Cornwall Football Forum

Parkway - Football Team or Pub Team

As a regular watcher of Parkway since the early days of the Devon League it pains me to say that they appear to be in danger of turning into a pub team.

At Liskeard yesterday they looked like an indisciplined rabble, spending more time swearing at the referee than playing football.

Compared to last season most of the quality players (such as Wright, Sargent & Brook) seem to have been discarded in favour of lesser replacements.

No way will that team finish in the top two or anywhere near.

From the outside, Plymouth Parkway have a great bunch of people running the club, but a very very poor choice of players. There are far too many "bad eggs" and perhaps a major clearout would do the club a world of good.

You only have to look at the "catchment area" to realise Plymouth Parkway could attract good crowds. But unfortunately, I know of several "football followers" who would not give a penny to watch Plymouth Parkway, unless the team they support are playing at Bolitho Park.

From the outside, Plymouth Parkway have a great bunch of people running the club, but a very very poor choice of players. There are far too many "bad eggs" and perhaps a major clearout would do the club a world of good.

You only have to look at the "catchment area" to realise Plymouth Parkway could attract good crowds. But unfortunately, I know of several "football followers" who would not give a penny to watch Plymouth Parkway, unless the team they support are playing at Bolitho Park.

I keep hearing the statements bad eggs and big ego's .............. perhaps it's time to name and shame ?

So who are these players ????????????????

Sorry if I sound a bit thick,'football followers who would not give a penny to watch Plymouth Parkway unless the team they support are playing at Bolitho Park'. Are you saying Parkway are considering pulling out of Bolitho Park ?

Yes Parkway do have a good catchment area, possibly one of the best locations for a pitch in the SWPL. They are definatley not a pub team though. People behind the scenes at Parkway work very hard to keep the Club going, just like all the Clubs in the league, but also finding it hard financially, just like all the Clubs league, to keep going. If they have to start from scratch again then so be it. Sure there are plenty of local players who would love to play for the Club

Sorry if I sound a bit thick,'football followers who would not give a penny to watch Plymouth Parkway unless the team they support are playing at Bolitho Park'. Are you saying Parkway are considering pulling out of Bolitho Park ?

Yes Parkway do have a good catchment area, possibly one of the best locations for a pitch in the SWPL. They are definatley not a pub team though. People behind the scenes at Parkway work very hard to keep the Club going, just like all the Clubs in the league, but also finding it hard financially, just like all the Clubs league, to keep going. If they have to start from scratch again then so be it. Sure there are plenty of local players who would love to play for the Club

Well I'm pretty sure they are staying at Bolitho! I didn't say they were leaving!

Bolitho Park is a great location and the facilities are improving.

One has to ask, why there are many Plymouth based players who would not join Plymouth Parkway, given the invitation.

I personally think parkway are a great club that until recently were one of the best in the league.i have mentioned before in another thread things had been changed this season that wernt broke.decent players left on the bench and decided they were worth more than this.some top names brought in and haven't performed may be as well as they should have.all of this is no different than what's happening in any other club only difference being its more noticeable in a bigger club.maybe tracing back a few steps from beginning of this seasons.wish parkway best of luck in sorting out their issues and good luck for the future

I just like to say my son and i always go down to parkway and are always made welcome, thay have great people running the club and a good management team who want to take the club a long way, unless you say the players then it is hard to give a opinion about them.Thay have great team and on their day thay can beat anybody in that league, BUT i will say that thay have some players that our very similar in the way thay play as in winning at all cost, is that a bad thing? its a thin line to cross but rather a team thats a winning at all cost team then a team that can only play one way. Just my opinion folks. sorry if their is any spelling mistakes.Lol

I just like to say my son and i always go down to parkway and are always made welcome, thay have great people running the club and a good management team who want to take the club a long way, unless you say the players then it is hard to give a opinion about them.Thay have great team and on their day thay can beat anybody in that league, BUT i will say that thay have some players that our very similar in the way thay play as in winning at all cost, is that a bad thing? its a thin line to cross but rather a team thats a winning at all cost team then a team that can only play one way. Just my opinion folks. sorry if their is any spelling mistakes.Lol

Sorry ravo I have to disagree a little there,This isnt a dig and I don't hold any grudges life's to short as you know I've got a lot of mates and a history with parkway but having been out for just shy of a year because of an over zealous tackle there's knowing when youve gone too far and I wasn't the first, parkway is a great club and has some good lads also with great people behind the scenes Gez is one of the most genuine people I've met, but winning at all cost is a bit extreme, think you should've worded it " winning at all cost within the rules of the game" but I would say football team over pub team because as we all know they can play great football.

Sorry ravo I have to disagree a little there,This isnt a dig and I don't hold any grudges life's to short as you know I've got a lot of mates and a history with parkway but having been out for just shy of a year because of an over zealous tackle there's knowing when youve gone too far and I wasn't the first, parkway is a great club and has some good lads also with great people behind the scenes Gez is one of the most genuine people I've met, but winning at all cost is a bit extreme, think you should've worded it " winning at all cost within the rules of the game" but I would say football team over pub team because as we all know they can play great football.

I wouldn't say Plymouth Parkway have the "winning at all cost" attitude.

It is simply they have certain players with **** attitude.

Figures taken from official SWPL website

Parkway

Highest attendance 384

Lowest attendance 85

Total so far 1174

Home games 8

Average attendance 146.75

Not bad stats for a side allegedly struggling to get an attendance.

I am sure their are plenty of teams in this division who would love to say they have these figures.

Before making such a stupid remark at least get some facts behind it.

It’s all relative though surely. Parkway are the second best attended club at home in the SWPL Premier at an 146 – that’s a fact and the club should be appropriately proud.

However, in 2009 the ward of Witheridge had a population of 2,262, while Plymouth’s population was 256,700. Witheridge home average attendance is 68!

:SM_carton: Whilst not entering into the above discussions Dave, but your attendance and population answer doesn't add up. Yes Witheridge has a team, Plymouth has over 50 teams in the city plus a (at the moment) pro team with a low attendance of 6000, (at the moment). So come on. But I can assure you we are proud of the club's attendance.

First of all, I would like to say Parkway are a great club, with a brilliant core of background staff and supporters. However, a pub team, they are not. If you look back to the start of last season, when this was brought up when new players were bought in along with new managers, and how successful the club ended up being with a trophy and a not soo bad fininshing position in the league. However, the saying 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' comes into mind when you look at the un-needed signings of players in the summer, one or two to strengthen the squad, yes..but to sign on extra players for cover, in positions that were already engaged by a number of utile players, not brilliant decisions, thus leaving players unhappy when squad rotation was rarely/wrongly used. This would cause a bad atmosphere in any squad.. and in any standard of football, can cause negative affects. So as the entrance door was wide open, and by the looks of their old changing rooms, the space to get changed becoming less and less, players popping out the exit door become inevitable, and key quality members of the previous seasons success i.e Chris Wright, Andy Sargent, Danny Brook choosing to leave a high flying club, was the start of a forth coming negative domino effect. And as much of a task to manage such players as Parkway have, the mangers can only do so much, but maybe the mangers have forgotten that they are there to manage a team, and not just individuals.

First of all, I would like to say Parkway are a great club, with a brilliant core of background staff and supporters. However, a pub team, they are not. If you look back to the start of last season, when this was brought up when new players were bought in along with new managers, and how successful the club ended up being with a trophy and a not soo bad fininshing position in the league. However, the saying 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' comes into mind when you look at the un-needed signings of players in the summer, one or two to strengthen the squad, yes..but to sign on extra players for cover, in positions that were already engaged by a number of utile players, not brilliant decisions, thus leaving players unhappy when squad rotation was rarely/wrongly used. This would cause a bad atmosphere in any squad.. and in any standard of football, can cause negative affects. So as the entrance door was wide open, and by the looks of their old changing rooms, the space to get changed becoming less and less, players popping out the exit door become inevitable, and key quality members of the previous seasons success i.e Chris Wright, Andy Sargent, Danny Brook choosing to leave a high flying club, was the start of a forth coming negative domino effect. And as much of a task to manage such players as Parkway have, the mangers can only do so much, but maybe the mangers have forgotten that they are there to manage a team, and not just individuals.

Interesting comments Mr.Ice , just out of interest what team do you follow ?

:SM_carton: Whilst not entering into the above discussions Dave, but your attendance and population answer doesn't add up. Yes Witheridge has a team, Plymouth has over 50 teams in the city plus a (at the moment) pro team with a low attendance of 6000, (at the moment). So come on. But I can assure you we are proud of the club's attendance.

Fair comment - I never thought of that! Duh ...sorry

Figures taken from official SWPL website

Parkway

Highest attendance 384

Lowest attendance 85

Total so far 1174

Home games 8

Average attendance 146.75

Not bad stats for a side allegedly struggling to get an attendance.

I am sure their are plenty of teams in this division who would love to say they have these figures.

Before making such a stupid remark at least get some facts behind it.

I do not consider my remark stupid in any way, althouth you are entitled to your flippant comment.

Whilst the average attendance is very good, it could be a lot better. Just consider the catchment area to start with!

I and I am not alone, regularly look at local fixtures to look for a local fixture that might be of interest. If Saltash United are not playing, I often go to the likes of Plymouth Parkway, Torpoint Athletic, Likeard Athletic or Elburton Villa. At those game, I often see "familiar faces", who like me, enjoy a good game of "footie".

Unfortunately, there are "football followers" who stay away from Plymouth Parkway, as they don't want to put any money in their "coffers". Simply because they dislike the attitude of some of the players.

That amounts to 5134 people per club in Plymouth, which unless I am mistaken is 2872 people more for each club than at Witheridge.

Just a thought, don't shoot the messenger.......

Lets do the maths another way.

Say Plymouth has a population of 256,700. Plymouth Argyle's average attendance was 8613 (http://www.pafc.co.uk/page/Attendance/0,,10364~201010364,00.html). (8613 / 256700) * 100 = 3.355% of the population of Plymouth on average last season.

Say Witherage has a population of 2262. Witheridge's average attendance was 68. (68 / 2262) * 100 = 3.006% of the population of the town.

So already a higher percentage of the town attend Argyle's games than attend Witheridge games. Obviously Argyle have support from outside the city but it's likely that Witheridge also have supporters that travel from outside Witheridge to support their club.

The point being that whilst Parkway do have an excellent catchment area they are very much in direct competition, not only with Argyle, but with Plymouth Albion and Plymouth Raiders, not to mention football fans from just outside the City that might follow Elburton, Saltash, Torpoint or Ivybridge.

There goes 10 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

If attendances were worked out for saturday games only im sure most plymouth teams ie elburton ivybridge parkway would all work out pretty even the fact parkway play nearly 2/3rds of home games of an evening mostly fridays bumps up the stats i think friday night games is good for local football its good for clubs aswell.