Cornwall Football Forum

The best of the best?

Guest smashing pumpkin

if football standards are declining what is the solution to make it better.

where are we goin wrong.

is it due to the coaching and training or down to some players attitudes and commitment.

In my time I have noticed that players are not as committed as they used to be or have more interests. When i was a youngster many moons ago, all i wanted to do was play football and would play 3 matches in a weekend. Now i am not saying ALL players are like that but it is more and more common. Also, a lot of young players are influenced by what they see in the media - you only have to look at some players body-language and actions on the field. Dont think this is just an issue with football but society as a whole.

Dont think it will change overnight sadly

In my time I have noticed that players are not as committed as they used to be or have more interests. When i was a youngster many moons ago, all i wanted to do was play football and would play 3 matches in a weekend. Now i am not saying ALL players are like that but it is more and more common. Also, a lot of young players are influenced by what they see in the media - you only have to look at some players body-language and actions on the field. Dont think this is just an issue with football but society as a whole.

Dont think it will change overnight sadly

i used to play 3 matches on a weekend

thought i was indestructible!

would never let my kids do it now!

i let my son play a maxiumum of twice a week!

absolutely ruined my joints and body playing too much!

bloddy loved it though and wouldnt have had it any other way although sundays are not that great nowadays for me!!!!

BTW Blazey every time for me!

Neither are best of the best, just best of the two, there have been much better Cornish teams i.e Falmouth Saltash Liskeard in the 70,s and 80,s all won western league at some stage.

Some would argue though that the St Blazey and Bodmin sides would compare with the Cornish Western League sides mentioned - most of the players in both St Blazey and Bodmin squads would have or are good enough for that league.

Neither are best of the best, just best of the two, there have been much better Cornish teams i.e Falmouth Saltash Liskeard in the 70,s and 80,s all won western league at some stage.
Some would argue though that the St Blazey and Bodmin sides would compare with the Cornish Western League sides mentioned - most of the players in both St Blazey and Bodmin squads would have or are good enough for that league.
They are now Dave, not sure many would have been good enough back then, lot of ex pro's around like Joe Scott Mark Rowe etc etc don't know maybe i'm suffering from the older i get the better i was syndrome just what i see now and remember then. Nanks could well be right maybe Bodmin Blazey have been the best ever. I remember the Western as being very competitive and a tough league to win. Just my opinion .

Admittedly it's a debate that will never be proven as to who is right, however having said that, the original subject was comparing two teams of only a 10 year gap between them. St Blazey from the season 2001/02 and this season's Bodmin Town. Things have moved on in that time, but not as much as trying to include the 1970s etc

The squad from the quadruple season that I can remember off the top of my head was -

Sid Taylor

Dave Leonard

Neil Burton

Matt Parsons

Steve Daly

Ian Gosling

Justin Harrington

Graham Waters

Glyn Hooper

Dom Richardson

Dan Nancarrow

Dale Band

The squad from the quadruple season that I can remember off the top of my head was -

Sid Taylor

Dave Leonard

Neil Burton

Matt Parsons

Steve Daly

Ian Gosling

Justin Harrington

Graham Waters

Glyn Hooper

Dom Richardson

Dan Nancarrow

Dale Band

I must say that is a formidable team, by far the best in recent times.