Cornwall Football Forum

Torpoint Athletic

QUOTE:

Torpoint Athletic nearly folded mid-way through the season because of money troubles, a senior club official has revealed. Paul Whitworth, chairman of the South West Peninsula League told the annual presentation evening at the Mill that only hard work by the committee and sponsors kept the club going.

Whitworth now hoped the club would not find itself in the same position again- but he appealed for more volunteers to step forward. He said "We have to have more people working for the club and not the usual handful of the faithful who appear to carry the club through".

UNQUOTE.

I was quite shocked to read this story in THE HERALD recently.

How many more clubs are in the same situation, but have yet to reveal?

Unless clubs make their supporters aware, help will not be forthcoming.

Exactly.

Those words were chosen as "shock tactics" and were a referral to the social club.

A £150k turnover business that half a dozen volunteers run and manage to break even, so that we can enjoy our hobby of watching football.

Without going into too many details, a number of unpaid bills were uncovered. Most clubs probably have a few.

Whilst not a massive amount of money (even £1k is a lot when you break even) it was enough of a worry.

Fortunately the help of a couple of supporters and some cutbacks (putting more work on the dedicated few) has seen us through.

I'm determined it wont come close again and lots of effort is being put in to start making a profit.

The reason for the words used last Saturday were to wake a few people up to whats involved in running a club at this level.

More hands on board. Use the club more

That bit in bold is probably wished by every committee that owns there own ground and clubhouse.

Exactly.

Those words were chosen as "shock tactics" and were a referral to the social club.

A £150k turnover business that half a dozen volunteers run and manage to break even, so that we can enjoy our hobby of watching football.

Without going into too many details, a number of unpaid bills were uncovered. Most clubs probably have a few.

Whilst not a massive amount of money (even £1k is a lot when you break even) it was enough of a worry.

Fortunately the help of a couple of supporters and some cutbacks (putting more work on the dedicated few) has seen us through.

I'm determined it wont come close again and lots of effort is being put in to start making a profit.

The reason for the words used last Saturday were to wake a few people up to whats involved in running a club at this level.

More hands on board. Use the club more

That bit in bold is probably wished by every committee that owns there own ground and clubhouse.

Good to hear that matters are in hand and Torpoint will survive.

There are lots of good people behind all our football clubs, who tirelessly put time and effort into the survival of the clubs. Whilst we all enjoy the rivalary between our clubs nobody wants to see a club disappear from the scene.

If clubs are sort of committee members, helpers or funds, wouldn't a little "transparancy" be helpful?

Guest Monty

I think you will find that every club in the SWPL and a few others dotted around the county are running at a loss or ethier struggling with finances. Until clubs stop paying players mega money then it is only a matter of time before a club vanishes or indeed ends up where millbrook are now ( no disrespect) a wonderful SWL side who were always there or there abouts and even sold there floodlights?

Take heed of Monty's post, the main reason clubs run at a loss is because the amount of expenses paid far outweigh admission fees social club profits and fundraising etc. It is level 6 football for heavens sake and to my limited knowledge Devon and Cornwall clubs are the only ones that pay their players, some level 6 players up country actually pay to play. It needs to stop sooner rather than later

Guest Monty

Further to that, i do not understand the need to have a players budget if clubs within Cornwall have no intention of getting promoted to higher leagues. When i was in Germany playing, on no occassion would you be payed but we had a club mini bus and by heck did we look the part with tracksuits,training tops and equipment and that made you want to stay at the club. Ever since i have come back to this country and particular this county i could never understand that clubs were nearly killing themselves just to get a named player, Even when i played in dorset where i was stationed for 3 years, it was never an agenda to pay a player a salary. The priority at a well run club was the club itself and making sure that the clubhouse, training facilities etc etc were affordable and something that everybody was proud of.

Further to that, i do not understand the need to have a players budget if clubs within Cornwall have no intention of getting promoted to higher leagues. When i was in Germany playing, on no occassion would you be payed but we had a club mini bus and by heck did we look the part with tracksuits,training tops and equipment and that made you want to stay at the club. Ever since i have come back to this country and particular this county i could never understand that clubs were nearly killing themselves just to get a named player, Even when i played in dorset where i was stationed for 3 years, it was never an agenda to pay a player a salary. The priority at a well run club was the club itself and making sure that the clubhouse, training facilities etc etc were affordable and something that everybody was proud of.

Bang on Monty .................... :thumbsup:

Agree with you there monts, it should be about pushing the club forward, if you take the average £350 a game budget and pumped it into the club each year, instead of players, think of the ground improvements you could make. Your looking at about £14000 a year. Once the improvements are there and you look the part people will want to play for your club. Monts why are you not putting yourself forward for any of these vacancies. ?

Guest Monty

I went into refereeing in december 2009 and havent looked back since. Its too much of a fulltime job as a manager. IE Players who get left out want to be cuddled and assured all the time instead of trying to prove themselves and working hard in training, and if left out over a period of time will leave for a club down the road. Also as a manager you need help with a sidekick or two and on top of that a club thats willing to back what you are doing rather than trying to win the league at all costs. If you are a good football person with a vast knowledge of the game and training is good fun and at the same time relevant to football then you will be a good manager no matter what squad you have, If you are all having fun then confidence will come natrually and then results will follow enabling you to become a good club with good facilities and most of all a fun enviroment that everyone wants to be a part of. No player budget, unless travel expenses for a player who has a car load to away games, this means that when you need new bibs training aids etc then there wont be a problem because you have the monies to do it. Look the part be the part and the battle is half won before you enter the pitch and in due course your players will realise this and the the world is your oyster.

There are many players who contribute on this site, what are your views on clubs cutting back on their costs and only paying "expenses".

The only payment would be for true costs incurred for playing for a club.

Until every club do the same there will always be a handful of clubs handing out the big bucks and winning everything until it can't be sustained