Cornwall Football Forum

Vospers vacancy???

News filtering through from the Weston Mill club that current manager Martin Burgess and his assistant Kev Harley will be stepping down at the end of the season. Currently lying third in the league and having finished fourth last season, they have done a fine job with no budget.

All the best for the future. Shame their is no facilities to progress the club further. Nothing more frustrating i imagine, competing for top place and even if you get it not being able to progress.

Seems some football clubs have their attention focused off field ... off football matters. Discuss....... :)

After our 3 year commitment, which had been the plan from day 1 with Vospers Oak Villa F.C, Kev Harley (assistant manager) and i have given our notice of resignation from the club at the end of the season. We have thoroughly enjoyed the challenges we have faced over this period but firmly believe we have taken the club as far as we can. When we were appointed, we inherited a side 3rd from bottom in the league with no reserve team in place. We take great pride in helping the club turn the corner and turning them into a top 4 side in the Division 1 West league whilst once again establishing a reserve side.

I would like to publicly thank chairman John Cooper for his tremendous support over the past seasons. John and his small band of committee members work tirelessly for the club and don't get the credit they deserve. My biggest thanks must go to the players i have been luckily enough to work with. Their dedication and loyalty to Kev and i has been second to none whilst not even taking a penny in expenses from the club.

Whoever the next manager maybe, they will find a great bunch of players and committee to work with and i sincerely wish them and Vospers all the very best.

I have no plans on where my future holds but i'm certain that Kev and I still wish to be involved in local football. We still have a job to finish at Vospers and our preseason goal of a top four finish is certainly still within our grasp.

Good team but no hope of progression. Why do the players bother?

At a guess, they just enjoy playing at a high level in the county. Can't help but think that if a club with more potential came along with a seven day request for a player it would be hard to turn down.

Good look Martin and to Kev wherever you head to next. I think you are a brilliant Manager and assistant and it was a pleasure to work at the clubs I did with you both, pity for a short time, that's down to me really, but good luck on the next challenge.

You have proved from Saltash United reserves on ECPl and now Vospers OV In Peninsula West that each League is a progression in your Management and would not be suprised with your qualities and also the standard of some of the Vospers current squad that you will be in the Premier very soon to better the challenges in this county of local football.

Good luck to all players and officials at Vospers for the future without Martin and Kev from next season onwards.

Good team but no hope of progression. Why do the players bother?

By the same logic you could apply that to Bodmin Town .

Vospers can't progress do to ground criteria, Bodmin can progress but choose not to presumably do to lack of ambition, so not the same really. i'm afraid Bodmin are stuck in the age of the South Western League which was changed because it became stagnant, same will happen to SWPL unless promotion becomes compulsory.

I am still of the opinion that pushing clubs to move up the footbal pyramid, with all the extra travelling/player expenses putting a severe strain on clubs finances, could see some clubs getting in financial turmoil. But allowing clubs to "cream off" the best players in the area, winning the league frequently and lacking the ambition to go for promotion, is going to "stagnate" the league.

Perhaps there could be a ruling based on the number of league championships won within a 3 or 5 year period. If a club wins the title twice within three years or three out of five, thay are obliged to take promotion.

i am pleased to say well done to a great management dual at Vospers Oak Villa. In what is a strong league with quite a few clubs with decent budgets Newquay top of the tree (Vospers beat away, unlucky to lose at home too) Helston, Wadebridge and Penryn all paying out. Even clubs who are mid table either have win bonus or pay out small amounts Plymstock, Dobwalls.

Martin and Kev have both had no money since they have been there a competed really well hence 3rd with games in hand. So good luck to them hope they get a chance at any bigger club looking for a decent proven manager.

I have heard rumours of a few names have chucked there name into the hat..........

Dane Bunney & Scott Bamford

Tatts at Parkway seconds

Paul Andrews and Blakey at Dobwalls watch this space

Al Capone - Helston don't pay, Fact! They have had a good season through hard work, great team spirit and a willingness to listen and learn each week. They are a club utilising local talent to it's fullest extent and their League position is justification of this. Oh and a great bar and social atmosphere makes looking forward to playing footy on a weekend a whole lot easier!

Helston don't pay?????? Anyone in the know will find that statement amusing!!!!!

I've also heard rumours on who's applying for the Vospers Job. Speaking to a few of the Parkway reserve lads, they seem to think that Tatts is trying to get involved. Whats going on at Parkway????? Why would he want to leave the set up down there for that of Vospers?

I've heard Dane and Baggy have applied. After unsuccessfully applying for the Plymstock job, Vospers would be an obvious application.

Vospers would be a good job for any local P&D up and coming manager or even a possible comeback for Darren Raven?

May be a tough job for a new manager to come in and do. After doing well this season, if the current squad go off elsewhere then the new manager/s will have to rebuild and i'm not sure how attractive vospers would be to most players if they aren't paying out? Would have liked to see how far the club could have gone into next season if Martin and Kev stayed at the helm though...

I have heard rumours of a few names have chucked there name into hat...

Paul Andrews and Blakey at Dobwalls watch this space

Ive heard that Blakey and Paul are happy at Dobwalls. Got a great set up of you gsters and are the team to watch out for the future!

Helston don't pay?????? Anyone in the know will find that statement amusing!!!!!

I've also heard rumours on who's applying for the Vospers Job. Speaking to a few of the Parkway reserve lads, they seem to think that Tatts is trying to get involved. Whats going on at Parkway????? Why would he want to leave the set up down there for that of Vospers?

I've heard Dane and Baggy have applied. After unsuccessfully applying for the Plymstock job, Vospers would be an obvious application.

Vospers would be a good job for any local P&D up and coming manager or even a possible comeback for Darren Raven?

Funny how Dane Bunney / Ravo gets touted for most football jobs. Same old story!!!

And how are you 'in the know' then jannerlad?? Be interesting to find out how you've come to that conclusion all the way from Plymouth??

i know Plymstock are paying at least £5 and 2 drink vouchers, was more earlier in the season and alot more than vospers.

i see they have replaced Aaron Hume with the super fit Jamie Daniels hahaha good job you boys play on a small pitch with the likes of Yates, Pooks, Burgs up top. could never call the grafters......

Well I know Duncan Duthie gets 25 a game!!!

LMAO No he doesnt he gets his envelope same as everyone else with £5 and 2 drink vouchers nothing more so 25 is a joke. I physically see the money in his envelope.

i know Plymstock are paying at least £5 and 2 drink vouchers, was more earlier in the season and alot more than vospers.

i see they have replaced Aaron Hume with the super fit Jamie Daniels hahaha good job you boys play on a small pitch with the likes of Yates, Pooks, Burgs up top. could never call the grafters......

Hardly say replaced but yes there is a lack of people running around like headless chickens up top but still getting results....Stoke or Man U, a wins a win no matter how it happens!

Pretty sad to read people's shock that we at Helston are not being paid! Pretty much every player lives in or around Helston. We enjoy playing together and love the off pitch banter, along with a great management team! We even pay fines out of our own pockets, crazy!! Just goes to show money isn't everything for every player!

Once again this is going off track . . . . becoming the "do helston pay show" ?!!

Martin & Kev will be a big loss to the West 1 League and no doubt even bigger loss to Vospers. Have enjoyed locking horns with them over the past 2 seasons and damm them they won every time.

Think their teams have always worked hard and had a real togetherness which usually wins games.

If they do move on to the Premier League then I wish them every success.

Finally, just to dismiss a bit of speculation linked to this topic - Paul Andrew & myself (Mark Blake) are catergorically not putting our names in the hat for the vacancy.

Like baby bruv has already posted (Blakey07) we are really happy at Dobwalls and like Martin & Kev we have a project that is 3 or 4 year's long which we are 2 year's into.

Last season mid-table, this season good cup run and hopefully top 6 finish and then hopefully build on things over the next 2 year's to bring Dobwalls some long overdue and well deserved success. We have a squad who's average age is only 20 and they will only get better and with one of the best playing surfaces in Cornwall we wouldn't be held back like Martin & Kev are if promotion opportunity came our way.

Best of luck in your next venture guys and hopefully now with someone else at the helm we might actually get a couple of points against Vospers next season . . . . .

Mark