as you have stated(there you go B manning that from a Penryn supporter) and did the ref get all three decisions right.?

Theman himself would you off got over a couple of decisions if they had gone against Penryn ?

Sorry if you have mis-interpreted what i have written it was my belief you would retaliate i haven't stated anyone did. We are all entitled to our opinions & in some cases on here it's always the same "Sour Grapes!!". Look forward to the game's on Saturday & i'm hoping a change of topic on here.