Cornwall Football Forum

Same Debate; Year in, Year Out!

Every season the question of promotion from the Premier Division comes up and everytime it is the Clubs involved that get dragged through the ringer.

In recent weeks, I have seen people slate the Clubs that dont want to take it, then others go on record as saying that for some; it is just a PR excercise!

There are contradictions running through the posts of many so I want to play devils advocat here....

COULD THE LEAGUES OFFICERS & THE CCFA BE THOSE TO BLAME IN THE MAIN?

Correct me if I am wrong but the officers of the SWPL came together to facilitate the pyramid system of the FA and even under the noses of the CCFA; this is not happening.

If Clubs are ALLOWED to take the decision not to go up, the buck need not totally sit with them in my opinion.

With relative pittance being offered in lieu of expenses paid by some, it is clear that Clubs are not competing at this level for the winnings. If that is the case, would a restructure of prize money be a worthy idea, being weighted in the favour of those who may need help in taking MANDATORY PROMOTION?

A £2k or £3k Purse re-organised from other Prize funds (Including Cups) would soften the blow and help towards transport etc.

Is anyone from the CCFA/SWPL asking the Soho Arm for help towards such geographical problems?

If they want to stick to their blue print of the pyramid system, it would be extremely difficult for them to brush the issue under the table as in this era of equality for all; they could not be seen to ignore the pleas of the CCFA if they were to express a wish for Cornish Clubs to rise up the system.

Do the powers that be at a National level understand the predicatment that some Devon and Cornwall Clubs face?

I wonder if our County reps are shouting loud enough.

For those teams that dont want promotion, we may see a natural reduction in expenses as the more ambitious players that deserve their fee will end up at the ambitious club they deserve. Non ambitious Clubs would not want to be buying themselves a top 3 finish for fear of having to go up the Pyramid.

In the pro game we have a balloon payment to help lessen the burden of relegation.

At this level we almost need the same, on a lesser scale but in reverse, to help Clubs promote themselves.

With the money at the FA's disposal when you consider Capello's Salary and the overspend at Wembley etc, surely they could not refute the claim of any ambitious Club at this end of the country?

Has the question even been asked?

If the Cornish and Devon FA's joined forces on such a propostion, the FA would have to listen!

I've tried to be constructive but wonder if we have a regional problem due a regional attitude.

We all moan at others regardless of whether we have our own houses in order and the irony of all of this is that many of those who have thrown mud at St Blazey in the past, Buckland and now Bodmin are the same people that on other threads are having a dig at Truro, who are trying to buck that very trend!

At last somebody talking sense, i believe teams should have to take promotion if playing in the pyramid and financial help from the FA would be a good incentive. It would sort out the ambitious clubs from the glory hunters if the financial side of things became easier. I reckon if teams continue not to take promotion the FA will take the choice away and down grade the league to level 7. In Cornwall i think a Cornwall Senior League is on the horizon which would suit the likes of Bodmin who are a good club but need to be in their comfort zone.

I have mention the subject of payments for promotion on previous threads. If the FA want promotion through the pyramid they need to start offering financial support, £50,000 - £100,000 over a 2-3 year period with some of the money being returned if they are relegated in the first season.

In short, if the FA want the pyramid, start paying for it

Apologies if you have already raised the subject Hedgerow, I wasnt aware.

It would be interesting to have the argument priced to estimate the costs involved.

Not sure I agree on the repaying of monies with relegation though as that would add further pressure and perhaps another reason for Clubs to remain "Local".

Certainly, some sort of financial injection for perhaps 3 years from date of promotion would be good.

This would give Clubs a long enough period to attempt to stabilise themselves.

Any relegation would see an end to such balloon payments as the "better" players would then have to be subsidised by the Club shoud they wish to keep them at a lower level and that money could be passed back into the fund for those teams going the other way.

It would be very interesting to hear the opinions of the CCFA/SWPL.

Those Clubs who would still continue to pay big expenses and finish mid table so as to avoid a promo......bigger fool them!